• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors First can list. Need feeback

Flyingbullseye

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 24, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm looking at a few different models for my first can. Its going on a .308 700. I'm looking for user feedback on the quality of the suppressor, noise and recoil reduction, how much if any POI change, and accuracy. Basically I'm looking for the one that would score the highest in all combined though it might not be the best at any one single feature. Use will be target and maybe in the near future competition.

The ones I'm looking at are:

$655 SAS 7.62 SS
    $660 AAC cyclone
    $770 Gemtech HVT
    $525 Silencerco Harverster
    $720 Silencerco SpecWar 7.62

Any in-depth user feedback would be very helpful. I'd like to avoid the "its great get this one" comments since they don't help.

Last edited:
    I'm looking at a few different models for my first can. Its going on a .308 700. I'm looking for user feedback on the quality of the suppressor, noise and recoil reduction, how much if any POI change, and accuracy. Basically I'm looking for the one that would score the highest in all combined though it might not be the best at any one single feature. Use will be target and maybe in the near future competition.

The ones I'm looking at are:

$655 SAS 7.62 SS
    $660 AAC cyclone
    $770 Gemtech HVT
    $525 Silencerco Harverster
    $720 Silencerco SpecWar 7.62

Any in-depth user feedback would be very helpful. I'd like to avoid the "its great get this one" comments since they don't help.
    Do you plan on putting it on anything else? Other bolt guns, ar's etc. That will make a difference.

Not sure if the thunderbeast 30p-1 is on your list, but direct thread on will be more accuarate than a QD. I had no change in poi, no change in dope out to 1k. There was no change putting the can on except it was much quieter. Made the 308 sound like a 22. I don't know about the ones you listed so I can only comment on what I have. I did the same research you are doing now and accuracy was my number 1. Everything I found said the 30p-1 was the most accurate plus its lighter being titanium. If you need to get your rifle threaded pierce engineering in lansing can help you out.

The rifle is already threaded, I did check into the QD but its not needed since its mainly for a semi which I'm not using it for. All cans listed are or can be direct thread. I am looking to try to keep the cost of the suppressor under $800 per my budget. Otherwise I'd look at the thunderbeast.

The Specwar 7.62 is built like a tank. The QD part of it locks up extremely tight.

The Harvester is lightweight just a few shots sorta need to baby it kind of suppressor. I own both.

I would choose the Specwar. Get the QD mount because the suppressors and rifles breed and have little babies often.

The rifle is already threaded, I did check into the QD but its not needed since its mainly for a semi which I'm not using it for. All cans listed are or can be direct thread. I am looking to try to keep the cost of the suppressor under $800 per my budget. Otherwise I'd look at the thunderbeast.

I still regret putting a tight budget on my first can purchase. Just save up a couple hundred more bucks. In a year you won't miss $200, and you will be happy that you have a nicer and lighter can.

If you're looking for serious long range repeatability and accuracy I'd go thread on. I own an AAC SDN-6 (QD), a Specwar (QD), an AWC Thundertrap (threaded), and a Thunderbeast 30-P1 (threaded). The two threaded cans are rock solid, the SDN-6 i don't trust for much more than carbine type short range work. The Specwar is much more consistent than the SDN-6, but I haven't done enough true testing to quantify it. I just "feel better" about a threaded can on a precision rifle.

I would agree with the general sentiment thus far. I wouldn't have any of those cans listed in my top 5 for a bolt gun. Way too heavy. You should really look at titanium cans designed with accuracy in mind. I'd check out the TBAC, SAS Arbiter, AAC 300-TM, & the AWC THOR. All would be better than your listed cans at a price difference that's negligible. Like Coletta said, this is something you'll be keeping for a long, long time. Making a decision based on $200 difference in price is something you'd regret for a long, long time.

I would agree with the general sentiment thus far. I wouldn't have any of those cans listed in my top 5 for a bolt gun. Way too heavy. You should really look at titanium cans designed with accuracy in mind. I'd check out the TBAC, SAS Arbiter, AAC 300-TM, & the AWC THOR. All would be better than your listed cans at a price difference that's negligible. Like Coletta said, this is something you'll be keeping for a long, long time. Making a decision based on $200 difference in price is something you'd regret for a long, long time.

This logic is right on. Oddly, a car salesman once told me "don't skimp when buying your vehicle, buy what you really want, otherwise you will think about it and regret that decision every single day when you drive to work." Who knew that a car salesman could ever say something so wise? Same is true with NFA firearms - you going to live with them for quite awhile - get what you really want.

+1 .... save a few extra bucks man. Your dealer may offer lay-away, mine did. The above statements are very true. Buy once, cry once. Besides that, you say now it will only go on one rifle......that will change once you finally start shooting suppressed. Very addictive. You will buy more....so think ten years down the road.

Out if your list id go with a Harvester. I do not agree with the comments above about needing to baby it, or it being heavy. Its lighter than the 30p1 by 6 ounces and just as repeatable, accurate, and quiet. No need to baby it either. The baffle is stainless steel. Only the tube is aluminum. A bolt gun is not going to hurt these cans. The Harvester was made for hunting, not a machinegun. So, keep your intended use in mind when searching for a can. Dont need a full auto rated can for hunting deer.

Last edited:
    For my first can back in March I went with the 30p-1. I had my dealer special order it. I put 50% down and will pay the other 1/2 when they receive it(reminds me I have to call and see where it is ). For a few hundred more from the others on your list you can grab a TBAC from one of the vendors here.

I admit I don't know shit about suppressors . After reading all the positive post about the 30p-1, I figured why possibly screw up a purchase that takes a year to complete because I wanted to save a few hundred bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWGvMV45C5s

Not my video nor do I have any ties to silencer shop. Just found it youtubeing.

I have a 30 and big bore on the way now. I shot slow strings so I feel I'm good. even if I decided to do a mag dump I would do it and not worry about it at all after seeing this.

317millhand, Give us your skinny on the harvester.

I did a review on the SOCOM 762-RC -- Is my first can.

I don't think weight should be a determining factor of your decision because we have these things called gyms and 99% of the time, your bolt action precision rifle is going to be on a bipod...So, I'd eliminate weight from this in it's entirety unless you're hunting.

Per your budget, I'd go with the AAC 762-SD.

It offers excellent versatility if you do decide to ever drop in on a 5.56/300blk etc...

For what it is, I've heard good things.

That being said, I am a firm believe in buy once, cry once -- Which is why I bought the Socom, I'm extremely happy with that decision.

317millhand, Give us your skinny on the harvester.

Im not good at reviews but so far Im impressed and satisfied with this can. I love the option to change the thread insert to ise on different rifles. That should be standard on all suppressors. The aluminun tube does not seem to get as hot as other cans either. My intended use for the Harvester is hunting and target shooting between a 308 and 300WSM. I also have a 30P1 thats awesome, and a Cyclone. All 3 cans have a slight POI shift that's almost equal. All are repeatable. For a budget can, I used to recommend the Cyclone. Now I recommend the Harvester due to price, weight, and the ability to change thread inserts and handle 300 WM. The cyclone is heavy and may impact accuracy due to barrel harmonics on skinny barrel guns. I have not experienced this, but others claim it to be true. All my guns have heavy barrels. Both the cyclone and harvester get mixed reviews, but they have both performed well on my Crusader 308. The 30P1 is worshipped by many and its a great can as well. You will never go wrong in buying one if you have the budget.