• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fitness Program for Hunting Trip

backyardsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
pottsville, ky
I am planning a hunt for next year. Most likely going to Idaho to Elk hunt, but there is a possibility of a trip to Alaska. I have been lifting weights and carefully monitoring my diet. By the way, If any of you haven't tried that my fitness pal free ap it is nice, has a huge data base of foods and exercise and does an excellent job of tracking what your taking in. Anyway I have implemented a new cardio plan. The rifle range I use here in KY is very relaxed, no upity rules or range masters, just be safe and act like you got some sense. Any way directly off the front of the firing line is a large hill. So instead of trying top go and force myself to run miles on the road or treadmill. I set up my rifle and mat and a swinging target at 400yd then I run sprints up and down the hill intermixed with taking shots at the gong when I get back to the top of the hill. Hoping to build up to running all the way out to the 400yd and back coupled with shooting. This servers double duty as cardio training and learning to shoot under pressure. If there are any of you who have been out and hunted in this kind of terrain I would like to hear how your conditioning affected your hunt.

Re: Fitness Program for Hunting Trip

I hunt elk with a bow in Oregon, Idaho and Montana. This is big country compared to what you have in KY. Your exercises are fine but you need to add some pure endurance exercises. I need to run and/or ride bike to get into complete shape, in addition to weights. Good all around conditioning will serve you well, if your not in shape it will ruin your hunt.

Walking these mountains all-day for several days will literally kick-your-ass. Also, workout in your hunting boots. Load up a heavy pack and go for some all day hikes.

Much as I suspected just some plain as ruck marching. That would probably make the most sense

I think running and swimming are the best exercises to get the fitness for this hunting trip.
When I go for any hunting trip, I do swimming, and running.
Running is also helpful during your hunting to hunt the wild animals.

I run 1.5 miles then squat 90 times. 150 flutter kicks, 30 leg curls then 30 leg extensions. By that time my lunch break is over. I went on an elk hunt in colorado and got my ass kicked. This is my augmented workout to fix the issues i ran into. I do that for 6 weeks then switch to a heavy weight low rep workout and alternate every six weeks. My diet changes with the routine. Heavy dictates high protein and light dictates a leaner meal plan. once a week I bring my pack loaded to the gym and set the tread mill to max incline and "hike" till a can't anymore.

Put on a pack and walk up hills. If you don't have hills put more weight in the pack and walk.

Hard to beat actually rucking up hills, especially at a good pace. I doubled my leg workouts and did cardio for 30-45 minutes 3-4 times a week at altitude and still couldn't hold a candle to my guide that just got back from 14 days of sheep hunting. I'm working on a Versa-Climber right now and if how good it works correlates to how much I hate it, then I should be in pretty good shape by the time my hunt rolls around. I did notice during the middle of the hunt that my body seemed to adapt a little more. Good luck on your hunt

Tis the season - I have about a month and a half till we go out for moose...

Depending on where you hunt in Alaska, be prepared for tussucky sloppy ground (Tundra) or steeper than shit loose skree (not Tundra) In either case, your knees and ankles can take a beating, and it is going to work your core like nothing else, so prep for it.

Yoga works. 15-20 minutes in the morning of stretching and core work does amazing things.