• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Feral Hog Hunting in South Texas Question

jmb1911

Dipshiticus
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
NE, AZ
Hello all.

I've searched all over the place for an answer to my very specific question and the best I can come up with still leaves some gray area. I was hoping someone could answer my question or point me toward someone/somewhere that can.

Let me quickly summarize my situation.

I recently moved to McAllen TX. A co-worker has access to hunting property (about 60 acres) north of Edinburg and said I could eradicate the hogs on the property. What kind of documentation do I need from her to have my ass covered? BTW, there is no charge or lease for the use of the property in question.

For the actual pig killing, I am under the impression I need a license/hunter education (which I have). I am also aware of the depredation stipulation inside the TPW language that says no license is needed, and I could easily made the depredation case. I am having my 17 year-old brother (from out of state) into town this weekend and want to take him out to do a bit of hog shooting. Does he need a license? My intuition tells me yes, but I honestly don't know.

Any direction ya'll could offer would be fantastic.

Re: Feral Hog Hunting in South Texas Question

hunting licenses all around....have the landowners phone number handy.......do not damage fences

do an AAR and post some pictures

+1, EVERYONE needs to posess a valid Texas Hunting license even for Rooters!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do an AAR and post some pictures </div></div>

10-4

AAR and pics to follow upon successful mission.

Liscense for all.

Nice thing is for Rooters is NVG's Supressors and Full Auto is LEGAL :D:D:D:D:

Licenses for both. If your brother hasn't had hunter's ed you can get a 1 year deferment if he's never have a license in TX before.

You ssid you recently moved here. You have to be a resident for 6 months to get a resident license, just FYI. To cover you get the landowner to write out a "permission" slip, so to speak. Brother can get the 5 day license for $45.

A license is much cheaper than a $200+ ticket.

I'm new to the area, not to Texas.

Been a Texan for about 3 years (born a Texan, but moved to AZ as a youn'an) but moved to Lubbock, TX for grad-school at Tech.

Been a Texican in the RGV for about 3 months. I have Texas license and hunter's ed. My little brother has hunter's ed too, but I don't think it transfers from AZ.

Since my little brother is a minor (turned 17 in March 2009) doesn't he qualify for a youth permit since they're (the licenses) only good through August? It's a difference of $40, so it isn't too big a deal, but a penny saved...

I appreciate the help on this issue. Keep it comin'.

Texas will recognize his hunter safety card. Age 17 and older need the adult license and it can be bought year to date instead of an August expiration.

Good luck hunting those critters. Only recently did our Game Commission allow us to hunt them here in Pa., although there are several counties that are off-limits. The Game Comm. folks are using those counties to study how best to find/trap them and do other studies. Otherwise they want them GONE.........

John

AAR:

Saw some VERY large hogs. A few that looked to be in the 250lb+ category.

They were about 260 (ranged) from my east fence. They were just chillin' on my neighbor's property both in the AM and PM when I went back.

Saw about 40...they were like cockroaches.

Third time out in South Texas. I saw a sum total of 8 whilst I hunted some public land in North Texas over the span of a year. I saw that in about 40 seconds in South Texas; there must be a real hog problem here.

I have a call in to my neighbor to see if he sells hog hunts or if they're just eating his deer chow. If the latter is true, I'll be havin' some fun Saturday morning.

Just to confirm:

If you are shooting depredating hogs (like if they're eating crops) that is the only situation where the regs say you don't need the license.

If there is money transferred, or you are just riding around in the truck, shooting them, or sitting in deer stands, I would get the lic. If you use any NFA weapons at all, or NVD's, GET THE LICENSE. Don't ever tempt a Game Warden, period.

All you need is the "exotics permit," which covers non-game species. the out of state exotic license is only $45. That is what I have my out of state guided hog hunters buy when they come to my place on guided hunts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HTR707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you need is the "exotics permit," which covers non-game species. the out of state exotic license is only $45. That is what I have my out of state guided hog hunters buy when they come to my place on guided hunts. </div></div>

Didn't know about the "exotics" angle. Good info.

Don't ever tempt a Game Warden, period.

Better advice has never been given....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robbf213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't ever tempt a Game Warden, period.

Better advice has never been given....</div></div>

Agreed.