• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally getting a Garand back into the safe

ArmedGinger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2018
BC, Canada
So I bought a gun on a whim for $1900 and after I got it realized it wasn't my cup of tea. It was a Type 81 "LMG" made by Poly Technique out of China. Yes I even bought one of the silly drum mags that only holds 5 rounds per Canadian Law....

t81p_LRG.jpg

Luckily someone offered to trade me an M1 Garand for it.

Garands here in Canada have really risen in price with Italian/Dutch Garands hitting $2000+ and Springfield Garands $3000+ this year. Now it wasn't a Springfield Garand I was offered but instead an International Harvester dated I believe 1953. So at least it will be US made and not Italian.

An IHC Garand will run about $2500 so I believe I came out on top in my opinion. It should arrive here mid next week!

Good to hear, also have an IHC on order from the US CMP!

Are there similar 5rd capacity limits for the M1?

Availability. Springfield Armory produced millions of Garands, IHC made less than 350,000. I remember reading that a chunk of the IHC production was lent to Iran as part of a foreign aid package; we won’t be seeing those rifle again unlike the rifles we lent to other countries.

Wow, up here the Springfields bring top dollar because everyone wants a piece of "WWII". Granted we don't get as many Springfield rifles here as you guys down there sadly.

I hope your IHC is nice, and maybe you'll get one with an LMR barrel which is kind-of desirable. Canada certainly has a lot of the Italian-made M1s, which are neat rifles as well.

...up here the Springfields bring top dollar because everyone wants a piece of "WWII". Granted we don't get as many Springfield rifles here as you guys down there sadl.

Yep, here in the USA the WWII era Springfield's are easy to find and collect.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
I hope your IHC is nice, and maybe you'll get one with an LMR barrel which is kind-of desirable. Canada certainly has a lot of the Italian-made M1s, which are neat rifles as well.

Well I did trade it for a Chinese POS so we'll see what shape it's in. The barrel from my understanding is an LMR dated 6-53

Sadly I never acquired a Garand, have had quite a few M1 carbines and still have a few, but maybe one day I’ll snag a Garand

Garands are a lot of fun. Mine was made in March of 44, and rebarreled in 51.

You are on the winning side of that deal getting the Garand! That will be hammered home the first time you experience the "Ping."

Well done.

I've owned a couple Garands before although they were all Italian Garands in both 30-06 and 308

Well here it is. Not numbers matching but looks like she should shoot pretty good.

Don’t stress that the serial numbers don’t match. These rifles have almost all seen at least one rebuild over the course of their lives. Getting any garand in “correct condition” by luck of the draw would be an impressive feat of luck- and a huge collector windfall to boot.

Don’t stress that the serial numbers don’t match. These rifles have almost all seen at least one rebuild over the course of their lives. Getting any garand in “correct condition” by luck of the draw would be an impressive feat of luck- and a huge collector windfall to boot.

Yup not too worried about it. I haven't owned a Garand yet that is numbers matching. :giggle:

Yup not too worried about it. I haven't owned a Garand yet that is numbers matching. :giggle:
That's because theres no such thing as a numbers matching Garand.
Those numbers you see on the various parts are drawing numbers, not serial numbers, and are not supposed to match.
What counts on U.S. military arms is all parts are from the same manufacturer as the reciever, or from contractors known to make production parts for that particular manufacturer, and period correct for the serial number range.