• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed 10x on GAP-10?

MisterMoad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Dayton, OH
www.facebook.com
I just put an order in for a GAP-10 in 308. It's primarily going to be a coyote/varmint gun and I might get into competitions down the road.

I'll be upgrading the glass as soon as my bank account can handle it, but I figure SWFA is a good stopgap.

Any opinions on going with a fixed power scope with an AR platform?

My gut says I should get a 3-9 variable so its practical under 400, but I have never used a fixed power scope.
My wallet says I should get a SWFA 10x42M.

If anyone is running a similar setup could you let me know how it handles close range engagements.

Also considering offset irons, which would solve that problem.

Thanks.
Johnny

I run a USO ST10 on my POF P-308. Not very useful for anything under 50 yards. Even then the small field of view is a limiting factor. I say save up for the 3X9

I just put an order in for a GAP-10 in 308. It's primarily going to be a coyote/varmint gun and I might get into competitions down the road.

I'll be upgrading the glass as soon as my bank account can handle it, but I figure SWFA is a good stopgap.

My gut says I should get a 3-9 variable so its practical under 400, but I have never used a fixed power scope.

If anyone is running a similar setup could you let me know how it handles close range engagements.

Thanks.
Johnny

If you watch the samplelist.com you can get a super sniper 3-9 for 450-500.

The 3-9 is a very nice little scope. And since it has a fixed parallax, it will be a bit faster than the Vortex IMHO. The fixed parallax might become a concern on close shots that involve high precision, but your off-set irons will handle that.
SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope DEMO-A
This be even better, it has a side focus, but it goes down all the way to 6 yards, and is pretty forgiving after 100. And it is the same price of the 3-9!

Variables are nice, saying that I have a few fixed 10x's and I do like them, they will be light and tough, they will do what ever you want to do with that rifle but it won't be as quick up close. We have killed yotes at 15 yds with fixed 10's before though. I think a 2.5-10 is about perfect for a rifle like that but a 10X isn't very limiting.

One advantage that you will have is that you will never mess with anything but the turret.
I guess the SWFA has a parallax though so that is you only adjustment.

Either will serve you well and if you become a master of your scope you will do very well. I have had dealing with the Bushnell, SWFA, & Swvorski fixed 10's. All have done me well.

Good luck sir.

Thanks for all the input guys. The fact that there's less to go wrong and less to mess with on a fixed power optic are huge pluses. I think I'm going to run a 10x SWFA until I can afford a USO 10x.

Along the same lines would irons made for an AR-15 be ok on an AR-10 platform? Anybody have experience with offset irons? I know there are only a couple companies making them. I like the idea of a flipup offset iron. I'm trying to narrow it down between flipup offsets made by Diamondhead and KAC.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

So you have a $3K , high precision .308 and want to throw cheap glass on it?

Your better off selling the gun, buying good glass, and throwing it onto of a DPMS Gas Gun.

Personaly, I would not limit myself to 10X with that rig. Yes you can shoot to the .308's max range with 10x, but you won't be able to see shit.

You will want more mag to help ID stuff and get a better sight picture.

Absolute lowest I would go is the SWFA 3-15 FFP or a PST 4-16 FFP.

I shot a fixed 10X SS for years on my .308 Bolt gun. It was not fun.

Putting low end glass on a high end rig seems counter productive. I understand if you wan't to go cheap so you can use your rifle 'til you can pay for better glass, but then won't you want an optic that will allow you to use your rig to the fullest potential?

Valid points, but I fail to see how selling the GAP-10, buying good glass, then throwing it on a DPMS would be better. I'm not staying with cheap glass, it's a stop gap measure only.

I had a chance to use a Vortex PST 4-16 FFP the other day and was pretty impressed.

However, I live in southwest Ohio, I'd be lucky to have a clear line of sight for 300 yds. 10x is plenty of magnification. As I said before, it's a stop gap measure so I'm not trying to spend good money on an inferior optic when $300-$400 will get me by till I can get the good stuff.

I have a ten month wait so there's plenty of time to figure out what glass I'm going to get and I appreciate your feedback.

If your plan is to upgrade when you can the SWFA SS is a great choice because they are quality and they hold their value. If you catch one discounted on the sample list you will lose nothing reselling it, if you buy new youll lose $30-40 reselling. They have adequate glass, they track true and they're dead nuts reliable. Personally I'd save the $100 and get the standard rear parallax model, I have both and the side parallax gives me no advantage over the other that costs 25% less. I'm putting one of mine on a KAC LPR until I save up for a NF 2.5-10x42.

I ordered a GAP-10 in late August and started putting aside $250 (give or take) each month to buy a scope. Changing your payroll taxes also creates a nice surprise when you file next year. Right now I have my eye on the NF ATACR or Vortex Razor. Things might change in the scope market between now and when the rifle shows up so I keep following the forums. I'm sure you have heard the saying "Buy once, cry once" but it's true. I've made the mistake before, buying cheaper (not cheap) scopes, and ended up upgrading shortly after shooting the rifle a few times and lost money in the long run. Just passing on a lesson learned.

Ok, just make sure I'm understanding this logic correctly. The OP should:

A. Sell his custom rifle for some POS factory rifle, spend the funds on glass and upgrade the rifle later.

B. Have his rifle sit with no glass for months while he saves for the scope he wants because to lose $30 selling a fill in optic would be like filing bankruptcy.

People must go out of their way to think this stuff up.

taint nothing wrong atoll with a fixed 10 on a 308, assloads of folks and military types been doing it for years. Saying you can't see shit at 1K in 10x is incorrect, these are statements coming from what we call "mag whores", may as well go 32X so you can count pimples. More mag is not always better. You may want the ability for LESS mag but thats gotta be a call you make determined on the majority of your shots and distances likely encountered most often. Point is IMHO a fixed 10 is a great call for a 308 field gun

I bought a 10X SS as an upgrade for my LTR in 2003. I've used it for targets and hunting on a bunch of rifles since and it's now being used past a mile on my buddies 7mmRM.
I don't think you'll regret it, I don't.
Worst case scenario, it makes a badass long range 22lr scope.
I took mine out to 300 with just the knobs.

I actually prefer the rear parallax mentioned above.

taint nothing wrong atoll with a fixed 10 on a 308, assloads of folks and military types been doing it for years. Saying you can't see shit at 1K in 10x is incorrect, these are statements coming from what we call "mag whores", may as well go 32X so you can count pimples. More mag is not always better. You may want the ability for LESS mag but thats gotta be a call you make determined on the majority of your shots and distances likely encountered most often. Point is IMHO a fixed 10 is a great call for a 308 field gun

If you can see an X MOA hold point at 100 yards you can see it at any other distance as long as mirage isn't kicking you in the nuts. Even then your still much better off in mirage with a 10x scope than a 20x.

The latest and greatest has come along and now all of a sudden anything short of a 5-25 won't let you shoot beyond your average 100 yard range.

OP, since you would like to hunt and punch paper, i would suggest you look to the MidwayUSA weaver grand slam tactical 3-10x.
It lacks adjustable parallax but makes up for it by being a variable power scope.

They are dandy scopes that well made (Japanese) and are normally on sale for 300 bones.

Ok, just make sure I'm understanding this logic correctly. The OP should:

A. Sell his custom rifle for some POS factory rifle, spend the funds on glass and upgrade the rifle later.

B. Have his rifle sit with no glass for months while he saves for the scope he wants because to lose $30 selling a fill in optic would be like filing bankruptcy.

People must go out of their way to think this stuff up.

Just to clarify, the OP just ordered a GAP-10 so he has 8-10 months before the rifle shows up. Plenty of time to put away a little extra cash.

Just to clarify, the OP just ordered a GAP-10 so he has 8-10 months before the rifle shows up. Plenty of time to put away a little extra cash.

Correct.
But it's not enough time to get the glass I really want. SFWA has my vote so far. Redneck and Punisher are right, 10X is plenty mag for where I live, and when the time comes, I can sell a SWFA 10x42 for a minimal loss, get my gun up and running for $300, and start to save for the optic I really want to end up with. It was a big deal for me to put down the kind of money it takes to get a GAP-10 (2 yrs of putting aside what I could). With a wife, two kids, and one on the way there's no way I'll be able to spend a near equivalent amount of $ on a scope in the foreseeable future. The SWFA fixed 10 will make me and my wife happy until I either a) win the lottery, b) sell a kidney, or c) take my sweet time saving up for a USO, S&B, or NF of my choosing.

How does one go from getting a cheaper 10x so as to wait for a USO ST-10 to trading off shit to get a S&B 3-20? ADD much? Lol... And JJ is right. I used a ST-10 on a GAP 308 out to 1250 with no issues.

How does one go from getting a cheaper 10x so as to wait for a USO ST-10 to trading off shit to get a S&B 3-20? ADD much? Lol... And JJ is right. I used a ST-10 on a GAP 308 out to 1250 with no issues.

Haha. Something like that. But the deal was too good to pass up. I traded two heavily used Colt ARs and an Eotech 512 for a damn near NIB S&B. I might just sell it and go for a fixed 10 anyways. I still think it would be good to learn the basics with a basic optic.

For what it's worth, the bushnell elite tactical line would be a good happy medium. I've got three of them and they're very good scopes.

For what it's worth, the bushnell elite tactical line would be a good happy medium. I've got three of them and they're very good scopes.

+1 I also have 3 of the Bushnell Elite FFP G2DMR 3.5-21X50 scopes and have been very happy with them.

This is a good plan. I have made hits to 1,000 meters with a 10x / 308.

The SWFA SS will be very usuable on a 17 HMR or 22LR later.

BMT

Im currently building a LR-308 and SWFA will be my go-to glass starting out. I might EVENTUALLY upgrade to a Bushnell Elite Tactical like what is on my match bolt gun, but to get me shooting you cant beat their quality. Definitely one of the underrated brands out there.

Thanks.
Johnny

I think you should look at the BUSHY Tactical, in 3.5x21 as well. I love mine on the GAP gasser. The G2 reticle is slick. Granted, no illumination, but that's a luxury.