• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

Re: FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

IR-V, thanks a bunch for the information on the RMRs, perhaps if I had known what you have taught me, I would have gone with the RMR-06s instead of the RMR01s (I have two of them)?

My old SIG 556 with the FLIR T-50 and Trijicon ACOG is just a bastardized version of the real Swiss SIG 550, but it damn sure slays the hogs and coyotes left and right at will all day and night, that is for sure!

I like it allot and have another one setup almost just like this one, but modified with different accessories for a little different hunting application, mainly sniping off my stands.
smile.gif

Oh, and I do get allot of great use out of my PVS-14s, DBALs, and IR Illuminators too, never leave home at night without them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Great post as always IR-V, good to see your type around here. :) </div></div>

As always, thank you for your kind words and warm welcome, Vic! I appreciate your industry leadership. I frquently get drawn away on special projects, but find myself with the itch to visit back here when i can to find what's new with Victor and his "high speed low drag" team.

BTW: The "Euro Commando" overloaded with peripherals way over his bore line is for want of an SENVG. We've been developing a secure, AES 256-bit encrypted, wireless video transmission network with strong user authentication -- to run over the Internet via 3G and 4G cellular data and other collateral channels (to ensure availability) -- to deliver "anywhere anytime" streaming video for the SENVG video overlay. With this capability, the Euro Commando pictured would be able to dispense with the head receiver and projection arm, and gain i^2 intensifier + thermal imaging + real time color video conferencing in a single, consolidated, integrated "mash up" C^3 ISR solution.

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IR-V, thanks a bunch for the information on the RMRs, perhaps if I had known what you have taught me, I would have gone with the RMR-06s instead of the RMR01s (I have two of them)?

My old SIG 556 with the FLIR T-50 and Trijicon ACOG is just a bastardized version of the real Swiss SIG 550, but it damn sure slays the hogs and coyotes left and right at will all day and night, that is for sure!

I like it allot and have another one setup almost just like this one, but modified with different accessories for a little different hunting application, mainly sniping off my stands.
smile.gif

Oh, and I do get allot of great use out of my PVS-14s, DBALs, and IR Illuminators too, never leave home at night without them! </div></div>

SkyPup,

You are one hog and 'yote slaying machine with your new gear!

In my pilot "lab" inventory, we have FN SCAR 18 rifles set up with Specter DR 1.5/6x day scopes mated with the FLIR T60. The 6x magnification on the Specter realizes the full potential of the 640x480 (high resolution) of the T60 thermal clip-on, but can be snapped back to 1x in an instant for when the situation calls for rapid, full field (of view) context. We also have SureFire 762MG suppressors mated to these guns. In full auto, the SCAR 18 has remarkably gentle recoil and minimal muzzle rise compared to other, selective-fire 7.62x51mm rifles.

We currently have FLIR and BAE on a fly-off to develop an i^2 and thermal fusion capability on a clip-on scope to our specific requirements. Our operational customers tend to get overly wowed by whiz-bang demos of thermal scopes with the sensitivity and special programming to show (in-flight) bullet trace. The problem is that even with thermal imagers of the sensitivity described above (not the T60 by the way), there still isn't enough discreet detail to give the level of human target identification needed to meet policy requirements for military and law enforcement scenarios where there is a heavy civilian presence. Fusion technology takes us closer to where we need to be.

Glad to be able to share with you on the RM06. I suspected that you might be getting more than one RMR and was hoping to help you out with the additional insights before your follow-on acquisitions.

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IR-V</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Great post as always IR-V, good to see your type around here. :) </div></div>

As always, thank you for your kind words and warm welcome, Vic! I appreciate your industry leadership. I frquently get drawn away on special projects, but find myself with the itch to visit back here when i can to find what's new with Victor and his "high speed low drag" team.

BTW: The "Euro Commando" overloaded with peripherals way over his bore line is for want of an SENVG. We've been developing a secure, AES 256-bit encrypted, wireless video transmission network with strong user authentication -- to run over the Internet via 3G and 4G cellular data and other collateral channels (to ensure availability) -- to deliver "anywhere anytime" streaming video for the SENVG video overlay. With this capability, the Euro Commando pictured would be able to dispense with the head receiver and projection arm, and gain i^2 intensifier + thermal imaging + real time color video conferencing in a single, consolidated, integrated "mash up" C^3 ISR solution.

IR-V </div></div>

Bandwidth it seems with most secure comms can be an issue. At least it was several years ago when I was in the "know" in that regard with large video streams. Hopefully the newer technology has streamlined the issues.

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IR-V</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IR-V, thanks a bunch for the information on the RMRs, perhaps if I had known what you have taught me, I would have gone with the RMR-06s instead of the RMR01s (I have two of them)?

smile.gif

Oh, and I do get allot of great use out of my PVS-14s, DBALs, and IR Illuminators too, never leave home at night without them! </div></div>

SkyPup,

You are one hog and 'yote slaying machine with your new gear!

In my pilot "lab" inventory, we have FN SCAR 18 rifles set up with Specter DR 1.5/6x day scopes mated with the FLIR T60. The 6x magnification on the Specter realizes the full potential of the 640x480 (high resolution) of the T60 thermal clip-on, but can be snapped back to 1x in an instant for when the situation calls for rapid, full field (of view) context. We also have SureFire 762MG suppressors mated to these guns. In full auto, the SCAR 18 has remarkably gentle recoil and minimal muzzle rise compared to other, selective-fire 7.62x51mm rifles.

<span style="font-weight: bold">We currently have FLIR and BAE on a fly-off to develop an i^2 and thermal fusion capability on a clip-on scope to our specific requirements. </span> Our operational customers tend to get overly wowed by whiz-bang demos of thermal scopes with the sensitivity and special programming to show (in-flight) bullet trace. The problem is that even with thermal imagers of the sensitivity described above (not the T60 by the way), there still isn't enough discreet detail to give the level of human target identification needed to meet policy requirements for military and law enforcement scenarios where there is a heavy civilian presence. Fusion technology takes us closer to where we need to be.

Glad to be able to share with you on the RM06. I suspected that you might be getting more than one RMR and was hoping to help you out with the additional insights before your follow-on acquisitions.

IR-V </div></div>

The newest ADUNS from FLIR seemed to have really bridged the gap we've been using in human target ID scenarios. I'm sure you may have gotten your eyes on this latest version.

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IPSC_GUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats a SCAR 18?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA </div></div>

LOL. It is a typo / cognitive dissonance. SCAR 17. Except not the semi-auto only version, but the selective fire battle rifle.

I did a jump with a user-expedient, bolt-on, retractable, lanyard doohickey that had the bolt head sticking out inside my helmet. I think I injured myself on the frontal lobe. Sorry - couldn't resist.

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bandwidth it seems with most secure comms can be an issue. At least it was several years ago when I was in the "know" in that regard with large video streams. Hopefully the newer technology has streamlined the issues.
Vic </div></div>

Bandwidth is not a problem. Newer compression algorithms, Suite B encryption, strong network diversity, MPLS control in the cloud, and telecom provider commitment to assign priority to our data traffic gives us the throughput we need on demand. Three letter agency red-tape is the only thing slowing things down at this current time, but that's just part of the cost of doing business in this domain.

IR-V

The newest ADUNS from FLIR seemed to have really bridged the gap we've been using in human target ID scenarios. I'm sure you may have gotten your eyes on this latest version.

Vic </div></div>

Most definitely have, Vic - thanks! FLIR and BAE are a constant presence here. The dual-band / fusion technology is actually pretty mature -- no longer unproven 'bleeding edge' -- the art to the ident portion is more in the engineering of the self-adapting algorithms for edge detection, etc. and real time overlay comms and sensor feeds between the front-line operators and the support teams that can provide advanced recognition and identification services.

IR-V

Darn, I am so pumped! Got home from work and setup my FoxPro Prairie Blaster in the backyard about 20 minutes before sundown.

Ran twenty minutes of CowTip Cottontail and two rounds of Coyote Invitation and next thing I know two big 'yotes show up on the far side of the prairie pond about 275 yards out. I watch them for a minute as they come into the edge of the tree line on the FLIR PS-32 and turn on my FLIR T-50 Thermal Scope.

Next thing I know they are both running full bore right at me! I shot the follower and he rolled and the lead dog took off and I shot at him four times missing each time. The wounded dog got up and ran a few yards and fell and then got back up and ran into the dense underbrush. I went in trying to find him with the thermal but no luck, the mosquitoes are absolutely impossible.

Will go out and look for him tomorrow when I get home from work, but man what an awesome adrenaline pump it was having two of them charge me in the dark on the thermal!!!
shocked.gif

Whelp, it was raining again tonight but the mosquitoes were not so bad. We went out and check two different spots that we have been monitoring for hog signs and nailed a hog at each spot.

First spot was near a feeder we had hiked out about a mile to and spotted this boar out about 300 yards with the FLIR PS-32 and sneaked in closer to get a line on him, finally layed down on the wet ground to get a good prone shot since it was 150 yards out, turned on the FLIR T-50 and shot him through the lungs with a Barnes 70 grain TSX, he went about 25 feet and collapsed.

FLIR%20T50%20Hog1.jpg

HOG%20T50%20Hog1B.jpg

Walked back to the truck and drove in and loaded up this boar and then left and drove a couple miles over to another spot we have set up a live trap, feeder, and stand.

Rain was still drizzling and real quiet with no wind. Was on the stand for about two hours when I saw this sow cross over a jeep trail about 1/4 mile out. Waited another good hour and was about to leave to head home when I noticed some faint thermal images with the FLIR PS-32 in a dense thicket about 100 yards out, could not tell what it was but figured it was a coon since a family of seven coons had been going in and out of the live trap.

Walked over to the thicket and turned on the FLIR T-50 and saw the outline of a hog in the thick woods but could not see anything with the PVS-14 and IR Illuminators, put the ACOG crosshairs on the lungs and did a Double Tap since the woods were so thick there I did not want to be trying to walk

around trying to find a dead hog in a dense underbrush. Hog made it about ten feet and dropped dead! Had to drag it out of the thicket about 50 feet to the trail.

FLIR%20T50%20Hog2.jpg

FLIR%20T50%20Me%20Hog2.jpg

Sky-Pup,
How do you deal with the 33 hertz lag on running items when they are running at you at 25-30 yards?
The lag caused a few misses the other night with us. Do you have a technique to overcome this?

The 30Hz camera on the FLIR T-50 and FLIR T-60 is smooth as silk, not a problem for me at all.

Take a look at the DVR recordings of me shooting hogs and coyotes and you will see that there is zero frame hangs.

Of course I have the DVR set on the same recording settings of 30Hz and 640X480, recording at a different setting would cause frames to be dropped.

I did a nice Double Tap on a 200 pound sow running by me in some very thick brush (you could not even see her with the NVO) at just 10 yards last weekend with the FLIR Thermal and she made it about ten feet.....

What is the frame rate on that Raytheon unit you are using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another one bit the dust last night...

Dom%20Hog.jpg
</div></div>

I am surprised no one picked up on the symbolism here....???
blush.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bush Hog</span>
shocked.gif

This sow was in such deep muck we could not even walk in to get her, had to hike back to the barn and get the 4WD tractor to wade through the knee deep mud to get her out of there. Shot her on a rise that was surrounded by pure muck.

SkyPup said:
The 30Hz camera on the FLIR T-50 and FLIR T-60 is smooth as silk, not a problem for me at all.

Take a look at the DVR recordings of me shooting hogs and coyotes and you will see that there is zero frame hangs.

Of course I have the DVR set on the same recording settings of 30Hz and 640X480, recording at a different setting would cause frames to be dropped.

I did a nice Double Tap on a 200 pound sow running by me in some very thick brush (you could not even see her with the NVO) at just 10 yards last weekend with the FLIR Thermal and she made it about ten feet.....

What is the frame rate on that Raytheon unit you are using? [/quote

Was a Flir t-50.... with Hooper and a Flir rep... yes, there is a lag, caused both Hooper and the rep to miss..

30 frames per second is the same frame rate as any good quality NTSC video camera or commerical television video camera or television set.

I use my helmet camera while I am racing my go-kart at speeds up to 110 mph and the frame rate @ 30Hz is smooth as silk.

The television cameras used to film NASCAR races at Daytona, Talladega, Bristol, etc. are all 30hz, you do not see any missed frames of cars going by the camera 50 feet in front of the camera at 200 miles an hour???

My FLIR T-50 has a build date of January, 2012, I got it in April, so it is not some used military piece of equipment 10 years old and outdated with some ancient frame rate, it is a brand new manufacture 30Hz instrument.

The FLIR cameras in both the T-50 & T-60 run at 30hz, like I said it is not a problem at all, it is just like I am filming a movie, 100% smooth.

What is the video output refresh rate in your thermal?

If you missed a shot at a hog, it was not the FLIR's fault due to slow frame rate, you just need to practice more and learn how to use it properly.

BTW, I just wanted to add that it is absolutely physically impossible for the human eye to detect a frame drop at 30Hz, your optic nerve cannot process information from your retinal ganglion cells to the visual cortex in your brain that fast.

T-50:

Setup:
Hooper Ordnance Built 5.56 AR 16" 9 twist
Hooper Ordnance Multi Purpose FEMUR .30 cal suppressor w/ 1/2x28 adapter
Aimpoint Comp M2 4moa dot
YHM Rifle length handguard
T-50 mounted out front

Ammo: M193 SA ball 55gr

Lag:
Yes, there may be a slight lag and enough to miss running hog shots vs. real time night vision. However, if you get to know the lag, and learn it, it should be little issue. Not an optics expert, but from what I have read, 30 hertz would present some frame dropping when panned quickly.

Time with the unit will tell, but this may be a situation where you may want the target to run into the reticle, not follow the target with lead. Just need to learn it.

First shot kills:
Should be easily enough with stationary targets.

Target ID:
With an M24 FLIR spotter, it is hard to determine Deer vs. Hog past 150 yds. Usually Deer have their head down as a hog would and the pixilated image presents identification issues @ distance. FLIR T-50 gives more distance to this equation. I was able to identify Deer vs. Hog out to and beyond 300 yds. The unit allows you to see the deer's neck and ears more clearly. Negates the need to walk closer with NV. The digital zoom really helps on id. Presents a zero shift issue so you will not have much luck shooting on zoom.

Distance kills:
I killed 2 Yotes with this unit. Both were approx. 150-200 yds. The dot on my aimpoint covered the entire blotch of hot I was shooting @. Both dogs were in peanuts that went 2/3 up the body of the animal. Both dogs had first shot hits, one mid body gut, one front shoulder. One had a follow up after the dog ran about 55 yds and was walking. Both dogs had misses as well.
Can't say I was at my best marksmanship wise, but with an aimpoint trying to make running distance shots @ hot spots, this is not the best test of equipment as there is a huge human error issue to get past.

404026156.jpg

This yote was approx 150 yds out. First shot hit and about 6 misses as it jumped out and about trying to figure out where his guts went. Again, high peanuts.

404026154.jpg

Here is Mr. Bill reading his Last Rites.

404026158.jpg

This is what a 55gr M193 does @ 150 yds. SA Ball.

404026160.jpg

This yote was called in and was with a bigger yote. Thermal was the only way to see them as there was little light and an IR light would have blinded due to the high humidity haze.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Summary:</span>
This is a great unit.

It does not have an internal shutter. So to calibrate the unit, I found the best way was to place my hand in front of the objective, turn it on or hit the NUC button and it is good to go. This gives a consistent hot spot for the unit to calibrate against. I found the rubber lens cover did not do well for this as it seemed to give a ghost haze image. I kept wondering why it had a haze in the picture. My curiosity and troubleshooting allowed me to find the problem and fix it.

The mount is stable and fits a rail just fine.

Magnification:
Again, I used an Aimpoint and had no issue as this is what I am used to. This is a true 1x thermal. Target ID can be made with the zoom, and shoot on 1x. It does fine with a 1-4x. Past 6x and you get too much resolution loss. I did set up a Leupold 3.5x10x40 M3 on a rail and did some visual tests. This would be a great setup on a dedicated precision .308.

Size/ weight:
24 oz.

I normally use a PVS14 and an illuminator.

Illuminator 13 oz.
PVS14 12-15 oz.

So, this did not really add weight to my setup.

The unit is rugged and has high quality lenses.
The only issue that I had was the button layout. There needs to be more distinct dividers between the buttons. In the dark I found it time consuming to find the right button I needed.

This unit does have an offset objective. This may present a ballistics issue. More time on a static range would allow me to give better feedback.

Even with more to learn on this unit, I give it a way cool thumbs up.

Nice work, Hooper and great talkin' to ya!
grin.gif

You may want to investigate something with a more precise reticule than your AimPoint, not that it is a bad unit, but I have used an Eotech with and without 3X magnifier, a Burris XTR 1-4X scope, a Leopold 1-4X Pig Plex scope, and a TA02 ACOG LED. All those reticules are 1 MOA.....more precise.

The Eotech is super nice, as are both the scopes, but I really like the magnified ACOG reticule the most and it provides the most field of view since the T-50 was specifically designed by FLIR and Trijicon match together. It is lightweight and takes up minimum of rail space. It does not have a long eye relief but that is not a problem with a 5.56mm, on 7.62mm it might be a problem.

Don't put anything over 4X on the FLIR T-50 or you will lose resolution.

With the FLIR T-50, nothing between me and 250 yards stands a chance in hell of getting away live.

Like Hooper said, thermal is not NV, NV is 100% real time, Thermal is always going to be at best a video camera.

You just need to practice and learn how to utilize it in the most productive way possible, it is not dropping frames, that is for sure. Like I said above, it is basically a video camera with 30fps, you just need to learn how to use it properly.

I was out coyote hunting in my backyard last night using the FLIR T-50 and FoxPro Prairie Blaster using my helmet mounted PVS-14 and FLIR PS-32 thermal scanner.

Did about five stands of 20-30 minutes each from 7:30PM until 11:00PM. Scads of 'yotes howling and yipping up a storm a 1/4 to 1/2 mile out from me in the deep woods but none showed up in my line of view.

Finally at 11:00PM I unloaded my rifle, turned off the thermals, and retrieved my coyote decoy and caller.

Stood up and turned around to walk back to the house with the PVS-14 on my helmet and noticed a dark contrast object standing in my driveway about 50 feet directly behind me. Damn it's is a coyote!!!
shocked.gif

Turned on my DBAL-I2 IR laser and cocked my rifle and he took off running....and I missed!!
smirk.gif

Ah Wah, he will be back....

Decoy%20Long%20Range2.jpg

Decoy%20Close%20Up2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another one bit the dust last night...

Dom%20Hog.jpg
</div></div>

I am surprised no one picked up on the symbolism here....???
blush.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bush Hog</span>
shocked.gif

This sow was in such deep muck we could not even walk in to get her, had to hike back to the barn and get the 4WD tractor to wade through the knee deep mud to get her out of there. Shot her on a rise that was surrounded by pure muck. </div></div>

The FLIR Thermal just <span style="font-weight: bold">Mows Them Down</span>....
eek.gif

Skypup,

Does that yote decoy work? How do you set up with it? Is it close to your caller? Sounds used with the decoy? Thanks.

The coyote decoy works great both during the day and at night.

I have a little furry bunny wabbit that I tie into his mouth and when the other coyotes see him with it hanging out of his mouth, they charge to try to steal the bunny from him. I have the decoy adjacent to the caller about 30 yards out in front of me.

The decoy helps to draw them out into the open if they are hanging out on the edge of the treeline concealed. The FLIR PS-32 scanner helps me to see them when otherwise I would not know they are there. I can also pick them out with the FLIR T-50 Thermal Weapon sight if I cannot draw them out into the open, but that is what the coyote decoy is good for.

I generally use Bay Bee Cottontail, CowTip Cottontail, and Lightning Jack rabbit distress sounds the most in my FoxPro Prairie Blasters with an SP55 external speaker to really reach out. I leave the rabbit calls on nonstop for 20-30 minutes.

Then about every ten minutes or so I use either Female Coyote Invitation or Male Coyote Invitation just one time. They generally do not answer those two calls but they do respond and come in to see what is going on.

Skypup can you tell me about the ps32? What is it's max useful range for spotting in open fields and also in hardwoods? I am interested in your opinion of it used as a spotter. Thank u

The PS-32 is a total game changer when used as a scanner to detect night targets. It also works during the day as well, but really comes into its own at dawn and dusk and after sundown.

On coyotes you can see them easily 1/4 mile out, although you probably won't be able to ID them as a coyote as opposed to a pet dog.

On hogs you can detect them out to at least 600 yards, if not more in a clearing.

Once you get to use it for awhile you will be able to recognize what animal is what by the way that they move and walk, but still absolute positive ID is difficult with it's resolution, however you certainly will know something is there for sure!

You will see virtually everything within 250 yards, including coons, possums, foxes, bobcats, deer, hogs, coyotes, cows, horses, squirrels, mice, owls, etc. etc.

SkyPup,

Could you please describe the picture difference between what you see through the PS-32 vs. T-50?

I own a PS-32 and wonder how much better the picture is with the T-50.

Thanks.

It is much better because it has a 60mm Germanium lens instead of a 19mm lens on the PS-32, much more clear resolution and range on account of the much more expensive lens.

Last thread hijack, i promise. Fongman, what is your experience with ps32 as far as id and distance and such. Also, what atmospheric conditions do you normally run in, ie heat, humidity, wind, etc. Thank you

dumbbell,

I only used it last hunting season in Texas. Temps ranging from 90 to 20.

On open fields I could see cows out to at least 600 yards maybe further. You can definitely start to ID exactly what you're seeing just outside of 200 yards or so.

My wife actually hunted with me last year and was always able to detect deer movement into our area with the thermal way before I could with a PVS14.

It really is a pretty handy device.

Honestly, the dang thing has me lusting for a thermal weapon sight/clip on...

Was in the backyard tonight after sunset with the FoxPro Prairie Blaster setup playing "Cow Tip Cotton Tail".

Had the caller around 60 feet out in front of me hanging on a pine tree about four feet off the ground.

I had just started calling from my stand and within 30 seconds I noticed a heat signature about 250 yards out with the FLIR PS-32, immediately switched over to the FLIR T-50 Thermal Weapon Sight and zeroed in on this nice Bobcat. He slowly came in over a period of about 15 minutes and finally sat down on the edge of the tree canopy 150 yards out so that I could take aim at him.

Shot him once through the heart and he jumped about five feet in the air about a dozen times and ran 25 feet or so and died.

Too bad I did not have the video camera hooked up....

T50%20Bobcat1.jpg

T50%20Bobcat2.jpg

Wow, great looking cat! Good shootin'.

Indeed, a vid of this story would have been awesome.

Vic

Vic, if I wasn't so beat from winning the WKA Road Race karting championship this past weekend I would have had my DVR video recorder on for this bobcat, I had just gotten home from winning the races before dark and left the RV & race trailer in the driveway so I could go out and do a little night hunting before I passed out....

The oak acorns are just now dropping off the oaks in the hardwood hammocks and the hogs are changing their feeding habits taking advantage of the fresh mast crop in the hardwoods. As things cool down and the mosquitoes die off, we will be spending some time trying to get some good hog and coyote kill videos with the FLIR instruments.

Roebling%20Win%20Start.jpg

Roebling%20Win%20Final.jpg

WKA%20First%20Place.jpg

Going 105-110mph for 30 minutes on a 2.2 mile road race track takes allot out of you physically and mentally...
sleep.gif

Jumped another sow while walking down a forest jeep trail tonight, she was in the thick woods rooting up some acorns in a hardwood hammock, one shot right below the ear with the FLIR T-50 and Barnes 70 grain TSX and she fell over dead right there.

T50%20Hog2.jpg

T50%20Hog.jpg

Checked the game cam when I got home from work and lo and behold a nice big coyote was munching on my fresh hog offal after I cleaned up the hog we got last night.

I will be setup to rock and roll with the thermal tonight!

Coyote.jpg

Well, perseverance off! I have been after this dog all week now....
grin.gif

Was out with my FoxPro Prairie Blaster playing CowTip Cottontail @ 10:15PM and 30 seconds after I turned on the caller this nice furry 'yote came charging in out of the deep woods.

Picked his thermal image up with the FLIR PS 32 and turned on the FLIR T-50 and shot him once through the heart @ 150 yards with a handloaded Barnes 70gr. TSX.

T50%20Coyote2C.jpg

T50%20Coyote2B.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, perseverance off! I have been after this dog all week now....
grin.gif

Was out with my FoxPro Prairie Blaster playing CowTip Cottontail @ 10:15PM and 30 seconds after I turned on the caller this nice furry 'yote came charging in out of the deep woods.

Picked his thermal image up with the FLIR PS 32 and turned on the FLIR T-50 and shot him once through the heart @ 150 yards with a handloaded Barnes 70gr. TSX.

T50%20Coyote2C.jpg

T50%20Coyote2B.jpg
</div></div>

NICE, ya finally got em! hehehe

You hit him on the run, or you get em stopped?

Vic

Vic, he came charging in from the forest about 300+ yards out when I first picked him up, it was another 100 yards to the tree line into the clearing, still 200 yards out from me.

During that time I put down the PS-32 and picked up and turned on the T-50.

For some reason, he came to a stop 150 yards straight out from me and started licking his front paws a couple of times and that is when I shot him through the heart, while he was sitting and licking his paws.....

Generally, I do not try to take a shot while they are running, unless they are real close in or else I've already taken a shot and wounded them.

I try to make each shot as lethal as possible, or else I do not take it.

Thermals are, however, simply outstanding for continued shooting on a wounded animal.....they simply cannot get away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vic, he came charging in from the forest about 300+ yards out when I first picked him up, it was another 100 yards to the tree line into the clearing, still 200 yards out from me.

During that time I put down the PS-32 and picked up and turned on the T-50.

For some reason, he came to a stop 150 yards straight out from me and started licking his front paws a couple of times and that is when I shot him through the heart, while he was sitting and licking his paws.....

Generally, I do not try to take a shot while they are running, unless they are real close in or else I've already taken a shot and wounded them.

I try to make each shot as lethal as possible, or else I do not take it.

Thermals are, however, simply outstanding for continued shooting on a wounded animal.....they simply cannot get away. </div></div>

Awesome, great story...Maybe he stopped as he stepped in some hog poop and was not happy. Did he look like he took a bite outta a crap sandwich before you put one through his heart?
grin.gif

My Burris XTR 1-4X and Leopold VX-R 1-4X Pig Plex both worked excellent with medium or high Burris XTR rings on 4 power and lower.

These are the best most powerful CR123 lithium batteries that you can get for your Thermal gear, they are 1,550mAh while almost all other brands are 1,100-1,300mAh each.

I get at least 30% longer use from these than any of the others I have tried out in my lasers and thermals:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/1pcencr3voph.html

They are even cheaper if you get 50 at a time:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/20encr3vophl.html

I would advise NOT to use rechargables in your thermal gear as they are 3.6V instead of 3.0V.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TV-PressPass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great story Skypup! Always good to see that Sig of yours living the dream </div></div>

Thanks, we are having a damn good time with the NV and Thermals, thanks again to the good crew @ TNVC for all the great gear and good times.....
cool.gif

BTW, it was ALMOST a double dog weekend for me as another large coyote showed up on the thermal behind the game cam tree right after sunset last night, he hung out in the deep woods for 4-5 minutes.

I did not want to take a pot shot at him as he did not come in out into the open, 275 yards was pushing it even though I could watch him in the cross-hairs of the FLIR thermal without a problem, just did not want to risk wounding him or spooking him as he will be back and I will get him later.

I also spoke to the ranch foreman while I was out grading the road on my tractor and told him about the 'yotes and hogs I've been killing.

He asked me if I had seen the albino WHITE coyote???? He has shot at it with his 30:30 Winchester but was never close enough to get him. Hopefully, I will!!!
wink.gif

Bagged another nice meat hog with the FLIR T-50 Thermal last night.

We had hiked through the woods about 3 miles or so with plenty of sign on a 1/4 Moon with no clouds and total stars out, the PVS-14s did a great job of allowing us to roam around in the moonlight underneath a hardwood hammock canopy.

Picked up this meat hog with the PVS-14 about 150 feet off the trail and my friend (SpeedQuest) would have to transition his PVS-14 from his helmet to behind his NV Eotech so I gave him my rifle and told him to take it out with the FLIP T50.

One handloaded Barnes 70gr TSX through the neck spine and he did not even twitch, DRT!
grin.gif

Nick%20T50%20Hog.jpg

Nick%20Hog%20T50.jpg

Nick%20&%20Hog.jpg