• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flame on sports bike enthusiasts

Re: Flame on sports bike enthusiasts

Hey man, I was in the same boat about 2 years ago when I was looking to get a bike. A buddy of mine bought a Ninja 250 and I was supposed to follow right behind. After talking to some of my other friends who also rode, they talked me out of getting the 250 and into getting a 600cc bike. The logic was that I would get extremely bored with a 250 and I would just want a 600 anyway. As a result I picked up the Yamaha r6s which is basically the 2005 r6 carried on into 2006-2009. I really didn’t have much riding experience when I bought the bike and when I first got on it, it was far more capable than I was as a rider. While that is still the case, I have learned how to tame it a little better. It may have been a good idea to get a 250 to “learn” on but my friends were right, I would have gotten really bored on a 250. I’m not going to say I’m the smartest rider and I do stupid shit. I don’t stunt, but I am a speed junky. Its real easy to get into triple digits when passing people, and since I live in an area with a lot of two lane highways, there are a lot of passing opportunities. In hind sight, there is no way I would have liked a 250.

With that being said I always wear my gear. I don’t wear leathers, because textiles have become just as effective on the street and they are much more comfortable in the climate that we live in (VA,MD). I feel like it’s better to wear something I’m comfortable in rather than nothing at all. I know guys that have gone down in textiles and as long as you’re not driving in the triple digits, they will keep you protected. From what I’ve found, helmets are a source of a lot of controversy. Just read up on them and learn as much as you can. I don’t think there is any argument, you should definitely get a full faced helmet. Anything DOT approved should do just fine, but like I said read up on what SNELL means and make your own call. In my opinion, SNELL certified helmets are too hard. Good luck riding and stay safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my 2005 Ducati Monster 620 about 3 months ago in the middle of rainy season, and sold my V8 truck....Ducati Monster s2r, and 620's are ideal starter bikes. They have the capability for the power that will entertain and outpace any new rider for quite a while, but not so much snappy response and strength that they will easily overwhelm a new rider like the sharper toothed Japanese sport bikes. They're also limited to something near 70hp, so they have a more classical powerband than something bred to race.</div></div>Nice choice. That's a very competent bike - they run well in that powerband between 3000 and 5000 rpm. Besides, 50-70hp is plenty for the street - I still don't know how to use more than that on the street except in a straight line.
</div></div>

I would have to agree. I've got my financial map plotted around selling this Monster next Spring, and buying a Sport classic to cafe out classically and ride around town(Tron sold me :D) I may hold off on those stayintunes until then.

I'm gonna get a beater track back like a titled CBR or something for track specific riding as finances allow. For the time being I'm just loving commuting and weekends in wine country. I find myself just riding off into parts of Oregon I've never even seen before with no destination in mind just for fun. It's awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Torf, I had a '97 M900. Get the Staintune pipes from Australia:
Ducati.jpg
</div></div>

Awesome! My brother got the s2r 800 at the same time I got the 620. Man our garage looks awesome hahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up the Yamaha r6s which is basically the 2005 r6 carried on into 2006-2009.
</div></div>The R6S is set up more for midrange power and thus makes a much better street bike than does the R6.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gonna get a beater track back like a titled CBR or something for track specific riding as finances allow.</div></div>Have a look at the Mid 90's 900RR's and the 929RR's and 954RR's that followed. They are getting cheap now, you can't hurt them unless you hit something solid like a wall or a fence, and for $2500-$3000 they make a heck of a good track bike. I think the 900's have that wierd 16" front, if so the 929/954's are much better. Skibum just bought a 900RR in excellent shape for not much money, came over to set-up the suspension, and seeing one again reminded me of how capable a bike they were and still are.

Oh and check out the forum at www.ADVrider.com

You'll find tons of good reading on anything motorcycle related over there.

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

You are confusing bravery and stupidity. They are entirely different. Both can get you killed. But motorcycles are stupid, not brave.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Go hide in a padded room! Its safer.
Going to war is not safe and neither is law enforcement or igniting a propelant next to your face. The down side of being alive is that it is inherently unsafe and eventualy leads to death. I guess I could live a life of cowardice and hide in suggested safety but I would rather have a life worth enjoying versus cowering in fear!

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">motorcycles are stupid, not brave.</div></div>It's not about the motorcycle.

Like it's not about guns being inherently evil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

You are confusing bravery and stupidity. They are entirely different. Both can get you killed. But motorcycles are stupid, not brave.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Go hide in a padded room! Its safer.
Going to war is not safe and neither is law enforcement or igniting a propelant next to your face. The down side of being alive is that it is inherently unsafe and eventualy leads to death. I guess I could live a life of cowardice and hide in suggested safety but I would rather have a life worth enjoying versus cowering in fear!

</div></div> </div></div>

Motorcycles are the Devil
crazy.gif

I am not confusing bravery with stupidity. I am accuratly pointing out simple fear. Such the same as what advocated/brought about the institution of the Patriot Act based on what <span style="font-weight: bold">could</span> happen and also such as what supports the anti-firearm agenda.

Just my .02

A motorcycle is as stupid as the brain operating it. You are profiling to create a general statement, and based on numbers, it's a pretty good bet that if you pick out a young man on a sport bike, he's more likely than not to be stupid. It's statistics. Not going to Vegas and betting on the 30% vs 70% odds if the payout is the same.

That being said, don't fall into the trap of the general statement being applicable to everyone. The thing about motorcycles is that stupidity is oftentimes punished with severe consequences for the rider, as opposed to cars, where stupidity is often unpunished. There are as many if not more (percentage-wise) stupid car drivers than stupid motorcyclists. The downside is that stupid car drivers can easily end up killing responsible motorcyclists.

I look at cars with more disdain because we have made them so simple to operate that people become careless, and it affects the lives of others. How many pedestrians are run down because somebody is behind the wheel texting? I'm willing to bet the number of motorcyclists texting and running people over is a lot less (percentage-wise again to keep it fair). Cars are too accessible, too survivable, built too much for idiots, that you end up with tons of idiots using them. Design something for idiots, you will have idiots use them.

If we're going to place blame on inanimate objects, as was pointed out is often done illogically with guns, then I would say cars are more evil than bikes. Of course, I'd rather say that irresponsible people are the ones that really should be blamed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A motorcycle is as stupid as the brain operating it. You are profiling to create a general statement, and based on numbers, it's a pretty good bet that if you pick out a young man on a sport bike, he's more likely than not to be stupid. It's statistics. Not going to Vegas and betting on the 30% vs 70% odds if the payout is the same.

That being said, don't fall into the trap of the general statement being applicable to everyone. The thing about motorcycles is that stupidity is oftentimes punished with severe consequences for the rider, as opposed to cars, where stupidity is often unpunished. There are as many if not more (percentage-wise) stupid car drivers than stupid motorcyclists. The downside is that stupid car drivers can easily end up killing responsible motorcyclists.

I look at cars with more disdain because we have made them so simple to operate that people become careless, and it affects the lives of others. How many pedestrians are run down because somebody is behind the wheel texting? I'm willing to bet the number of motorcyclists texting and running people over is a lot less (percentage-wise again to keep it fair). Cars are too accessible, too survivable, built too much for idiots, that you end up with tons of idiots using them. Design something for idiots, you will have idiots use them.

If we're going to place blame on inanimate objects, as was pointed out is often done illogically with guns, then I would say cars are more evil than bikes. Of course, I'd rather say that irresponsible people are the ones that really should be blamed. </div></div>

So true!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A motorcycle is as stupid as the brain operating it. You are profiling to create a general statement, and based on numbers, it's a pretty good bet that if you pick out a young man on a sport bike, he's more likely than not to be stupid. It's statistics. Not going to Vegas and betting on the 30% vs 70% odds if the payout is the same.

If we're going to place blame on inanimate objects, as was pointed out is often done illogically with guns, then I would say cars are more evil than bikes. Of course, I'd rather say that irresponsible people are the ones that really should be blamed. </div></div>

+1000
Best post I have read in a long time.

Depending on your weight I might rethink the 250, unless you are jockey sized it could actually be harder to ride because you are going to have to give it more rpm to get going. I stared on a honda cb750 standard bike, then got a cruiser because it was 2002 and cruisers/choppers were all the rage. Then I wanted to be ricky bobby and got a hayabusa. Everyone told me I was going to kill myself etc... but at the end of the day its all about what the rider does with the throttle. I currently ride a ducati 999, but still miss the busa.

Aftermarket rearsets that are adjustable, aftermarket seats like corbin or sargeant and heli bars are things you can do to help with the comfort.

I think it's entirely possible for a beginner to learn to ride safely on a sport bike. Sure they're fast, but how fast is obviously up to you. That said, I'd consider something more comfortable to learn on. My street legal motorcycle is a Suzuki Bandit 1200. It's a naked upright with a big torque monster of a motor. It's all day comfortable, packs plenty of power for 2 up riding, and absolutely hauls ass on the track. Best of all, they're inexpensive. My '02 cost me $3,700, and that was 4 or 5 years ago. I think it had 5K miles on it. There are lots of other similar bikes.

I have a track bike (see below) and the riding position wears me out after a 20 minute session. There's no way I could ride it for hours on the street without it making me a cripple.

HPR1.jpg

I liked my GSX-R600 when I got it back in 2004, don't know why it is considered "the squid bike". Maybe it was just the college campus I was on at the time but I saw way more squids on R6's and CBRs than Gixxers as I only knew of a around 5 other guys with the Suzuki on a campus of over 30k.

It is fine learning on a 600cc supersport class bike, you just have to be careful. They can be pretty twitchy, more so than the liter bikes and such though they get you in trouble in other ways. Take it slow and definitely get a good set of gear, at the minimum a really good helmet, jacket, and gloves. In the long run though I stopped riding it a lot as I didn't find it comfortable for extended periods of time and I didn't have any good twisty roads to wind it out on. I found the seat height on the GSX-R600 to be too high for me (5'10"), couldn't flat foot with both feet at the same time as you had mentioned worry over this issue. I wouldn't get a 250cc bike as they can get keep you in danger longer than a larger bike unless you are a really small person. A bike's best defense other than the rider is it's speed. If someone is coming up behind you at a stop and you see them not slowing down a 250 might not get you out of the way fast enough.

I definitely want to get another bike at some point but I think I will try out a cruiser of some sort as I just want something more chill, I get my speed/aggressive driving thrills from my car (though it isn't anywhere close to the adrenaline rush of a crotch rocket at full blast).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a KLR650 or a DR650 instead. Crotch rocket later. </div></div>

Update:

I've ended up picking up a used Yamaha R6. Right now I'm getting some parts fitted, oil changed, etc. Guy who sold it to me had no exhaust (why???). Had it inspected by a good mechanic first. Anyways, understandably, this will be something to use with great care. I'm already committed to ATGATT. I've got an Arai RXQ helmet that fits perfectly. Getting a Joe Rocket leather jacket w/ CE armor, Teknic Chicane leather pants, Dainese boots, and probably some Held gloves - I'm an engineer, we never bother with matching clothes. The predominant color on the upper half including helmet is white - I'm thinking of adding some reflective tape as well. Or I could get totally crazy and make a fiberoptic mohawk and light up the night with some LEDs in the base of it.

I decided to go all leather because road rash sounds like much not-fun time. I realize that my 3L camelbak will be a staple piece of kit for my rides, especially once the August heat/humidity really kick in. I actually do pretty well in heat though, so I think I will just be extremely uncomfortable rather than unconscious while being oven roasted.

I saw three idiot Gixxer riders today, all wearing helmets (the only positive), tank tops, shorts, and tennis shoes. It gave me the willies seeing one take off from a stoplight dragging his feet on the asphalt. I promise I will not be that stupid.

This next weekend, Pentagon North parking should finally see some Sunday morning use. I need to go cut up some tennis balls to make my traffic "cones."

pinkbike.jpg

My 20yo niece started on a 250 that was replaced in less than 3 months with a SV650 ...
Nylon is gtg along with full face helmet, gloves & hi tops.

Sbikes.JPG

When I had my dealership,we would try to talk the new riders into something smaller and a MSF riding course. If they insisted on stepping into a 600 or larger sport bike,we told them if they made it to the 600 mile service unscathed,they would probably be good to go.

Yikes. No experience + inline-4 = hospital. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? If you are a bit on the shorter side for that bike or don't have the size to keep it upright, you WILL lay it down. Even if you are big enough, throttle control will be a steep learning curve. On smaller bikes of V-twins, messing up with a throttle drop or over accel won't be so bad, on a inline street bike, the same thing will lead to you launching your bike at whatever is in front of you.

Some "Tame" starter bikes: Honda CB series, Suzi GS500, Kawi EX250/500, Suzi SV650 (Listed by price from low to high).

Good luck and remember that your life is in the hands of the other cars around you, and that's coming from a rider.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I'm looking at getting a GSXR-600...Ok, I know. I am an idiot. </div></div>

400 pound curb weight
110 rear wheel horsepower

A 600cc sport bike is NOT a starter bike by ANY stretch of the imagination.

Here's a rule of thumb I tell new riders:
If it LOOKS fast, it's too fast for you.

Well, turns out I think I like the R6 better than I thought I'd like the GSXR. I've still only sat on one of those, but after 2 months and a little over 1k miles, I'm loving the R6.

I know all the negatives to starting on a supersport, and I recognize how terribly underprepared I was at the start, but I've been trying to do it right - attended 4 riding courses thusfar, reading the books and watching the videos. Already, I would consider myself better than most beginners, which is to say, I still have a lot to learn. But I will attest that I'm not some dumb throttle jockey thinking straight-line speed is what it's all about. After watching Chris McNeil throw around a liter bike like it was a toy, I definitely want to learn how to feel as comfortable as that with the bike (not stunting, but being able to slide, recover, launch, quick stop, etc.).

I'm planning on going to the cornering clinics at Quantico at least a few times a year, after having a great experience at the most recent one on the 25th. We got rained out after only two 10-minute sessions around the course and a braking drill. By the start of the 2nd run, they had me leaning off the bike and putting on some good speed throughout the turns. I knew I was getting some decent lean, but didn't realize how much until one of the coaches told me I needed to start hanging off with my lower body if I wanted to go faster or I'd be scraping pegs.

Braking drill was pretty fun too, being the first time I actually hit the limiter on my bike - probably the only venue I will ever do that.

Next on my list is a beginner track school. I will probably be going 1-piece leathers from Spartan next season and then start the track. Right now I run mismatched leather jacket and pants, so I have to modify the zippers to work together - I don't trust the jacket not to ride up a bit if I crash on the track.

Now if I could only figure out a good solution for getting the audible hookup from phone gps in my helmet...

Oh, and I am heavily considering picking up an EX-250 now and using that as a commuter/fun ride around town and turning the R6 into a track machine (if I end up really enjoying that aspect of riding).

Anybody have a lot of experience on the 250s?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody have a lot of experience on the 250s? </div></div>All 250's are not the same: A Honda RS250 two-stroke will spool-up and spit you off with a power band that kicks-in 110hp before you can react. A four-stroke 250 is a fine machine, but slow, and you'll wring its neck around town trying to stay in the power band keeping the revs up sufficently to accelerate you out of trouble.

We live in a country that permits new riders to buy a 1000cc sportbike and drive it off the lot without any training. There's nothing wrong with that. But, with that freedom comes responsibility. The size of the bike isn't the issue (like the size of the rifle doesn't make the shooter). The throttle works both ways. Buy a big bike and learn to use its advantages; or, buy a small bike and learn to use its advantages. An idiot or a fool call kill himself on either one.

Awesome!!! Glad your doing it right!I wish I had access to driving classes like that. I live in the north Ga. mountains and the twisties are great up here. I am not quite draggin a knee but I really don't want to drive that much on the edge on public roads. Good luck with your progress and be safe. BTW I love my GSXR hahaha!!!

JimT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a KLR650 or a DR650 instead. Crotch rocket later. </div></div></div></div>

If your looking for a entry level sport street bike I would not recommend a single cylinder DS, maybe look at a smaller v-twin like the SV a previous poster mentioned.
Riding a jap DS bike is pretty f'in scary in many situations unless your thump-knobbing through the suburbs or down a empty road. They generally suck on the highway, in the dirt, and in the woods. The window of utility on asphalt and off-asphalt should be noted. I would'nt run one as a dedicated street bike unless for short commuter runs... like a Burgman.

Single's, aka Thumper's are not the best learning bikes. The torque comes on quicker than a twin and can be a little work to master. Case in point, the little dimunitive Buell Blast. When the throttle is opened easy, it just kind of moves away, but if it is tweaked just a bit hard, the rear tire will protest, and the bike will lurch forward and to the right(why, I dunno, torque or maybe just thats the way it is). For a little factory cafe racer, it is fun as hell to ride, very nimble, and can roll through turns at WFO in a sweet drift.
The SV's are kick ass bikes and very popular as well. They also seem to hold a little better resale compared to other japanese bikes. If I had to learn to ride motorcycles again, I would go for a 400cc Super Moto, dirt bike with slicks(well, street tires, but you all know that)

Most Harley Shops conduct a Motorcyle Safety course. I'm sure its the same as you had in the Navy. However, Harley also puts on a MC or dirt bike course for beginners and experts a like. Might want to look into those.

As to 250 type street bikes for cumuting. My wife got a little Honda Rebel. Great little bike. I enjoy riding it.

One thing you might consider. It's easier to ride a big bike then a little one. Plus they are safer.

I put on about 2500 miles on my Harley the last week. If you ride any at all, the comfort of a bigger bike will come in handy.

I havnet been into dirt bikes since I was a kid. So I can't tell you much about them. Things have changed since the 60s in the MC world.

Reviving this thread because I have a question on a topic I mentioned earlier and this seems as good a place as any. I'm looking for a good set of racing leathers.

I want to go 1 piece for the track. Any recommendations? I always like more info, especially from this crowd as I find most here to give more objective firsthand experience rather than copy/paste from the internet.

Thanks in advance.