• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fertilizer and GMO dumpster fire

If you had a mind that could think and reason, rather than regurgitate what its been fed by others even more ignorant, might be take your foolishness with more than a nano grain of salt.. Considering the source and depth of your ignorance, you're laughable. Grow up, learn to think outside your very small box.
Thank god we produce such an abundance of food that idiots like yourself can afford the luxury of buying “organic” or “natural” food. The simple fact is it not practical to produce it, as it requires a substantial amount more resources. How arrogant you must be to go around wasting resources and declaring that your shit don’t smell.

See now, this thread is starting to head in the dark direction I thought it might but kinda hoped it didn’t. The last few posts are now in the Bill Gates camp - there are too many humans to feed on a sustainable basis. If organic cant feed us and inorganic can but comes with a price tag, what to do?

So do we allow for GMOs and three-eyed fish and red tide from fertilizer runoff or do we allow for a population reduction and the corresponding reduction in technological advancement (fewer brains = fewer monkeys manning the typewriters)?

And I’m not eating bugs anymore so you can go somewhere else with your crickets and ants.

My post is a tongue in cheek critique of the completely ignorant "ban all enhanced farming" crowd.

Yield enhanced farming is what makes our economy surrounding food products work. People say "but organic isn't that much more expensive!!!"

It isn't that much more expensive because right now, 9/10 families buy the enhanced yield steak leaving the organic steak producer with a niche market. That stops being true if the primary market shifted onto all organics.

Put another way - the removal of yield enhancing techniques would result in all of the middle class instantly dropping into extreme poverty and all of the poverty class dropping into the crematorium.

My post is a tongue in cheek critique of the completely ignorant "ban all enhanced farming" crowd.

Yield enhanced farming is what makes our economy surrounding food products work. People say "but organic isn't that much more expensive!!!"

It isn't that much more expensive because right now, 9/10 families buy the enhanced yield steak leaving the organic steak producer with a niche market. That stops being true if the primary market shifted onto all organics.

Put another way - the removal of yield enhancing techniques would result in all of the middle class instantly dropping into extreme poverty and all of the poverty class dropping into the crematorium.
it’s a Gordian knot for sure. Whichever side of the argument you fall on it’s pretty hard to say we are not still agrarian dependent societies. And we still end up in defacto agreement with Gates regarding population numbers. Which does suck.

Reactions: Maggot
Just because I’m a 4th generation farmer doesn’t mean I’m an expert on every product I use.

Most farmers I know are either too busy running their business or bullshitting at the local diner to independently research every product they use to the point they are experts. Most just rely on the manufacturer’s data, or think as long as its legal to purchase, it has to be safe. Surely the government would make a product illegal if it wasn’t safe, right? Surely the manufacturer wouldn’t withhold critical information on their best selling product, right?

I understand Monsanto’s products help farmers bring home the bacon. That’s the point of running a business... to make profit. But providing for one’s family via agriculture has nothing to do with being an expert on the potential long term effects of using various products on crops.

Go ask your local concrete contractor to explain the full chemical process concrete undergoes during hydration. Or ask him to explain alkali-silica reactivity. His response will be, “Dude... I don’t fucking know. I just pour the shit.”
Clearly you don't understand the amount of input professional agronomists have on any commercial farm. Sure, the 5-40 acre "farms" run their own show, but when you are dealing with 4k+ acre farms there is a ton of research into which products are safe and effective to use. Agronomists ARE experts and DO know the detailed science about how chemicals/fertilizers work. Any farmer who gives a damn about the future of his operation consults an agronomist about things that are beyond their expertise.

Reactions: Mwalex
  • Organic crops are a marketing hoax.
Absolute bullshit. I cant address the 'marketing' but organic foods are without question more nutritional and better for the body.
Mike Adam's does some good research and reports on organic foods and supplements. We eat organic everywhere we can but I read an article some time ago about the cross pollination by bees between gmo and organic crops that just about any crop anymore is gmo on some level. Unless it's grown in a barn.

I agree with Maggot. When I eat quality food, mostly organic, I am not as hungry as when I eat typical supermarket food.

Also when I eat regular beef I have neurologic problems similar to when I ingest MSG. Nightmares, wake up with a pounding chest, in a high stress fight or flight mode. 2-3 days in a row eating USDA beef, and the problem becomes severe. When I eat organic, grass fed beef, I have very little problems.

Apples and Oranges. Youre talking greater quantity, which I dont dispute. Im talking quality.

Reactions: lariat
Just because I’m a 4th generation farmer doesn’t mean I’m an expert on every product I use.

Most farmers I know are either too busy running their business or bullshitting at the local diner to independently research every product they use to the point they are experts. Most just rely on the manufacturer’s data, or think as long as its legal to purchase, it has to be safe. Surely the government would make a product illegal if it wasn’t safe, right? Surely the manufacturer wouldn’t withhold critical information on their best selling product, right?

I understand Monsanto’s products help farmers bring home the bacon. That’s the point of running a business... to make profit. But providing for one’s family via agriculture has nothing to do with being an expert on the potential long term effects of using various products on crops.

Go ask your local concrete contractor to explain the full chemical process concrete undergoes during hydration. Or ask him to explain alkali-silica reactivity. His response will be, “Dude... I don’t fucking know. I just pour the shit.”
5th gen.
A manager doesn't have to be an expert on every aspect.
That's what employees and advisers are for.
I've tried and seen a multitude of tillage and fertilizer strategies.
In application of product choices is where the rubber meets the road.
If one has to do the above in an ultra competitive area the wheat get separated from the chaff
quickly.

R

Last edited:
As far as the food allergy things go, back when i was a kid in the early 90s the common wisdom by doctors was to not allow kids under 2 to eat any of the things that are common allergies right now. Since then it has changed since it was found that not Introducing those things early was actually causing the allergies.

Today with my 2 kids the pediatrician said the only thing to stay away from was honey. Everything else is fair game.

Reactions: deersniper
“Organic“ is all about the feels. It is marketing that makes the consumer feel they are doing something to promote their health. They only thing they are doing is paying more. It’s a bigger hoax than vitamin supplements.

Allergies are a 1st world problem caused by 1st world air filtration, cleanliness, and sanitation standards. Go find a kid with environmental allergies living in a hut in Africa. Go ahead, I’ll wait...
While I firmly believe that there is merit to playing in the dirt for antibodies, you may not be able to find the other sufferers you are requesting because they are already dead from anaphylaxic shock. Trust me, in Africa they don't know allergic reactions and don't know how to fix them in time when they turn severe. They only know "healthy/OK" and "oh shit, what now?". Nobody there really reports why people die; by and large it isn't important.

Reactions: TxWelder35
“Organic“ is all about the feels. It is marketing that makes the consumer feel they are doing something to promote their health. They only thing they are doing is paying more. It’s a bigger hoax than vitamin supplements.
There are two sides of this. First, organic food tends to be grown with more care and less mass production. That is probably the main reason why it usually tastes better and appears to have more nutritional value.

The other is the pesticides and other chemicals that end up in our bodies. Most likely those products interfere with with body's chemistry, making us less healthy. Trans fats are a perfect example of this. Those fats end up being part of the cell's membrane and reduce the effectiveness of the membrane. Cell membrane is super important for active transport, cell adhesion, cell signaling, etc.

A non natural, or modified, fat is not going to be able to do those tasks.

Reactions: XP1K and Maggot
Everyone worries about the chemicals and fertilizer used on crops coming to you in your food sources. But farmers tend to put on as little chemical as they can to maintain production because it costs a lot of money.

Look around your house and see what chemicals you are being directly exposed to, Clorox is a prime example of a highly toxic chemical that a lot of people use everyday for cleaning and laundry. Look into how much fertilizer you are putting on your yard and the pesticides used in your yard and inside your house. The lbs. per acre you put on a yard is an amount no farmer would even consider applying to a crop or pasture area.

The first place you should go organic is your own home and yard, a lawn isn't even a production crop it's just for show. It does keep the dog out of the mud.

Ok...all you organic grass fed lobbyist, listen up.
Per NCBA in 2020, one time U.S. feedyard capacity of feedyeards over 1,000 head is 17.2 million head. That isn't taken into account all yards less than 1,000 head and feedyards outside the U S.
That 17 2 million on average will turn over three times a year. That is 51.6 million cattle fed to supply the consumers annualy. Those cattle gain 3-4 lbs. per day on grain versus 1-2 lbs per day on grass.
To keep a somewhat cheap food supply going it takes a great demand of grain. Non gmo could never meet our supply needs, let alone be affordable.
There is not enough grass to have 51.6 million cattle ready for slaughter every year, let alone maintain the reproducing herds. IT IS NOT EFFICIENT OR SUSTAINABLE. Grass fed beef and organic is purely niche that builds its popularity based on fear and creating perceived stigma that non organic is dangerous without coming outright and putting themselves in a position of defense. The whole organic industry thrives on having organic on there label and sharing the same shelf space side by side as non organic and create a false perception that is emotion driven and has little to no science to back it up. If it does provide info, it is skewed, portrayed out of context or missing other pertinent info that won't fit their narrative. Just like a bad media interview with key pieces cut out.

Last edited:
People also need to understand that "organic" does not mean chemical or pesticide free. If you want a compound certified as "organic" all it costs is money. "Organic" is a buzz word that appeals to house fraus, soy people and those that know very little about agriculture.

Ok...all you organic grass fed lobbyist, listen up.
Per NCBA in 2020, one time U.S. feedyard capacity of feedyeards over 1,000 head is 17.2 million head. That isn't taken into account all yards less than 1,000 head and feedyards outside the U S.
That 17 2 million on average will turn over three times a year. That is 51.6 million cattle fed to supply the consumers annualy. Those cattle gain 3-4 lbs. per day on grain versus 1-2 lbs per day on grass.
To keep a somewhat cheap food supply going it takes a great demand of grain. Non gmo could never meet our supply needs, let alone be affordable.
There is not enough grass to have 51.6 million cattle ready for slaughter every year, let alone maintain the reproducing herds. IT IS NOT EFFICIENT OR SUSTAINABLE. Grass fed beef and organic is purely niche that builds its popularity based on fear and creating perceived stigma that non organic is dangerous without coming outright and putting themselves in a position of defense. The whole organic industry thrives on having organic on there label and sharing the same shelf space side by side as non organic and create a false perception that is emotion driven and has little to no science to back it up. If it does provide info, it is skewed, portrayed out of context or missing other pertinent info that won't fit their narrative. Just like a bad media interview with key pieces cut out.
Wrong.

Again, it comes back to quantity or quality.

Skipping the 'buzzword organic' and Ill agree for a lot of the yuppies thats exactly what it is, Ive compared, hell I was raised on, 'mostly no pesticide and and only a small bit of any fertilizers, food. Side by side, the 'organic' looks better, tastes better, and for me is more nutritious and healthy. I'd rather have a litttle if its better than a lot of crap. If ya'll want to eat lower quality, thats youre call.

But then I prefer and AI to a stock Savage. YMMV

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: SWgeezer
This is my question. What is required by the FDA to get that "organic" label?
People also need to understand that "organic" does not mean chemical or pesticide free. If you want a compound certified as "organic" all it costs is money. "Organic" is a buzz word that appeals to house fraus, soy people and those that know very little about agriculture.
Most of those labels are a slight of hand thing. The rules are not really enforced until inspection time or it's like saying sugar free when there's two gallons of high fructose corn syrup in it.

Most of those labels are a slight of hand thing. The rules are not really enforced until inspection time or it's like saying sugar free when there's two gallons of high fructose corn syrup in it.
There isn’t an “organic” label or “natural” label by FDA. It is up to the maker/owner of the label.

I have about as much respect for the FDA as I do for the rest of what our government has become.

Youre partly right, Ill grant you that. Im not talking about 'labels' form grocery stores, Im speaking more about things that I, or others, grow ourselves and know what did or didnt go into them. Its kind of like the difference in a rifle you had a skilled gunsmith build oith all top of the line hand selected parts, or an out of the box Savage. They both send lead down range but....

^^^
Mr. Science can see nutrients.
Fauci has a run for his money!
Now you've convinced me that youre not only ignorant, likely stupid, but you just want to insult and stir shit, rather than discuss, or learn. No thanks, I have better things to do.

Are you growing heirloom seeds or something bought from the co-op, local farmers supply ?
What are you doing with your soil to replenish it?
How sure are you that your meat supply is actually organic?
I have about as much respect for the FDA as I do for the rest of what our government has become.

Youre partly right, Ill grant you that. Im not talking about 'labels' form grocery stores, Im speaking more about things that I, or others, grow ourselves and know what did or didnt go into them. Its kind of like the difference in a rifle you had a skilled gunsmith build oith all top of the line hand selected parts, or an out of the box Savage. They both send lead down range but....

The GMO label is bullshit. Bees regularly cross pollinate which is a genetic modification to the plant (good or bad). Carrots at one point were purple, humans made them orange to look more appetizing. Nature is an ever evolving, genetic modifying fact of life. And the USA didn't become the bread basket of the world by being concerned with organic this, or non GMO that.

I’ve always read that home grown vegetables have more nutrients that anything you can buy at the store. I didn’t realize that this was a disputed fact. I do think that the “organic” label on anything is pretty much a marketing ploy. If you want truly “organic” you need to be growing it yourself.

More people having their own gardens is definitely not a bad idea, and would lessen the strain on big industrial farms. And when the music stops your aren’t at the mercy of the grocery store for nutrients.

I’ve always read that home grown vegetables have more nutrients that anything you can buy at the store. I didn’t realize that this was a disputed fact. I do think that the “organic” label on anything is pretty much a marketing ploy. If you want truly “organic” you need to be growing it yourself.

More people having their own gardens is definitely not a bad idea, and would lessen the strain on big industrial farms. And when the music stops your aren’t at the mercy of the grocery store for nutrients.
That may be due to when it's harvested and how quickly it's consumed compared to retail food supply.

I have observed and studied the tall grass prairie from Kansas to Texas. I also tend to believe that the grass in Texas, while it is the same, must have been some what more fragile and the brush more invasive than the Flinthills of Kansas or Osage of Oklahoma. I think a big part of that tends to be the warmer temperatures with less freezing. There are some nice looking soils in north central Texas, but the environment makes it difficult for crops to consistently perform well.
Even here in the heart of the Flinthills we have big problems with invasive species taking over pasture ground. Early pioneers and the Gov’t during the dust bowl have purposely planted species (ie Osage orange trees aka “hedge trees” and cedar trees(which is a misnomer as they are a species of junipers) to name the biggest contenders). And are/have doing/done away with good land management procedures such as yearly burning of range land to control weeds and invasive species because people in the urban areas complain about the “air pollution” being created. The ground here is what it is and it is is the best in the United States for grazing cattle and other animals. Most of the ground around her has never been broken out but in a lot of places there is less than 3” of topsoil, down in the allies it can be deeper. I’d like to see all this land with 18” of top soil. Ain’t happenin’ here.
At one time there was a reason this area was described as a “sea of grass” and pioneers crossed the plains states in pra irie schooners. Sadly no more.

while what he said was neat and most likely true they knew the chemicals they were using on foods in the early 70's were causing people health and mental problems and did nothing to stop it as it was just cheaper to keep feeding people poisons and pesticides than to clean it up . And I don't see that practice ever changed .

Are you growing heirloom seeds or something bought from the co-op, local farmers supply ?
What are you doing with your soil to replenish it?
How sure are you that your meat supply is actually organic?
-Yes, I use (mostly) heirloom seeds. The tomatoes I grow will make anything you buy at the market taste like plastic. My favorites are Cherokee Purple, and Black Russian.

-I compost the leaves and grass from the yard, mix in some hardwood mulch when I clean around the fruit trees and bushes, scraps from the kitchen, and a bit of good black topsoil I buy locally. Allow the left over plant to rot naturally where it grew. Not 100% organic but good enough for me. It takes years to reach a high percentage. I do use a bit of nitrate with the Silver Queen corn (definitely not heirloom but delicious) as corn is a high consumer of nitrates, but I try to keep that low, use compost, and and rotate crops. As Im doing it on a small scale, just for me, its not too difficult.

-On the meat Im not, I just try to buy local from someone. Of course Jersey Mike's Steak Big Kahuna likely doesnt fit that bill, LOL. I just try to be aware and continually improve.

Reactions: Redheeler
while what he said was neat and most likely true they knew the chemicals they were using on foods in the early 70's were causing people health and mental problems and did nothing to stop it as it was just cheaper to keep feeding people poisons and pesticides than to clean it up . And I don't see that practice ever changed .
They did outlaw DDT.

There's a small town in the Hill Country of Texas that had a couple DDT plants. It got into the water supply and you can certainly tell that some of the folks who drank it are a bit different. Slower and somewhat less coordinated.

Now DDT is sold in Mexico who ships produce here.:unsure:

Like with most things, Follow the $$$.

If I plant tomatos and grow them myself, I guarantee you they will be better than store bought. It isn't a matter of organic or non organic. The issue is we are dependent on just a very few suppliers. They don't care how good or bad it taste because they own most of the market share. We don't have options anymore. Small guys who will produce a better product are swallowed up by the bigger corporations. Your food supply is no different than any other buisness in America.
I get so tired of eating out because most everywhere serves the same crap from the same supplier.
I feel sorry for those who buy beef from the store or resturaunt. It is horrible. My beef is awesome. I guarantee you that you would fall in love with it......and it is not organic or grass fed. If you don't believe me, then ask my kids. I would produce for others, but finding someone to process on my scale is impossible.

Fertilizer is kind of a band aide to cover the problems caused by too much soil disturbance.
4F0FFAB7-1D84-4929-B589-C6D57FB74DD6.gif

If I plant tomatos and grow them myself, I guarantee you they will be better than store bought. It isn't a matter of organic or non organic. The issue is we are dependent on just a very few suppliers. They don't care how good or bad it taste because they own most of the market share. We don't have options anymore. Small guys who will produce a better product are swallowed up by the bigger corporations. Your food supply is no different than any other buisness in America.
I get so tired of eating out because most everywhere serves the same crap from the same supplier.
I feel sorry for those who buy beef from the store or resturaunt. It is horrible. My beef is awesome. I guarantee you that you would fall in love with it......and it is not organic or grass fed. If you don't believe me, then ask my kids. I would produce for others, but finding someone to process on my scale is impossible.
Bro, I just had a steer slaughtered and all in my meat totaled to $1.07lb. Ground beef, steaks and everything. Even paying retail butchering prices leaves you profit if they are pasture raised. And you could still grain finish if you wanted. Right now even ground beef is so damn high you can make more money grinding your sorriest milk steer up into hamburger and gave a better product for sale and at compete level prices. You can definitely save more money for yourself going that route than trying to take a reject to the salebarn.

ETA: I assume by processing on your scale you mean small. If I got that wrong I’m sure someone wants to link up with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanghai McCoy
If we didn’t have fertilizer and genetically modified crops, they would still be raising 5 bushel wheat and bread would be 100 dollars a loaf! I completely agree with the allergy comment, that no one lets their kids get dirty, you know who don’t have weird ass food allergies? All of us that used horse shit as grenades as kids.
Gmo wheat huh ?

Lol

So don’t put manure or fertilizer or anything on after pulling high yielding crops off the soil?

No till and cover crops aka slug bait will take care of all issues right. ?

n,p,k,s,b,z etc all just come from the air

View attachment 7787001
I think it’s easy to not think of farming and ranching as mining because there isn’t a big hole in the ground. But you are mining macro and micronutrients constantly. If you don’t put it back the tea bag won’t work very long.

Bro, I just had a steer slaughtered and all in my meat totaled to $1.07lb. Ground beef, steaks and everything. Even paying retail butchering prices leaves you profit if they are pasture raised. And you could still grain finish if you wanted. Right now even ground beef is so damn high you can make more money grinding your sorriest milk steer up into hamburger and gave a better product for sale and at compete level prices. You can definitely save more money for yourself going that route than trying to take a reject to the salebarn.

ETA: I assume by processing on your scale you mean small. If I got that wrong I’m sure someone wants to link up with you.
I meant like feeding 40 or so, but last year my butcher was overwhelmed with new cattle and finally had to fall back just to traditional customers and traditional numbers. People who normally only butchered one a year were suddenly trying to get six. Numerous people were increasing numbers and expecting the same crew to butcher them. The waiting list turned to six months. Fat cattle can not wait. They are perishable.

Reactions: lariat
Even here in the heart of the Flinthills we have big problems with invasive species taking over pasture ground. Early pioneers and the Gov’t during the dust bowl have purposely planted species (ie Osage orange trees aka “hedge trees” and cedar trees(which is a misnomer as they are a species of junipers) to name the biggest contenders). And are/have doing/done away with good land management procedures such as yearly burning of range land to control weeds and invasive species because people in the urban areas complain about the “air pollution” being created. The ground here is what it is and it is is the best in the United States for grazing cattle and other animals. Most of the ground around her has never been broken out but in a lot of places there is less than 3” of topsoil, down in the allies it can be deeper. I’d like to see all this land with 18” of top soil. Ain’t happenin’ here.
At one time there was a reason this area was described as a “sea of grass” and pioneers crossed the plains states in pra irie schooners. Sadly no more.
My area is close to you and the same brush problems. The sad thing is our grass would put the Flinthills and Osage to shame, but farmers turned it all over including my great grandad. He made the land run of 93. Prior to making the run he explored where he wanted to stake his claim. Those vast slit creek and river bottoms had grass as tall as he was on a horse and too thick to ride through. The plants root systems had to have been massive. It is gone forever. CRP can never replicate what was lost.
I have been to areas of Texas that was supposed to be part of the Tall Grass Prairie at one time......in this day and age I can not tell any resemblance. The mesquite, cactus, white brush, black brush, etc. is just devastating.

My area is close to you and the same brush problems. The sad thing is our grass would put the Flinthills and Osage to shame, but farmers turned it all over including my great grandad. He made the land run of 93. Prior to making the run he explored where he wanted to stake his claim. Those vast slit creek and river bottoms had grass as tall as he was on a horse and too thick to ride through. The plants root systems had to have been massive. It is gone forever. CRP can never replicate what was lost.
I have been to areas of Texas that was supposed to be part of the Tall Grass Prairie at one time......in this day and age I can not tell any resemblance. The mesquite, cactus, white brush, black brush, etc. is just devastating.
I used to live in the Hill country west and southwest of Austin. If you remove all the garbage, Prickly Pear, Cedar/Juniper, and other s, and replant the native grasses, it will return. Its expensive and labor intensive, but it works. Ive seen it. I do agree that it will never return to what it was.

I meant like feeding 40 or so, but last year my butcher was overwhelmed with new cattle and finally had to fall back just to traditional customers and traditional numbers. People who normally only butchered one a year were suddenly trying to get six. Numerous people were increasing numbers and expecting the same crew to butcher them. The waiting list turned to six months. Fat cattle can not wait. They are perishable.
Yeah that makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

Lol

So don’t put manure or fertilizer or anything on after pulling high yielding crops off the soil?

No till and cover crops aka slug bait will take care of all issues right. ?

n,p,k,s,b,z etc all just come from the air

View attachment 7787001

"Fertilizer is kind of a band aide to cover the problems caused by too much soil disturbance."

Ya, I said that, don't add anything. Its right there in the quote huh? I think the crack smoke is giving you delusions. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Its funny you guys getting triggered over that stamtent, then saying the exact same thing in different words.

You started the trend.
You haven't clue of all the different strategies that's have been tired in my direct neighborhood.
If you think you have reinvented the wheel go forth and make some Monsanto level monies.
Until your ass/family's ass is on the line it's all agronomist sheep skin bullshit.

R
LOL. You learned from other people. Hold on I thought that wasn't allowed. I thought if you didn't do it yourself you don't know? Thats the repeated logic here.

You havent a clue the different methods that have been tried in my neighborhood. Ahh, damn that knife cuts both ways too huh?

Reinventing the wheel. Ya, I came up with all this stuff on my own. So you have to join my secret squirrel club to learn about it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh wait, thats not true, and most of the people doing this research have made it open source. Really its not even arguable that it doesn't work. There are literally people who have been doing it for 50 years.

What you mean, is I don't want to change, and for some reason you seem think I give a flying fuck if you do. For the record. I don't.