• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed power question :n00b content:

gimmefuel

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
Duluth MN
OK fully prepared to be flamed/hazed for this....

Rifle: Rem 700sps tactical in a .308, Base:0moa TPS steel

I already bought a 3-10 power as I plan on using this for deer, but the other 49-49 weeks a year I want to use it for a weekend target rifle. Local ranges are 100yd to 250yd. My grandparents land, possibly up to 500yd MAX.
Sooooo, with budget in mind I found the Super Snipers (yeah, yeah... I know). The fixed 10 is gonna be lighter than what I want so its between the 16 or 20.
Suggestions?
thanks

Re: Fixed power question :n00b content:

first off, you can do anything with 10x

but if its basically going to be a bench rifle you midas well get the 20x and leave the spotting scope at home.

Stick with the 10x your not doing anything to even remotely justify a 16x or more.

10X is well regarded to be the best/most prefered fixed power. Considering the ranges you will be shooting at the 10X will be more than enough.

Sir
I shoot a 20X out to 1000. Less than 500 and it is a lot of power - mirage can be a factor with 20X magnifiation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gimmefuel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK fully prepared to be flamed/hazed for this....

Rifle: Rem 700sps tactical in a .308, Base:0moa TPS steel

I already bought a 3-10 power as I plan on using this for deer, but the other 49-49 weeks a year I want to use it for a weekend target rifle. Local ranges are 100yd to 250yd. My grandparents land, possibly up to 500yd MAX.
Sooooo, with budget in mind I found the Super Snipers (yeah, yeah... I know). The fixed 10 is gonna be lighter than what I want so its between the 16 or 20.
Suggestions?
thanks </div></div>

I'm getting on 8" steel gongs at 500yds using my fixed 6x on a hunting rig....your 3-10x is plenty.

I run 10X out to 800, and don't see a problem going further especially on targets of 1 moa or better.

I shot out to 1100yds this weekend with my 2.5x10 ior onto 12"x12" steel no problem. it was a little hard trying to focus on the 4" clay pigeons but not undoable.