• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Figuring out bullet drop from scope hold

pby5cat

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2012
Agoura Hills, California
I have a Vortex PST 4-16 FFP MRAD and i was wondering if i could tell how many feet, inches, meters my bullet dropped. my scope is zeroed at 100 yards. Example, i was shooting 1000 yards at 5,300 feet using a hold up of 7 mrads, how much bullet drop is that?

I have a Vortex PST 4-16 FFP MRAD and i was wondering if i could tell how many feet, inches, meters my bullet dropped. my scope is zeroed at 100 yards. Example, i was shooting 1000 yards at 5,300 feet using a hold up of 7 mrads, how much bullet drop is that?

1 mil = 1 yard at 1000 yards, the beauty of mils.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

7 x 3 ft = 21 ft drop. (2 building stories... Pretty cool, huh)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Isn't there ~3.5 inches per mil at 100 yards.....so ~35 inches?

This doesn't sound right.....

Last edited:

7 Mils @ 1,000 Yards = 21 Feet / 252 Inches / 6.4 Meters

OP,

BTW, a 7 mil hold does not mean you have a barrel attitude that will produce a bullet path which will intersect line of sight at 1000 yards. Most .308's would require about a 40 inch holdover. Since a "about" is not enough information to get a good hit, if time permitted, adjustment of the scope's elevation turret off of a ballistics table created for the actual average velocity of the bullet would assure a better result.

Last edited:
+1 to what everybody has already said. But why do you need bullet drop? Probably the most useless bit of information on any ballistic calculator. YMMV...