• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FBI Sniper Rifles

Because your question opens the door to the politics of the time and how people feel about it. @Skunk answered your question about the rifle. You asking why we're not happy about your questions shows you'd rather go down the politics road instead of the "what about rifles of the time road".

Added: If you want to take the road you continue to ask about, go start a thread in the Bear Pit.
^^^ This.

The question was phrased in an inflammatory manner. Go fight that fight in the Bear Pit. This is the vintage thread and none of that plays here. Right now we have some of the most important technical information being posted about a generation of vintage rifles that probably exists nowhere else on the Internet. By people who used those rifles and trained with them and built them. The last thing we need here is to send incredibly valued members of this community packing because someone wants to disturb the pot.

@MarinePMI do me a favor, and keep an eye out here. I know that the last time this kind of stuff reared up in this thread, some pot-stirrers went on permanent vacation. Bancat is hungry... I can feel it.

Cheers and well said, @sandwarrior .

Sirhr

Weapons in use were at that time frame by HRT were,
Quantico built 700 to the specs I posted several pages back.
A real Colt M4, 14.5" bbl, non suppressed.
H&K MP5-SD, 9mm.

I have no personal knowledge of the weapons the U.S. Marshalls were using at that time.

I didnt see any upset in Skunks answer, nor is there any in mine.

H&K MP5-SD, 9mm.

I have no personal knowledge of the weapons the U.S. Marshalls were using at that time.

There are (and were) limited issued integrally suppressed Ruger .22lr. They have been in inventory for a very very long time.

H&K MP5-SD, 9mm.

Not to nit pick, but those M-4's were actually XM-177'S weren't they? I thought M-4's didn't really exist until after GWOT kicked off (unless my memory is really slipping). Six in one hand, half dozen in the other, I suppose...

ETA: Belay my last, I know what you mean now. They were the Colt branded carbines at that time. The XM-177's were 10.5" barrels. I just needed to think back for second....

Reactions: j-huskey
@MarinePMI said "Colt branded carbines..."

A little fun-fact... "Colt Pattern Carbine" is in fact what the FBI calls its "M4" rifles today.

Anyhow, back to sniper rifles.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I thought the detail shot of the paint pen on the action screws would be interesting for anyone wanting to recreate one of these rifles....

Screenshot_20200910-071041_Chrome.jpg

And it keeps changing, 9 days ago it said ? Bc 8 days ago it was edited.

And its irrelevant to the topic here. The Rifles....

The same as discussing 'one' of the people who used the M40 in RVN in the M40 - M40A1 build topics.

Last edited:
Exactly. If ones knowledge of FBI Sniper Rifles and/or Program begins and ends with Lon, I seriously doubt there is much they can contribute here.

Besides I think only Jhuskey would be old enough here to know stuff about that.. Im thinking Skunk probably had more interest in a ford muscle car with his mullet and two tone Ozzy shirt back then.

I would highly suggest you move on to another thread, and if possible, one that isn't so inflammatory. We've been making it a policy lately (due to COVID and people with too much time on their hands), to ban trolls and pot stirrers who provide no meaningful value to the Forums.

Don't be that guy.

"I would highly suggest you move on to another thread, and if possible, one that isn't so inflammatory. We've been making it a policy lately (due to COVID and people with too much time on their hands), to ban trolls and pot stirrers who provide no meaningful value to the Forums. "

I will leave this subject alone and concentrate only on FBI rifles.

First time I have ever seen a photo in the wild, wish they would offer this commercially.

I think it's basically a 700 trigger with no safety, though the exterior dimensions may be a little different for fitment to the HS receiver. It, of course, has its own part number. It's a nice trigger and comes pre-set from Geissele.

I’ll echo what Skunk said. It’s not substantially different than the standard Super 700. The shoe angle is nice, though.

Reactions: Skunk
Yeah, I enjoyed the 14.5." That upper shot real well, but I bet it had 3" of bore with no lands/grooves in it. Liked the "ping" of that 4-prong flash suppressor.

And, if anyone is wondering, I have no idea whether or not Ron Cornoochi ever used one such weapon.

Details on the 5.56 uppers?

Not much I can tell you that can’t be seen in that picture.

Those came out at a time when all of the “Colt pattern carbines” were being shortened to 11.5” from 14.5” or 16.”

Someone in Quantico decided we needed a “DMR” platform, even though there was no DMR role, and those uppers got put together out of cannibalized parts and pushed out to SWAT teams.

Not having any pictures other than the one I posted, I’d say it probably had a Geissele gas block, the Troy hand guard, Smith(?) flash suppressor, and Colt/milspec receiver, BCG and barrel.

They didn’t last long in the field before being called back to Quantico because BRF hadn’t gotten the opportunity to “approve” the upper even though it was built of parts we’d been using in one form or another for years..... They were pretty short-lived and haven’t been replaced by anything similar.

I can't remember, but maybe you can. Was it the FBI that had the under-sized 9mm bolt faced MP-5's? Used special undersized case head ammo with no casehead markings?...

ETA: NVM, come to think of it, that was another agency. Getting old sucks...

That's what it was, the 10mm MP-5's were FBI. The other "unique" MP-5's were used by the FBI's international counterpart. Special ammo was made in Canada IIRC...

The FBI had the MP5SF. It was a semi auto version of mp5. I’m not sure about bolt face. Those were issued to non-SWAT SAs.

Last edited:
Any y’all know what load was used in the MP5/10mm?
Shame H&K don’t sell that on the civilian market. A 10mm SBR is a lot of whollop in a small package. Perfect for a truck/car gun w/ folding/collapsible stock.

Reactions: JeffLebowski