• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Flat top receiver & A2 stock ring height?

fusiachi

PFC Snuffy
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
South of Expected
Other than what's required to keep the objective clear of the rail, are there any other considerations I should be aware of when determining the proper ring height for a DPMS LR-308 with a flat top & A2 stock?

Re: Flat top receiver & A2 stock ring height?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDGG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO / Solution:

LaRue Tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount
</div></div>

Thanks for that. The LaRue mount was actually what made me wonder if the height requirement for rings on a gas gun was different than that for a bolt gun-1.5" seems pretty high if we're measuring from rail top to the center of the scope bore. That dimension on the Seekins rings on my Remington is .82" for example.

You have a higher comb height compared to a bolt gun on a ar platform. Your head is planted higher on an AR platform. Anything under 1.0" on a bolt gun also puts in consideration of a scope base. Add Scope Ring Height and Base Height.

If you use a riser on a flattop AR, exp. Badger Ordnance 22MOA, you would need "medium" scope rings to bring the scope to the proper height. Add Scope Ring Height and Base Height. I know some prefer higher and some lower.

If you used bolt gun height rings on a AR with a larger than tube diameter objective. Your scope would not clear the hand guard.

Hope this makes some sense. Basically, You need anywhere from 1.25" to 1.50" mount/ring+base combo on a flatop AR platform. The LaRue Tactical SPR line & US Optics line of mounts provide all the above in one unit.

Have a great one,
FTK

Your gonna need about 1.4 inches above the upper receiver rail because of the straight comb of the weapon, IMHO the Armalite 1 piece mount is the best bang for the buck, its made well and priced right, and with the right scope it will make it to 1k.

Thanks guys, that was exactly the information that I was looking for.

If your upper receiver is a slick side those have a raised rail on them already, so you will only need 1" tall rings (measured from the rail to the center of the ring)
Ron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crashnrondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your upper receiver is a slick side those have a raised rail on them already, so you will only need 1" tall rings (measured from the rail to the center of the ring)
Ron </div></div>

It's not a raised rail, so it looks like 1.5" is the way to go.

So when are the Pack going to get that dipshit Raji into camp? It's gotta be tough to install a 3-4 without the middle guy there.