• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s Fellow Motorheads!

Mead

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Wyoming
It's been a long time coming, but I've finally got myself a project car. It's a '76 BMW 2002 that I will be converting to EFI and turbocharging, and I started a blog to chronicle it all! Hope you guys enjoy, and I hope I can answer any questions or provide help to anyone doing something similar.

Cheers!

M10Turbo

photo-9.JPG

Re: Fellow Motorheads!

I'm shooting for ~275 hp, so there should be about 8 lbs for every horsepower...should be pretty quick considering my '07 GTI had a horsepower for every 16 LBS! With a bigger turbo I could really make a mess!

Sweet, my DD right now is an 02 WRX wagon with a full JDM STI spec C swap, and im pulling around 450 to the wheels, I love roasting people on the streets that have no idea what the car is, the looks of bewilderment are priceless.

Mate

Pretty cool looking car... will look for updates!

Im rebuilding a Datsun P510 with SR20 turbo... sweet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ackley Improved</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mate

Im rebuilding a Datsun P510 with SR20 turbo... sweet! </div></div>

I hate you.....

The funny part is my girlfriend always asks me why i didn't pick a better looking car...I'll never understand that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ackley Improved</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mate

Im rebuilding a Datsun P510 with SR20 turbo... sweet! </div></div>

Funny you mention that...saw a P150 at the track today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill the Lurker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought this was about Lemmy. Sorry.</div></div>
Ha, I was on the fence as to which he meant... glad to see I wasn't the only one... that would have been a good thread too.

The new 3 series has a 240hp turbo 2.0 liter I4 that might make a nice engine, if you want to stay somewhat true to heritage...

Have you seen the positive displacement blower (ie kenne bell, roots etc) with a turbo lol? Compound boost.... Fn sick.

A company called helios, if I remember right, had a few setups using that. Spent a little time in Georgia at Modular powerhouse with my car (the GAP of newer mustangs lol) and they had a car there with a setup similar to the helios ones. Nastiest thing I have ever heard.

Looks like that will be a fun project. 8lb per hp is no joke. You will make quite a few people ashamed at the stop lights.

heritage schmeritage lol. Light the tires.

The cool thing is it will be pretty much all BMW parts...most of the EFI parts, minus the actual computer, come straight out of an E30 318i. Really the only non-BMW parts are the turbo, exhaust, and upgraded internals.

Well I finally got the (expletive) crank pulley nut off the crank, and I took it to the machine shop. After Larry is done with it there, I'll be ready to rebuild the top and bottom end, and start implementing the EFI.

Holy shit. It's been a while gents. Should have this thing running this weekend if I can find someone in Collegetown, Wyoming to weld me up a downpipe on the cheap.

My ride is an innocent looking orange, 1977 Datsun Pickup with a loaded 355 small block Chevy, running 400+ HP. Roasting people is a great joy, especially after they look down their nose at you and sneer!

Sounds like a great project. Best of Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm shooting for ~275 hp, so there should be about 8 lbs for every horsepower...should be pretty quick considering my '07 GTI had a horsepower for every 16 LBS! With a bigger turbo I could really make a mess! </div></div>

Mega squirt, and T03/04 will make 275 is an easy day.

Oh the memories!!! My first car was 2002. Will have to keep an eye on your project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill the Lurker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought this was about Lemmy. Sorry.</div></div>
Ha, I was on the fence as to which he meant... glad to see I wasn't the only one... that would have been a good thread too. </div></div>

Title got me too. :-/

Wow, your BMW brings back memories of BOBCOR for Alfa, I think it was Jim Morton in a Datsun 510, and Group 44 from Falls Church Va. for BLMC. I loved those cars. Watching your project with a lot of interest.

Maxwell

(Rats, I should have added that these were the drivers and cars that ran in SCCA racing when I was in high school. Old age stinks.)

Call it OCD, but please, put an isolator bushing, or some sort of bulkhead fitting with that battery cable going through the firewall. Thats a lot fo work, and you dont want a direct short. I do it for power and ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call it OCD, but please, put an isolator bushing, or some sort of bulkhead fitting with that battery cable going through the firewall. Thats a lot fo work, and you dont want a direct short. I do it for power and ground. </div></div>
How do you have a ground short to ground?

My project is a 69 Camaro i bought a couple years ago.
Work is slow on her since the funds are tight, but she has a sweet power plant ready and waiting.

I love the older BMW's. The newest I would ever get would be an E30. If you can't tell by the username I have an affinity for torque and race an svt cobra.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z28kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call it OCD, but please, put an isolator bushing, or some sort of bulkhead fitting with that battery cable going through the firewall. Thats a lot fo work, and you dont want a direct short. I do it for power and ground. </div></div>
How do you have a ground short to ground?

My project is a 69 Camaro i bought a couple years ago.
Work is slow on her since the funds are tight, but she has a sweet power plant ready and waiting.</div></div>

Thats my OCD. Nothing looks shittier than wires just run through sheet metal. But, to answer your question, I usually try to make the ground wire as short and as invisible as possible. Past experience has taught me that a bad ground (like one that is cut from a wire rubbing through a hole in sheetmatal) is the biggest cause in many auto-builds.

My friend has a 01 IROC 1LE, the ECM ground was not properly secured and was up against the arm for the brake pedal. Pushed the brakes and the car died. That was a lot of fun. It pulled the wire just enough out of its connection that it took a while to find it.

I was just giving you a hard time buddy. I agree with you, nothing is worse then chasing a intermittent problem from wiring.

That's the positive cable that is missing a grommet.... Pretty easy to short one of those and I'd give it less than 2000 miles before it does.