• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Needed - Sticky Bolt CLOSE

Interesting result today.

After heavy cleaning, sent 10 rounds of FGMM down the tube. Saw an average MV of 2528.25fps with those ten shots. Considered the barrel ready at this point.

Started ladder test with three shot groups starting at 42gr of Varget. 42.0 and 42.3 went well with roughly half inch groups. Only got to 42.6gr of Varget before bolt lift got heavy and ejector was swiping the case heads. At 42.6gr was seeing avg of exactly 2500fps with an SD of 7.2. There was also what looked like some unburnt powder in my can when I took it off and put it on another rig for cycling testing.

Thinking now I will work in .2gr increments down from 42.5gr charge weight and see what we find in a few weeks. 5 shot groups this time too.

Going to have to seat a touch deeper. Had to hand feed some of the cartridges. Should have checked this before I left the house. You live and you learn.

Looking like we will end up in the higher 24XX fps zone using Varget as a propellant. Not ideal. But it’s a result. Am I losing MV by seating at mag length instead of 2.800?

I’m interested in what the FGMM recipe is that achieves 2525ish fps from my 18” canned barrel.

I guess higher end brass would help get some more velocity and get to that “43.5” node that everyone talks about.

The ideal outcome hasn’t been reached. But I’m just getting started and stoked to have some results.
I would try A2520. You will get better speed and good accuracy and it's available.

Reactions: roosterpig
every piece of brass i saw posted by the original poster needed to have another step added : https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012810383?pid=789334 should make them alot nicer to look at and not stick anymore
Hey Cruze. Thank you for the reply.

Turns out I had my seating die set too low and my pretty chamfered and deburred case mouths were wetting squished.

Issue has been resolved at this point. Great catch though.

Thanks

Reactions: cruze5
What’s the ideal outcome you’re looking for?
Perfection! Lol.

Nah I was just hoping for some higher velocity numbers before I reached pressure signs. No love lost though. Enjoying the journey. Was super happy with the single digit SD numbers.

Varget is an excellent powder for the 308 shooing 168 and 175g projectiles.

My 308 will not get to 43.5 of Varget with a 178. 42.4 is about it. ITs 2620 from a 23" barrel. I can get over 2730 with RL15.

Last edited:
Perfection! Lol.

Nah I was just hoping for some higher velocity numbers before I reached pressure signs. No love lost though. Enjoying the journey. Was super happy with the single digit SD numbers.
Don’t chase velocity, its a common mistake reloaders make, often at the expense of absorbing unnecessary risk…look at the target, that’s really all that counts (seems like 42g may be a sweet spot for your rifle).

Im sure you’re already aware but in case you’re not, SD:
- is only reliable if a sample of 30 rounds or more were fired
- has no relationship with precision potential
- is almost entirely irrelevant for most .473 bolt face cartridges in practial shooting applications when engament distance typically doesn’t exceed 800m

Id shoot dot drills going forward. Keeps you target focused vs obsessive over “group size”. People muddy their own results because they put undue pressure on themselves to shoot one hole groups all the time…

I wouldn’t give up on Varget - Ive never met or even heard of a 308 rifle that doesn’t like it. 2520 is great powder, you may have success though it’s faster burning than Varget. Another is IMR4064. Try the 169smk if you can find some. Load data will br similar to the 175.

If you need more velocity, up-gun to a win mag.

Last edited:
Or a 6.5 or 6mm.

Its a flying pig, it sucks in the wind and hits the wall at 800y :ROFLMAO:. Get a decent load, and go shoot it at distance. ITs fun.

Reactions: nn8734
Or a 6.5 or 6mm.

Its a flying pig, it sucks in the wind and hits the wall at 800y :ROFLMAO:. Get a decent load, and go shoot it at distance. ITs fun.
He can probably do a remage set up or something similar with his existing rifle for converting to 6 or 6.5. Ill be honest, not sure it’s worth it unless he’s looking to do PRS or like-kind matches. W/the 169smk, im able to do pretty much everything i would otherwise do with the creedmoors but with .308 win. out to a grand or so. Im .8 less wind at 1000m with the 169 vs the 175 in my A5.

Don’t chase velocity, its a common mistake reloaders make, often at the expense of absorbing unnecessary risk…look at the target, that’s really all that counts (seems like 42g may be a sweet spot for your rifle).

- is almost entirely irrelevant for most .473 bolt face cartridges in practial shooting applications when engament distance typically doesn’t exceed 800m

Id shoot dot drills going forward. Keeps you target focused vs obsessive over “group size”. People muddy their own results because they put undue pressure on themselves to shoot one hole groups all the time…

I wouldn’t give up on Varget - Ive never met or even heard of a 308 rifle that doesn’t like it. 2520 is great powder, you may have success though it’s faster burning than Varget. Another is IMR4064. Try the 169smk if you can find some. Load data will br similar to the 175.

Gunning up will happen eventually. This is short canned precision hunting rifle that sees more steel than deer. Something with a little more zip and more dedicated to range use isn’t too far down the line.

He can probably do a remage set up or something similar with his existing rifle for converting to 6 or 6.5. Ill be honest, not sure it’s worth it unless he’s looking to do PRS or like-kind matches. W/the 169smk, im able to do pretty much everything i would otherwise do with the creedmoors but with .308 win. out to a grand or so. Im .8 less wind at 1000m with the 169 vs the 175 in my A5.
This baby is staying the way she is. It’s such a bad combo of things but I love it. Purchased in college. Been evolving ever since. I think I’m done tinkering with configuration.

42 wasn’t half bad. Always room for improvement ☺️
ABE5CF40-E2B5-44D4-93AB-932CFDC303A6.jpeg

This baby is staying the way she is. It’s such a bad combo of things but I love it. Purchased in college. Been evolving ever since. I think I’m done tinkering with configuration.
Can’t go wrong with a shorty suppresed 308.

Since a couple others chimed in on other powders, I'll add this. Alliant 2000MR will get higher, safe, velocities in the 308. I've experimented with it in two of my 308's. I've gotten 2750+ FPS out of a 24" using 46.5 grs. in Federal GMM brass with no pressures with a 175 Nosler CC.

Downside is the powder is temp sensitive, so you would have to adjust accordingly. This would likely get you to 2600 FPS out of your shorty. Take a look on the net, others have also gotten safe velocities with 175's.

Since a couple others chimed in on other powders, I'll add this. Alliant 2000MR will get higher, safe, velocities in the 308. I've experimented with it in two of my 308's. I've gotten 2750+ FPS out of a 24" using 46.5 grs. in Federal GMM brass with no pressures with a 175 Nosler CC.

Downside is the powder is temp sensitive, so you would have to adjust accordingly. This would likely get you to 2600 FPS out of your shorty. Take a look on the net, others have also gotten safe velocities with 175's.
Thanks flight!

Assuming that you are using 7/8x14 dies, half a turn should get you about 35 thousands. Doing the math:

one divided by fourteen equals 0.0714 so one turn is 0.714
0.0714 divided by one half a turn is 0.0357.

But a half-turn got you only 7 thou, not 35 thou. Something is strange. Your shell holder dimension measured from the bottom of the case to the top of the shell holder may be unusually thick - perhaps it is a different brand? Another thought, you said the dies are old. Maybe they expect a different shell holder.

Also your measurement of FGMM was 2.209 and for your cases it was 2.216 - that is 7 thou difference and that is plenty enough to make it hard to close the bolt handle - 2 thou is enough. Check your shellholder, is it the right one for 308? If RCBS, it should be a #3. See if you can find or borrow different dies and shell holder.

I don't know what to make of that "belling" on the case mouth. My first reaction is that the chamber is too short but I just don't believe it. If you want to test that theory, trim a case to 2.000 or 1.995, FL size, check for belling in the die, chamber, check again for belling in the chamber. If it is gone then there is something strange about your die or your chamber.
Crimp set too tight?

2000MR will give higher velocity but it is slooow so I would not recommend it for any bolt gun with less than 22" barrel. I would personally not use it in an AR10.

My attention span has already sailed my brain into researching sub loads.

Reloading is the ultimate itch scratcher.

2000MR will give higher velocity but it is slooow so I would not recommend it for any bolt gun with less than 22" barrel. I would personally not use it in an AR10.

I've used it in my 22" GAP 10 with 175's in IMI brass. Brass didn't get beat up. I do have a Tubbs flat wire spring in it and have his CWS if i need it. I agree it's a slower powder for gas guns. I wouldn't use it in my M1-A's or Garands. Too slow for them.

Reactions: Doom