• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Federal brass

Smallmouth Crazy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Does anybody use it?? any opinions of it good or bad?? I was surfing around Natchezz website lastnight and noticed that its noticebly cheaper than the Winchester brass that I normally use, I seen that you can get 222 brass for less than $20 per 100 where as Im paying a little better than 25 for the Win, my luck they are out of stock on most of the Federal brass at this time..but I thought if I could learn a little more about it now then I can possibly jump if it becomes available again. Thanks

Re: Federal brass

FWIW, I use Federal brass if I'm just recycling brass from factory ammo.

From what I understand it's softer than other choices, so it's lifespan is going to be less. I've gotten about 5-7 reloads out of it with annealing / full length sizing. Neck sizing only will likely get you some more, but at some point the primers will loosen up.

If I was buying new brass, I'd pay a little more and get Lapua...it'll probably be cheaper in the long run.

Thanks for the info, I normally buy Remington or Winchester and when I seen the price on the Federal I was like WOW thats cheap, I have been going through a bit of sticker shock with brass lately..it just seems like it has went up so much(probably just me) I plan on buying some brass this next month and was just wondering if it was something I should consider.

Yes, it wouldn't be my first choice, but if you have it, shoot it up and wear it out. It is a little softer and will stretch more when firing and FL sizing. This will mean more trimming after sizing. I know guys that shoot it with good results. If you do switch brass, check you load and neck tension to see if switching brass has changed things.

Federal brass is less desirable, moreso the hotter you choose to reload it. The main problem is loose primer pockets after fewer reloads of the same stiffer loads. For some cartridges and loads, this is less of an issue, because pressures are lower and primer pocket expansion is reduced.

There is a 'Case Saver" primer pocket swage tool available for large and small primer pockets which reportedly resizes primer pockets to a useable diameter, but I can't speak about it from experience.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't buy it....but if I get it for free I use the hell out of it.

I prefer Winchester if I am buying new brass. </div></div>

That's want I was thinking.

If I pick it up I use it, it gets loaded with my 150gr plinking loads. The case heads are kinda soft, they only last 2 reloads with my stout loads whereas the Win and RP brass runs for about 9 loads before the primer pockets get loose.

If you have it, use it.

I think its just like their shot shells.trash.tried to load some and ended up with case separation on the first load.didn't have anyone to worn me then.should have known when it did the same with their shot shells.so I just pick it up for scrap brass to got too the scrap yard.but this is just my opinion.

I used to load it twice and leave it laying at the range. Now I pick it up to recycle.
I understand there was someone in Atlanta making a device to squeeze the heads back down smaller but I have no details on such.

Anybody heard of this?

I don't hot-rod my loads enough to loosen the primer pockets--at least in the 3 reloads I'm on right now. Federal brass.

Yeah, the heads are soft. I expect my semiauto to wear them out with case stretch before the rims get chewed up too much to work. Or maybe the rims will get chewed up too much first.

My older batch (yes, I got MORE--for a very, very nice price), however, is what you might call "select". They were fired from a/a couple of bolt gun(s?) in the summer in southern Nevada, and about half of them showed ejector marks as once-fired factory load brass. On my first reload, I found some percentage to already be loose in the primer pocket, and I sorted them out and tossed them.

No new loose pockets. Almost all have been fired with 45.5 of WW748 or an equivalent load of WCC 844 or WCC 846, and Moly'd 147-gr cheapo FMJBTs.

Note that--no new loose pockets. I shouldn't tell you this, lest word get out that FC brass is NOT total junk.