• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First Tumble with a Thumler

ace of hearts

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2013
Formal review = Get one, it rocks.

Seriously though, a lot of people don't care how the brass looks, but if you do, this thing is on a different level than a vibrator or ultrasonic. The flash holes and primer pockets are pristine. I used 5 lbs of stainless steel media, 1/8 cup of dishwashing detergent, and 1 tablespoon of Lemi Shine. It is kind of a pain in the butt, but worth it from my perspective.

Cheers

Last edited:
You're using way too much detergent.
I use a 2 second squirt of liquid detergent and a sprinkle of lemishine.

I've done over 25,000 cases with the same bottle of detergent and Lemishine.

Last edited:
I can't imagine ever going back once you start wet tumbling with SS media.

It is the cat's ass! I bought mine through Stainless media but I believe Cabelas has them on sale for 179.00 and a code for free shipping.

Thanks for the tip. I got that formula off the net, but I will try using less next time. Also, how much water do you guys use? I had about 150 cases then filled up the canister with water; it worked but I had the feeling that the motor was struggling a bit the weight. I am going to use either less water or fewer cases with the next run.

I would like to go to this, what tumbler do you recommend? RCBS sidewinder, Thumler's Tumbler, or another brand?

Thanks for the tip. I got that formula off the net, but I will try using less next time. Also, how much water do you guys use? I had about 150 cases then filled up the canister with water; it worked but I had the feeling that the motor was struggling a bit the weight. I am going to use either less water or fewer cases with the next run.

If you use the manufacturers recommendations the model B has a capacity of 15lbs.

8lbs for 1 gallon of water.
5lbs of SS Pins.
That only leaves 2lbs for brass.

I use more than double the maximum recommended.

I have tested the motor using an amp meter and the amperage does not go over its maximum rating so it is good to go.

This unit was designed as a rock tumbler which means it was meant to run 24/7 for weeks or months on end.

The motor is also thermally protected so it would stop on its own if it overheats.

I work with motors all day long and unless you exceed their amperage rating they can go for years on end.

Most people use 1/2 a 9mm casing of Lemishine per gallon.

If you want the brightest brass inside and out run it for 4 hours dump out the water and replace it with fresh soap and Lemishine for another 4 hours.

I would like to go to this, what tumbler do you recommend? RCBS sidewinder, Thumler's Tumbler, or another brand?

Thumlers model B

As soon as you receive it remove the rubber liner and spray paint the inside of the metal drum then put the liner back in.

When all else fails read the directions...................
The amount of soap is governed by water hardness and the water should still be sudsy when done tumbling.

Instructions, 1 to 2 tablespoons of dish washing soap and 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine.

STM_zps9d3bacae.jpg

And drying time can be speeded up greatly with a hair drier.

hairdryer_zps427528d6.jpg

Last edited:
Thumlers model B

As soon as you receive it remove the rubber liner and spray paint the inside of the metal drum then put the liner back in.

What is the purpose of spraying the inner can? I didn't hear about this till now.

Love my thumlers tumbler!

I already owned an RCBS Sidewinder so I used it. It works fine and the time seems to be in line with cleaning time of what people say it takes with the Thumler.