• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First Time out with new DPMS LR308,

Hunt4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011
Had a lot of jams and one failure to extract, but there were extraction marks on the case. I was using 168 Grain Amax with LC Brass, same loads I use with my bolt gun. It was bending the ballistic tip in some cases in the jams, should I look at going to an FMGBT or HPBT?

Is there something I needed to do to further lube the action before shooting it the first time? Is the 168 too long, they fit in the mag, but there was no room left. Could the brass be too soft?

I may buy a couple of boxes of regular Winchester Ammo and run through it.

Any help is appreciated or its headed back.

Re: First Time out with new DPMS LR308,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you using DPMS mags? </div></div>

Like AP said, what mags? That could be the magic formula and a good place to start. While, I tend to think DPMS makes a pretty decent off the shelf rifle, I have heard of/and read about a lot of problems with their mags....

Also, what load is this. Could be you are overgassing it (or undergassing it).

edit: Shoot some standard factory 150-175 grain stuff through it and see if you have the same problem.

thanks guys, it very well could be the mag, it was a DPMS 19 round mag. I think it was over gassing as well, OAL may have been too long, as I read more about it, though they fit in the mag, but it may be an ogive issue.

The magazine problem dates back 3 or 4 years now. I have had my LR for 3 years and have not had one issue with any of the DPMS mags that came with the gun or the Magpul mags I've bought. My guess would be your reloads. They probably just need to be tweaked for the gas gun.

I'm eager to try some reloads with my RCBS dies. Looking at Midways customer feedback I'm certain Hornady had a large run of bad dies for the 308, and I happened to own a set. I noticed a night and day difference in sizing cases between the two dies. I'll be sending the Hornady's back to them after the holidays. I'm confident they will take care of me.

Sounds like a combo of mags, and ammo. If your OAL is off, that could be the entire issue.

What kind of jams? Feed problems are due to the mags. Check your headspace for extraction failure. I'm shooting the same bullet, it works good.

I would check mags and then call dpms

LC brass is the issue. Unless you sized it, NATO 7.62x51 brass won't run in your .308 chamber, as it doesn't quite fit. Had the same issue with mine. Shoot a box of cheap 308 (not 7.62) to verify this. There are a few threads on this already.

I wouldn't use a plastic tip bullets in a gas rifle, knock off a tip and have it end up in your trigger assembly or bolt face. Save them for your bolt rifle.

.....or that it's a DPMS....just sayin'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B101ABN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....or that it's a DPMS....just sayin'.
</div></div>

unsubstantiated brand bashing isn't going to help him solve his problem.

Post pictures of the rig or it never happened.

I would try some factory ammo and P-Mags as stated above. Also did you lube the BCG or shoot it dry?

I will chime in only because a few years ago I had the same problem with my DPMS .308 which was chambered in a 7.62x51 1 in 10 16" barrel. I was trying to shoot Win .308 ammo and mine would not only fail to extract but extractor would actually tear the rim. It would cycle about 50% of the time. With this I was farily sure it was not the magazine which is the frist place I look for problems. My casings would swell jamming in the chamber also and this caused extracting issues. Does this sound like yours? If so go with what TenZero advised. I changed to 7.62 x 51 147 grain ammo and no more problems....then I sold it because it did not like to shoot anything else. I had another friend with the stainless 20" version (same chambering). Same problem. When I researched out my problem, I was told .308 chamberings seem to shoot both (higher case pressure), but 7.62 chamberings are not so forgiving. Just my experience with the only two DPMS guns I've shot in that chambering. Blessings!!

I had the same problem with my sass i bought pmag ,,mag no problems casing i was told that they were ruff on casing or should i say dinging them up and i was also told to run my sass VVVERY wet with Otis lube. and i also used Winchester USA147gr to break it in now she runs sweet but ammo still dings you can try putting tape on your shell reflector