• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Federal 215 vs 215Match?

Re: Federal 215 vs 215Match?

They are the same. But the 215M's are made with more diligence to insure consistency.

I never noticed a difference between them. But then again I was only looking for "minute of beast" at closer ranges with my magnum loads, not MOA at long ranges......

Bob

Many years ago a friend that used to work there told me the only difference was that the "M"s are inspected one more time than the high production models.

I never noticed any difference in accuracy, velocity, ES or SD between the 215 and 215M and the same for the 210 and 210M.

I haven't used any Federal primers since right after Federal sold the primer division to Blount (CCI). Regular Winchester blue box primers have given me better numbers than anything else.

The chrono blew over and broke before I got to test the 210s vs the 210Ms last week, but I got a SD of 7.x with the 210Ms and 8.x with Winchester Large Rifle Primers. I've always used match/benchrest primers, but after my unofficial test, I am going to switch to regular primers for 'tactical' work and leave the expensive primers for the benchresters. $0.02

I've heard many urban legends about what makes the 210/215 different from the 210M/215M. I sure would like to hear someone from Federal answer this. But, from my experience, I have chrono'd loads using different primers and have seen first-hand the difference. I even experimented with 210M for a match .300 WinMag, and got lower standard deviations than with the 215 or 215M primers. If I'm looking for match-level, LONG-range performance (where SDs translate into elevation problems/dispersion), then I test starting with Match primers. Federal and CCI match primers are very good. If I'm just looking for training/non-match ammo, then I save my money and use what I can find for a good price. The only way to really know, is load test, at the longest distance you have access to, and with a chronograph.