• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First "Travel Match" of my competition career ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Headed to the Parma Idaho Rod & Gun Club for a Saturday "Varmint Silhouette" match ... shooting targets at 305, 415, 505, 600 and 705 yards for individual and team scores. At about a 5-hour drive each way, this is my first match outside the comfortable confines of my local range (COSSA) here in Bend Oregon. Hoping to not completely embarrass myself and not materially damage whatever team I'm assigned to.

It's also my first match shooting prone, which is harder for me, but not impossible. (Losing the belly would probably help.)

Rifle is a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Scope is a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25.
    Ammo is Hornady 147gr ELD-Match. (Decided to go with "factory ammo" since I'm not happy yet with my 6.5-CM handloads.)

If I suck ... I can blame it on many things (weather, travel, different range, altitude change, phase of the moon, etc.).
    If I do well ... it's undoubtedly because I'm a skilled marksman that optimized excellent equipment.

Should know which it is by 3pm Saturday.

In all seriousness ... I just want to have fun, and not suck ... at my first "real" competition.

Good luck but most importantly have fun! Don't forget snacks and hydration!

Good luck. Let us know how you do either way.

It was a huge learning experience ... simultaneously "Fun" and "Frustrating". Walked away realizing I need to spend a lot of time shooting prone, instead of from a bench. I also need to bounce around between different near and far target distances, instead of just shooting groups on one target. I was definitely in the "Lower 4th" of scores, but I wasn't at the bottom ... so at least there's that. The guys at the Parma Rod & Gun Club in Parma, ID are awesome, helpful, patient with rookies, and put on a great match. I'll be back.

Summary ... I had fun, and walked away with a list of things to work on.

It was a huge learning experience ... simultaneously "Fun" and "Frustrating". Walked away realizing I need to spend a lot of time shooting prone, instead of from a bench. I also need to bounce around between different near and far target distances, instead of just shooting groups on one target. I was definitely in the "Lower 4th" of scores, but I wasn't at the bottom ... so at least there's that. The guys at the Parma Rod & Gun Club in Parma, ID are awesome, helpful, patient with rookies, and put on a great match. I'll be back.

Summary ... I had fun, and walked away with a list of things to work on.

Congrats on the leap of faith into something outside your comfort zone.

Ive competed in a bunch of sports over the years and truly believe it is the fastest way to learn. The painful part (that most folks dont want to deal with due to pride) is sucking at the start. I don't let that trouble me, I see it as the start of a journey.

I raced motorcycles and had mixed results in my first couple of races (track type dependant). I learned that I needed to ride a bigger variety of tracks and not be such a "one trick pony". Even on the tracks I sucked on I learned lots, if I could follow the fast guys for even a lap I could see where they were strong and how to make improvements. You pick up so much in a short time it is almost like cheating.

Two years later I used all the stuff I had picked up (+ a ton of training and practice) and won everything in sight. This approach works for me.

Firearm competitions have worked the same for me. I shoot everything I can. Some I like more than others, some I am naturally better at than others but I learn something every time I do one. When I'm not shooting I watch the top guys and learn from them. There is always something to see.

For all competitions a strategy is crucial, and being able to adjust on the fly under pressure if something doesn't work out (ie equipment issues) is something that makes a significant difference to your results . These are qualities that can only really be honed from competition so congrats again on the first step of the journey.

Congrats on the leap of faith into something outside your comfort zone.

Ive competed in a bunch of sports over the years and truly believe it is the fastest way to learn. The painful part (that most folks dont want to deal with due to pride) is sucking at the start. I don't let that trouble me, I see it as the start of a journey.

I raced motorcycles and had mixed results in my first couple of races (track type dependant). I learned that I needed to ride a bigger variety of tracks and not be such a "one trick pony". Even on the tracks I sucked on I learned lots, if I could follow the fast guys for even a lap I could see where they were strong and how to make improvements. You pick up so much in a short time it is almost like cheating.

Two years later I used all the stuff I had picked up (+ a ton of training and practice) and won everything in sight. This approach works for me.

Firearm competitions have worked the same for me. I shoot everything I can. Some I like more than others, some I am naturally better at than others but I learn something every time I do one. When I'm not shooting I watch the top guys and learn from them. There is always something to see.

For all competitions a strategy is crucial, and being able to adjust on the fly under pressure if something doesn't work out (ie equipment issues) is something that makes a significant difference to your results . These are qualities that can only really be honed from competition so congrats again on the first step of the journey.
    Great philosophy. Thanks.

Every Match is a Lesson. Sometimes painful but so rewarding as well. I used to suck at barricades or positional. A lot of dryfire and rimfire practice and now I am fairly decent at it. I even ran a couple of stages at my last couple of matches. The first time I ran the PRS barricade I was pumped. A year ago I was happy if I got a 3 or a 4 on it.

Every Match is a Lesson. Sometimes painful but so rewarding as well. I used to suck at barricades or positional. A lot of dryfire and rimfire practice and now I am fairly decent at it. I even ran a couple of stages at my last couple of matches. The first time I ran the PRS barricade I was pumped. A year ago I was happy if I got a 3 or a 4 on it.
    I hit 12-of-40 on this "Varmint Silhouette" course. My goal for the next one is 20-of-40. Shooting my first positional PRS match in June ... that should also be a learning experience.

Reactions: 7mmMato
    best of luck to you , you can do it
    some 80's love
    couldn't decide on this or a rocky song either would work .