• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F'ing Media!@#%$^#

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I saw this article: http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/worlds-best-places-to-live

and read this:

"In the U.S., crime is typically more prevalent, and the availability of handguns is an issue," says Powers. "Many of the locations in Canada and Switzerland have a little more of social net that diminishes that kind of crime."

Canada, I will grant you, has strict gun controls. But in Switzerland, all males are required to join the militia at 20 and stay on in a reserve capacity until they are 30 (34 for officers). While part of the militia, they are required to maintain a government-issued firearm in their home. Typically, this will be a rifle (Sig 550 or Sig 510) and a Sig -Sauer P220 Pistol for officers, medical, and postal personnel. This is the opposite of gun control.

I know this because I visited there and a tour guide told me about the requirements (Wikipedia helped fill in the gaps). Why can't a freaking journalist who has the same access to Wiki as I do not look this up. I mean, really, it took less than a minute.

Or maybe when they say "availability of handguns is an issue," they mean that it is an issue that we do not issue handguns to all males over 18 and train them how to use them effectively. I am up for that interpretation.

Re: F'ing Media!@#%$^#

Planning on relocating Mayfield enterprises offshore?

laugh.gif

Vienna has a kick ass sewer system too. Harry Lime almost got away from the police there back in '46' *. As to the best city in the world, seriously, how good can German opera be really?
smile.gif

* See "The Third Man"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I know this because I visited there and a tour guide told me about the requirements (Wikipedia helped fill in the gaps). Why can't a freaking journalist who has the same access to Wiki as I do not look this up. I mean, really, it took less than a minute.

</div></div>

Not to take away from your point, and frustration, because I'm right there with you. I think what no one takes into account in statistics is the amount of sheer scum that leaches off society in this country unchecked, a few types of which you won't find in very high numbers in Canada or Switzerland . However, what you said reminds me of Michael from the office:

"Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information"

Wikipedia is not a legitimate source, and no one whether writing a briefing, research paper, article, etc. would ever reference it.

Switzerland has an entirely different, almost homogeneous culture. Plus, it's not as if their army guns are left unchecked to the reservists. I'm sure you wouldn't be praising the Swiss method if the military came to your door once a month telling you to open up so they can check your gun safe. It's not YOUR gun(s), after all; it's the military's (until you leave service).

You're also comparing different things. Handguns kept by (or issued to) people with job security, and the wide availability of firearms in low-income, crime-ridden areas. Switzerland has tighter controls on privately-owned handguns than the States, and things (including ammo) are registered (which is probably not a favourable idea to those who believe registration will lead to confiscation).

They have a large gun culture in Switzerland, but that's not to imply they don't also have a lot of laws surrounding it.

The media is a bunch of liberal wankers. No need to blow a gasket over it. They always get it wrong. If it's in print, 90% of the time it is wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Many of the locations in Canada and Switzerland have a little more of social net that diminishes that kind of crime."
</div></div>

Well, that much is true. They accepted less immigrants historically and have a tighter "natural" bond with their neighbors. When was the last time you answered the door and lent a cup of sugar?

Now the handgun stuff is BS, obviously.