• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First .308 OCW test help

scott123456789

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
Weatherford, TX
IMG_0753.jpg

100 yard setup with my new portable stand I built

IMG_0754.jpg

Not the best day to shoot. Started the morning cloudy with a 10-15 mile tail wind. About halfway through the day the wind shifted towards the right and the sun came out. I feel like 45gr is the ball park but maybe the test doesn't show enough information to be helpful.

.308 cal
165gr. sierra game king
CCI BR2 primer
44+.3 of varget
2.75 OAL

Shot round robin
here is the first round
IMG_0755.jpg

Second round

IMG_0757.jpg

Third Round

IMG_0759.jpg

Thoughts?

Re: First .308 OCW test

Best guess: you've got a node at about 45.0, then another forming around 46.1. I'd work up some loads 44.7 - 45.3 at .1 increments and see if you get a node in that range. 46.1 might be another node, but I'd think you're getting pretty high pressures with that much Varget. Save your barrel and go for the lower node.

Any chrono data on these?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best guess: you've got a node at about 45.0, then another forming around 46.1. I'd work up some loads 44.7 - 45.3 at .1 increments and see if you get a node in that range. 46.1 might be another node, but I'd think you're getting pretty high pressures with that much Varget. Save your barrel and go for the lower node.

Any chrono data on these? </div></div>

Exactly what I would have said.

No chrono this was the first 24 loads I've built. Would it hurt to try seating a bit further out on the final dial in or stick to the book recommended 2.75 for this bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scott123456789</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No chrono this was the first 24 loads I've built. Would it hurt to try seating a bit further out on the final dial in or stick to the book recommended 2.75 for this bullet. </div></div>

For typical OCW work, you want to find your powder charge node first, then play with seating depth to fine-tune it for the tightest groups.

That said, 2.75 seems odd. What book recommends this? I work my OCW loads up at 2.800 (I think this is the SAMMI spec) and work on seating depth after that.

How do you find "powder charge node"? Im in the same situation as this guy.. Just getting into reloading, and pulling my hair out.. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scott123456789</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No chrono this was the first 24 loads I've built. Would it hurt to try seating a bit further out on the final dial in or stick to the book recommended 2.75 for this bullet. </div></div>

For typical OCW work, you want to find your powder charge node first, then play with seating depth to fine-tune it for the tightest groups.

That said, 2.75 seems odd. What book recommends this? I work my OCW loads up at 2.800 (I think this is the SAMMI spec) and work on seating depth after that. </div></div>

Would it hurt to try seating a bit further out on the final dial in or stick to the book recommended 2.75 for this bullet.
iPad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scott123456789</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No chrono this was the first 24 loads I've built. Would it hurt to try seating a bit further out on the final dial in or stick to the book recommended 2.75 for this bullet. </div></div>

That said, 2.75 seems odd. What book recommends this? I work my OCW loads up at 2.800 (I think this is the SAMMI spec) and work on seating depth after that. </div></div>

They are a short hollow point round. So similar to seating a standard bullet to 2.8"

I agree with Gene Poole on COAL.
I would start at SAMMI spec. Anyway, I don't see anything on your OCW that is worth getting excited about or exploring further. I think you may be jumping the bullets too far right now.

2.75 COAL seems a little short to me- I personally set my COAL to 2.84 (max with reliable mag feeding). Also, If you plan on going out to ranges past ~600 you may want to consider the 175g SMK. Just my $.01, Spend it or leave it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.75 COAL seems a little short to me- I personally set my COAL to 2.84 (max with reliable mag feeding). Also, If you plan on going out to ranges past ~600 you may want to consider the 175g SMK. Just my $.01, Spend it or leave it. </div></div>

Thats what the sierra book said. I adjusted my seater based on a factory 2.8" fgmm round and it seated the 165 sgk at 2.73 The bullets are short.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scott123456789</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.75 COAL seems a little short to me- I personally set my COAL to 2.84 (max with reliable mag feeding). Also, If you plan on going out to ranges past ~600 you may want to consider the 175g SMK. Just my $.01, Spend it or leave it. </div></div>

Thats what the sierra book said. I adjusted my seater based on a factory 2.8" fgmm round and it seated the 165 sgk at 2.73 The bullets are short. </div></div>

I am not quite following what you are saying here. Did you put a FGMM factory round in you seater and then turn the stem down until it stopped on the 168 SMK ogive? That would mean the ogive is the same distance off the lands as the 168 FGMM but that is all. Move your seater back and let the bullet get a little closer to the lands. It may not help but you really don't have anything right now.