• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FFL doesnt want to receive from individual?

noz455sd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2008
Montana
Sorry I didnt really know the proper place to ask this question but why is it that some FFLs dont want to deal with receiving guns from individuals to make transfers? This doesnt make sense to me looking from the outside in... Its seems the same or just like a pawn broker does every day of the week so whats the beef? Ive talked to a few that wouldnt but never asked whyy but a friend of mine just became an FFL and I want to firgure it out before I buy a gun off GunBroker and have sent to him...

Thanks!
Chris

Re: FFL doesnt want to receive from individual?

I think it is because they don't understand how the law is written. My FFL was the same, so I printed out the law and showed him that is was perfectly legal. Now he takes pretty much anything. He asked that I get a copy of the shippers drivers license just for his records.

I think it has to do with the hassles of individuals who disagree rather than the law. If someone gets a gun from another and it arrives at FFL and then that someone then decides he does not want to accept it because it wasn't what he expected what does the FFL do then.

huckjare, can you post a link to that law or copy & paste it. Or send it to me please.

My dealer told me it was to keep him from being stuck with a gun noone wants. He said he had seen people get screwed from online deals and there wasn't much he could do about it. If it comes from a dealer, then he can just send it back.

There are all sorts of reasons (legitimate and otherwise) that an FFL might be uneasy about receiving from an individual rather than from another dealer, etc. There are a couple of those "individuals" in this neck of the woods that simply won't listen to reason or pay any attention to the law and they simply have a blanket rule: NO TRANSFERS WILL BE ACCEPTED FROM INDIVIDUAL SELLERS.

You can provide your FFL varying forms of information, but here's a link to the ATF FAQ section re: shipments/transfers/etc., from "unlicensed persons" (i.e. - individuals):

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

The specific citations to the applicable provisions of the US Code are included at the bottom of each FAQ, but here's a link to a PDF copy of the Gun Control Act (GCA) which is the primary source of federal law for non-NFA firearms:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Good luck!

Best explanation I've heard is that, if somebody does something nutty with the firearm or if the firearm was stolen before being sold to you and it gets traced back to them as the dealer who sold it last - they want to be able to show that it came from somewhere else and was just a dealer transfer for a transaction. Sometimes they are OK if you have the private seller write up a "bill of sale" showing their name as the seller, the serial of the firearm and the name of the buyer. They seem to want a paper trail that covers their rear, basically.

Its TOTALLY within the dealer's discretion as to whether or not they will agree to receive from a nonlicensed individual. ALso not that the dealer MUST be able to accurately ascertain from whom they received the firearm so if they dont get an FFL then they are having to assume that the individual that sent the photo ID (which is a must for the dealer for his bound book) is not only a real id, but also the real person that sent it.

Like folks have said, it can be a big hassle for the FFL so some just say F it....sorta like shipping to CA. :)

Thanks for all your input so far...Im still digesting and surfing ATF website

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootinsurveyor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dealer told me it was to keep him from being stuck with a gun noone wants. He said he had seen people get screwed from online deals and there wasn't much he could do about it. If it comes from a dealer, then he can just send it back. </div></div>

This one here has me baffled. Unless the FFL holder himself paid for the item, why would he be stuck with it? Even if the buyer didn't like the purchase, it would still be the buyers obligation to get the gun shipped back.
I myself had to have been one of the first Gun Broker buyers and sellers. In the early stages it was hard to find an FFL who would accept transfers. Store owners were definetly out, it was almost like a jealosy thing, not buying local. Through the 80's and 90's there were literaly hundreds of FFL holders around here, finding one to accept a transfer was hard. I was lucky,I found one up by Devils Tower who would do it for $15.00 a gun.
I'm sure some older guys on here remember finding a FFL holder, going over to his place and thumbing through a Shotgun News or a Gun List and ordering a gun. Then paying 10% over cost and still beating the local retail price. Since GB came along, I haven't even purchased a Shotgun List in 12 years.
If an FFL holder won't take a transfer, find another one and move on. I know guys that will do it for free, to up to a $40.00 charge. I personally don't know why one wouldn't take a transfer, first it's a contact for future business, or word of mouth business, if not freindships. Especially a transaction concerning a custom built gun from out of state, or a gun no longer in production, it's ultimately his loss, fuck him!

Ok Ive only had someone tell me they wouldnt do it a while back. Im just trying to figure out the details for my friend so Im not setting him up for failure.

If your FFL will not accept a weapon from a private person, there is nothing you can do except to find another FFL that will accept a weapon from a private person. The dealer that will do it, will need a current copy of the person's drivers license shipped with the weapon. If the seller will not provide the dealer with a copy of his DL, then this ffl still won't accept the weapon. Make sure the seller is willing to send a copy of his DL. If you want the weapon and the seller want's to sell the item, then he should be willing to take it to a FFL and have him do the paper work and send it out.

It's for tracking purposes and safety/cya. Just say soneone gave it to someone for repairing his car and no paperwork was done. Now someone stole the weapon and put it for sale. The BATF has no way to track the weapon and it now will go from manufacturer to first owner and stop. DL is the safety buffer if you must go private.

The DL thing is not a requirement and is only included IF requested by ther recieving FFL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuppressorJunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all your input so far...Im still digesting and surfing ATF website </div></div>

It's a very easy solution, have a FFL ship it for you (or the seller if you are purchasing.) It happens all the time, especially when shipping to difficult states. Someone will have to pay the shipping FFL but usually it's nominal.