• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Field Firing Solutions Ballistic Software

Re: Field Firing Solutions Ballistic Software

i downloaded the trial. its actually more accurate than exbal when shooting at 600 yards (i found that out last weekend)

too bad the software will not install in windows vista .....

install3 stops responding

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: install05.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 476560e6
Problem Signature 04: System.Drawing
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4536f335
Problem Signature 07: 7a8
Problem Signature 08: 6c
Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentException
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Question regarding entering multple targets, I beleive FFS allows you to enter in multiple target values, is that correct? I can see that being an advantage once entered, then you can shoot your solutions as long as other variables such as wind have not changed or if there are different wind conditions for different targets. DOes EXBAL or ATROG ect. allow multiple target values to entered and then presented in one screen with the shooting solution?

With FFS, you identify each target, either through direct range and bearing, map coordinates, GPS, or through a coupled laser rangefinder which also outputs direction data.

Once that's done, if you need to change the temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, wind direction or speed, the program recomputes the firing solution for each target.

I've also been using FFS for a year+ now, & love it. I just had to repolace my PDA battery, & lost the PDA program. I sent him an e mail yesterday(saturday), & he actualy answered me. I needed to upgrade from 3.3 to 4.0, & had some issues, that he has all but resolved. My only issue now is the lisence key is attached to the CC# used to purchase, & I don't have that CC# any more. I'll call him on Mon, & he said he'll fix me up. Great service.

Good Education Brother Lindy! I've tried the rest, I guess I'll have to give FFS a go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With FFS, you identify each target, either through direct range and bearing, map coordinates, GPS, or through a coupled laser rangefinder which also outputs direction data.

Once that's done, if you need to change the temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, wind direction or speed, the program recomputes the firing solution for each target.
</div></div>
Does it display teh firing solution for all entered targets on one screen, so that you dont have to toggle through?

I just purchased this program for the iPhone:

http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/

Pretty nice, as it takes info from your calculated location.

I would like to learn more about using this kind of software. I haven't tried it yet coz i'm a newb to long distance shooting. Any recommendations/links for tutorials to get started?

Thanks.

laugh.gif

Gosh! No manual? I'm shocked, I tell you, <span style="font-style: italic">shocked</span>, that someone would <span style="font-weight: bold">sell</span> a software program without instructions on how to use it. I have several ballistics programs, and all came with instructions.
laugh.gif

Actually, the best fishing around here is for red drum. The trout are OK, but the redfish, as they are colloquilly known around these parts, taste better.

That post was tongue-in-cheek, BK. I'll edit it, and add a smiley.

I fish the lower Laguna Madre, for big sow seatrout this time of year, personal best is 13 1/ pounds 37 inches, and on fly

Hey Lindy,

Give me the tongue lashing I deserve if it's right there in black & white... But what the Hell does 'DK' stand for?

Let's say I'm setting my Zero on my turret at 200 yds... When I field match POI with POA at 200 yds under recorded atmospheric conditions - and slip the cap to "0" under said conditions... how do set up my profiles to match the conditions in which I created the zero? I understand how to set the different profiles independently, but I can't seem to figure out how to verify that my profiles know under which atmospheric conditions they were initially set...

Thanks much,
C

I can't think offhand of a good reason to do that.

If you want to shoot with an extended-range zero for some reason like being about to use holdovers/holdunders out to a relatively long distance, just dial up from your 100 yard/meter zero to the setting for whatever zero range you want to use. Then change the zero range in the preset screen of the software to whatever zero range you want.

And it may be that I don't understand what you're trying to do. If not, please explain.

Input the conditions into the Presets page. Make sure you uncheck Fixed Zero. Set the zero range to the desired range and check the main page, you should see 0 for the comeup.

Edit your turret profile. Make sure Fixed Zero is unchecked. Set the zero range. If your version of the software has a "C" button next to the box for drop, click it to compute the new drop at zero range. Now check the Fixed Zero box and save the profile.

There is no place to display the settings under which the zero was fixed. The program only keeps the drop at zero range, which is all it needs. Your log should have those conditions recorded, if you enter them in the presets page you should see 0 for the comeup at your zero range.

Now your actual zero range will shift as the conditions change, at least if they change enough or the zero is far enough out. I fix my zero even at 100 yards, but it's not often it would have much of an effect one way or the other. If you set the zero at 600, now you've got some drift happing if conditions change much.

The DK is Deceleration (K)Constant, which tweaks the drag curve projection much like entering multiple BC's, except it's smoother since it's working over the whole curve, not velocity brackets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now your actual zero range will shift as the conditions change, at least if they change enough or the zero is far enough out.</div></div>

Which is why I leave my zero at 100 yards.

There are good reasons to zero a rifle like a .50 BMG at longer range, but not most other cartridges.

CoryT, thanks a lot... I was having trouble understanding how all of the parts come together from the manual alone... I'm running version 4, and i don't recall seeing the C button, but I'm not fully familiar with the program yet. I appreciate the input.

Lindy, the root of my problem, is that I don't fully understand what I'm trying to do either
wink.gif
The more I figure out, the more I think I'm over thinking all of this...

Version 4 will do the calculation automatically, so you are all set when you click the 'Fixed Zero' box.

Lindy, absolute agreement on that, I don't see very much use for zeros beyond 100. If you are using the computer, why would you start anywhere else?

I'll dial on the desired zero, but I would not change the zero in Presets. Just use the elevation page, click the third column header until you get VMil. Now you've got the hold or what you need to dial to get to other ranges. If you change Presets, it will expect that you've reset the turret, something I'd just as soon not bother with in the field unless its required.

'C' = Calculation... got it.
blush.gif
Thanks again, worked perfect.

BTW... is the DK cumulative... in that, as you make adjustments in the field, does it continue to refine that number?

...thanks for the tip on the "Elevation page", I hadn't realized how versatile it was... what is the difference between Emil & Vmil?

The DK is not cumulative. If you tell it to calculate it again, it just recomputes the DK from whatever you put in.

The Emil column shows the elevation in mils <span style="font-style: italic">from whatever zero you specify in the Preset screen.</span> The Vmil display shows the holdovers/holdunders relative to the Target Range entry. So, without changing the zero range in the preset display, you can see what you'd have to hold over or under with the scope dialed to a particular range.

TRIBE -- couldn't help but notice your signature quote--- it would seem that "capitalism" could easily be substituted, just change it to equal sharing of misery of 99 percent of the population.

Ahhh... Nice. Thanks Lindy.

SP308... I suppose it is possible, that such a substitution could indeed be justified... relative of course, to the threshold at which one is willing to bandy the word 'misery' about. Perhaps you should start a thread.

I can't seem to get to the precision workbench download site. I've tried all addresses I can find. Can someone help? Thanks.

Thanks for the quick answer. I was concerned that it might be something in my browser. I've just gotten on here and haven't had time to go back and do a lot of catch-up. This section seems to suggest that this pgm is not the only one out there to say the least. Could you possible do a quick listing of some of the other good software that's available re: this subject? I've been running the net to find some good ones but the two or three I've discovered seem to have been embedded in sites where I just happened to come across them. Maybe a suggestion also for how to search. Thanks again.

Charter Member of The Bubba Factor

Damn computers!!! They'll get ja when you least expect it! Good to know... he'll be back up soon I hope. I'm presently running a L/T with Vista Hm Prem but I'm setting up one of the small IBM L/Ts as a dedicated shooting/range computer. I'll be running XP on this range computer just to keep the hassle to a minimum. Course it's still Windows so...

Question: I have a Rifle Profile with Bullet, Calibrated Turret/Zero etc... Is it possible to run different "bullets" off of the "Base Profile", in that, the turret solutions would reflect the adjustments from the "Base Zero/Bullet" for the new round.

IE... From my base round ("Bullet"), with a 100 yd zero, I switch to a faster/lighter round, and my POI shifts, say, .2 mils at said 100 yds... In other-words, if I entered the faster/lighter "Bullet" into the program, can I get it to account for the difference, and tell me that at my Base 100 yd "Zero" I now dial +.2 mils under Elevation with the new round... Rather than having to actually physically shift the cap, or do the mental gymnastics, every time I want to run a different load...???

Thanks much,
C

I know that there are versions with an 'offsets' profile, which does exactly that. I'm not sure that it is in the current general release. If you have a menu option in Profiles called Offsets, it's in there.

Ahhh... thanks CoryT. I do have the 'offsets' function.. but it is all presented as position related... Seems that should do the trick either way. Obviously going to have to dig back into the manual after-all...

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or through a coupled laser rangefinder which also outputs direction data.</div></div>

Which one is that? Vectronix?

In addition to the Vectors and PLRF units, the Newcon 2500CI, 4000CI and the TruPluse have serial output and are supported.

What sort of DK are you guys getting for 175 & 190 SMKs?

Don't worry about what other people get.

The point of the DK is to tune the program to what <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> actual shooting results are - preferably at the longest distance you can shoot.

I understand I just wanted a ballpark idea.

A typical DK value should be between .505 and .489, I'd be suspicious of anything outside those values. For the most part, for trajectories inside 1000m, the default of .5 will normally calculate as close as you can hold.