• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feral Dog Packs

from what I heard
1) Snares work wonders
2) if you love your pets, keep them home in a pen or tied up.
3) dog(s) and wolves will kill 20 - 30 sheep and not eat a single one. You'll spend the next hour; shooting the animals that have been hamstringed, gutted, wounded beyond healing. Most people don't understand DNA and years of crossbreeding for your perfect animal can be reduced in minutes.
4) Never feel bad, see rule #2
5) dogs love to chase horses through fences (barbed wire will rack up a quick vet bill). Some livestock won't take crap from 1 dog, they don't stand a chance against 2 or more dogs.
6) dogs and wolves will reduce your calf heard pretty quick. Coyotes have eaten calves as they are coming out of the birth canal. Cow can't do crap; since it's hips are locked up.
7) coyotes, wolves and dogs love snow with a hard crust. They'll run a healthy deer, sheep, Elk to exhaustion and then kill it. Predator runs on the crust while the said victim breaks through the snow. Sad thing to watch.

I snared quite a few coyotes here a few years back when I went after them with a vengeance. Unfortunately I got a couple around the body (I was a newb) and I'm sure they suffered before expiring (I check traps daily).

I stopped when I got of all things a yearling deer that had tried to shimmy under a five-strand barb-wire fence.

I still trap a lot of raccoons out here, but I just shoot the coyotes.

A couple "Lessons learned": 😄

1. Trying to hit dogs running from your 7 to 2 o'clock position with an LPVO at 80-120 yards works better at 3x - 4x magnification. When I started at about 60 yards (4x) they were too close, then I found my wheelhouse as they got further.

2. Using anything for support is better than nothing. Unfortunately I had my girls in the SxS so I jumped out and away a few steps before engaging.

3. Big enough difference in lead between day optic and thermal optic that it does make a difference. You can lead a foot or two less during the day. I hunt a lot with a thermal, so had to make a quick correction on the fly.

If it would have been at night with my thermal setup (tripod) I might have gone 4 or 5 for five...but no luck. I got the biggest three. Two of those were in the 70-80lb range. Way too big to be left alone.

I'd share a photo of the big two, but I am a dog lover and don't really think it to be real appropriate to show dead dogs...I'm not the AFT. The third got opened up, and there was just too much mess for a picture.

I took photographs because I want to be able to positively ID for an owner should one come asking.
Don't positively ID for any owner. Just say something like "Oh, I saw them them the other day. Do you always let your dogs run in packs?"

They have facebook/twitter pages devoted to "so and so killed my sweet, lovable fluffy".

Don't positively ID for any owner. Just say something like "Oh, I saw them them the other day. Do you always let your dogs run in packs?"

They have facebook/twitter pages devoted to "so and so killed my sweet, lovable fluffy".
Yes, " Seen them the other day" nothing more.

In Texas if you dispatch one, make sure it does not die off your property, that can cause you additional challenges. Even if it was damaging your livestock.

Bakers Chocolate and bacon grease reduces the herd quickly and without specific cause

Reactions: 308pirate
Sad but not uncommon event. I prefer animals to most people. That being said it's the fault of the owners etc who don't spay or neuter. I'll let them go if they aren't a problem. He'll, I am adopting dog napping a gypsy dog from down the road that keeps coming to my house.

But problem animals are just that and need to be dealt with.

Still makes me sad when I have to do it though.

Sad but not uncommon event. I prefer animals to most people. That being said it's the fault of the owners etc who don't spay or neuter. I'll let them go if they aren't a problem. He'll, I am adopting dog napping a gypsy dog from down the road that keeps coming to my house.

But problem animals are just that and need to be dealt with.

Still makes me sad when I have to do it though.
Anyone who does relishes the task is a shitball.

You are right armorpl8 nobody normal likes it. Accepts it and do what has to be done nothing more. It is a necessary and part of regular life more than half this country has no clue about living. We put down our own pets, livestock, chickens when needed. Don't like it or not feel it but it is the right thing to do. No animal I raise or pet I love is going to suffer or be put down by any but my hand.

Last edited:
from what I heard
1) Snares work wonders
2) if you love your pets, keep them home in a pen or tied up.
3) dog(s) and wolves will kill 20 - 30 sheep and not eat a single one. You'll spend the next hour; shooting the animals that have been hamstringed, gutted, wounded beyond healing. Most people don't understand DNA and years of crossbreeding for your perfect animal can be reduced in minutes.
4) Never feel bad, see rule #2
5) dogs love to chase horses through fences (barbed wire will rack up a quick vet bill). Some livestock won't take crap from 1 dog, they don't stand a chance against 2 or more dogs.
6) dogs and wolves will reduce your calf heard pretty quick. Coyotes have eaten calves as they are coming out of the birth canal. Cow can't do crap; since it's hips are locked up.
7) coyotes, wolves and dogs love snow with a hard crust. They'll run a healthy deer, sheep, Elk to exhaustion and then kill it. Predator runs on the crust while the said victim breaks through the snow. Sad thing to watch.
edit
8) There is NO such thing as an American wolf. ALL current live wolfs IN THE USA lower 48 are an INTRODUCTION of the Canadian Gray wolf. Wolves were hunted to extinction for good cause back in the early 1900's. If you wanted to see how big a f'n timber wolf is, go to Del Norte Colorado, and look at a stuffed one.
9) Wolves will eat people. Environmentalists will tell you, only 'sick' wolves will eat humans. BS. There are still reports of Russian wedding parties riding out into the woods and never returning home.
10) if you want to see what large packs of unregulated Predators will do, look at Yellowstone National Park; Use to be a ton of elk. Feds wouldn't let hunters thin the heard. They turned loose wolves; under the pretense that he heard needed to be thinned. You can tell a hunter, you can only shoot 1 elk, you can't tell a wolf, eat only 1 elk a year.
From experience: snares in a cattle pasture even in the fence can catch cows., especiallyif the pasture is small or bare enough that they graze between or through the fences. This makes for some crazy rodeos, so beware if you choose to do this. Make sure you always have a pair of snare cutters.

I'd share a photo of the big two, but I am a dog lover and don't really think it to be real appropriate to show dead dogs.
I have read your posts in this thread and very much respect your views and positions on this issue.

You did what had to be done....not what you wanted to do. That's the diff between a child and an man, IMO.

Reactions: diggler1833
Get a mule, they’ll take care of dogs and coyotes.
And lions.

1632172449510.png

A pack of dogs does not have to feral to be killers. Back in the 70's I lived in southwest Houston on the edge of the suburbs. About three miles down the road, where it was pastures and woods, an 11 or 12 year old was mauled to death by a pack of dogs. Each one of them had collars and tags. If I remember the story correctly, most of the owners were identified.

The kid had been dropped off by the school bus and to walk a bit further to get to his house.

As a retired Serviceman from an electric utility company I have encounted lots of dogs. The last time I remember a pack of them I had orders to remove the meter and service from an old farm house so it could be torn down. Torn down around here usually means that they dig a hole next to the house with a backhoe or trackhoe, push the house into the hole, set it on fire and cover it up when it quits burning. I drove up and got out of the truck, fetched my switch stick to open the transformer switch and here came a pack of dogs. I didn't have enough time to retreat so I chocked up on that switch stick and went to swinging. I injured several of them and they decided to leave. After I was ready to leave I called that farmer and warned him about the dogs. I think he got the rest of them with a Mini-14.

I can tell a lot of dog stories!

I was coming out the front door of my lakehouse here about ten years ago and was on the phone with a dispatcher at the Sheriff's Dept. about a burglary at another property when I ran face to face with a matching pair of huge Anatolian Shepard Dogs that were crossing the yard. They are big, tough, herd guarding wolf killers from some ancient 3rd world. They are also arrogant and aloof by the way they were trotting single file across my yard like they owned the place. I must have surprised them because they stopped and then came bounding at me growling with jaws snapping. I said Whoa! because they surprised me as well as I backed up to the door.

The lady dispatcher heard them and asked 'Is everything OK?' I told her two huge dogs just came at me as I was coming out the door. She asked 'Do you want me to send somebody?' LOL

I told her no, that I'd handle it and signed off. There was a collection of river rocks picked up from the lake on a porch rail and I grabbed a baseball size one and threw it at the lead dog. It went right into it's open snapping jaws and made a clacking sound. I know it broke teeth.

That adjusted it's arrogant attitude and they continued to trot on through with the one slinging bloody slobber out of it's mouth. I love dogs and I'm sure someone was proud of that matched pair of brutes and they may have been someone's herd guard dogs but free ranging together could have done some damage to whatever they encountered. Plus, the girlfriend and I raise abandoned, feral cats and something goes after the cats I shoot.

1632184190458.png

Sound strategies. Urban applications?
Demographics?

A community west of Austin on upper Lake Austin was always hit or miss since I was a kid, beginning with a mixture of half finished hippie houses in the 70's to modest track homes to a few bigger homes mixed in.

Then, with H.W. Bush's NWO open borders in the 80's, it became little Mexico, replete with yards housing fighting roosters and of course 'pete bools'. Those free ranging pit bulls would run the area like gangs, killing anything that was too slow to escape.

A little girl was outside playing in her yard when a pack of pit bulls pulled her off her tricycle and mauled her to death, all the while her methbillie father was napping inside the house.

Of course, no one came forward to claim ownership of the dogs as authorities were met with 'Nooo, no 'es mio' and no one was ever charged.

10) if you want to see what large packs of unregulated Predators will do, look at Yellowstone National Park; Use to be a ton of elk. Feds wouldn't let hunters thin the heard. They turned loose wolves; under the pretense that he heard needed to be thinned. You can tell a hunter, you can only shoot 1 elk, you can't tell a wolf, eat only 1 elk a year.
Yup.

a big reason for the “reintroduction “ was to end hunting there

A pack of dogs does not have to feral to be killers. Back in the 70's I lived in southwest Houston on the edge of the suburbs. About three miles down the road, where it was pastures and woods, an 11 or 12 year old was mauled to death by a pack of dogs. Each one of them had collars and tags. If I remember the story correctly, most of the owners were identified.

Revenge

Reactions: hollowoutadime
Mules are mean motherfuckers
And smart too. The long version of that lion killing incident was a husband and wife I believe were looking for some cows. When they stopped and got off they looked at their back trail and saw a lion was following them. The mule left them and killed the lion, there are a series of pics including one pic of him kneeling on it, and once finished calmly returned to his people.

And smart too. The long version of that lion killing incident was a husband and wife I believe were looking for some cows. When they stopped and got off they looked at their back trail and saw a lion was following them. The mule left them and killed the lion, there are a series of pics including one pic of him kneeling on it, and once finished calmly returned to his people.

I'd dump a wheelbarrow full of apples and carrots in that mule's stall when we got back to the barn