• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

Re: FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

I am really enjoying the DBAL-D2 with the IR laser and IR Illuminator for super fast targeting and shooting with the FLIR thermal for backup and/or longer range targeting, performs like a dream!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bagged another nice meat hog with the FLIR T-50 Thermal last night.

We had hiked through the woods about 3 miles or so with plenty of sign on a 1/4 Moon with no clouds and total stars out, the PVS-14s did a great job of allowing us to roam around in the moonlight underneath a hardwood hammock canopy.

Picked up this meat hog with the PVS-14 about 150 feet off the trail and my friend (SpeedQuest) would have to transition his PVS-14 from his helmet to behind his NV Eotech so I gave him my rifle and told him to take it out with the FLIP T50.

One handloaded Barnes 70gr TSX through the neck spine and he did not even twitch, DRT!
grin.gif

Nick%20T50%20Hog.jpg

Nick%20Hog%20T50.jpg

Nick%20&%20Hog.jpg
</div></div>

Damn....How many critters have you knocked out with the T-50 system thus far?

Vic

Vic, we are just now beginning to get started, stay tuned for more dead vermin....
laugh.gif

One thing is for certain, with that FLIR thermal, nothing gets out of here alive, nothing.

Nailed this nice 200 pound boar tonight with the FLIR T-50 Thermal @ 80 yards with one Barnes 70 grain TSX to the head, DRT:

T50%20&%20Boar.jpg

Me%20&%20Boar.jpg

Now that the temperature is dropping after a LONG HOT summer, the FLIR T-50 is working 100% better allowing me much more long range and precise shots to the head, and not destroying any meat!

Hog%20Hanging.jpg

LOL, the thermals are working 100% better now that the ambient night temperatures have fallen into the 40's & 50's instead of the 80's & 90's, making for some easy head shots at ranges out to 250 yards with my rig. I normally sneak up on them and try to get them within 100 yards to simplify things, but nail them accurately out past 200 yards if need be.

Simply an outstanding instrument for the destruction of vermin at night!
grin.gif

There just is <span style="font-weight: bold">NO </span>escaping the damn thermals now!
laugh.gif

Okay, here is a good story....
sick.gif

I have been after this pair of coyotes for almost three weeks now and have had them in my sights at night three times, each time they were too far off and I held off on pulling the trigger.

The third time was last night.

The moon was out full and very bright clear night with 10-15mph cold wind in the upper 40's coming from the west so they could not smell me.

I was out taking my dogs for a walk at sundown and hear a group of coyotes yelping and carrying on less than 1/4 mile out behind my home. Got my rifle and FoxPro Prairie Blaster and SP-55 speaker and setup right after it got dark out. Called with Female Coyote Invitation and Whitetail Fawn Distress for 30 minutes, no action.

Took a one hour break and came back out at 9PM and did same, no go.

Came out again at 10PM and no show.

Time to go to bed @ 11:00PM, so told the wife I would go out with the NV Helmet and PS-32 and check for coyote action and when I came back in I would take the dogs out before bed.

As soon as I stepped off the carport I saw two 'yotes out on the hog offal. Slowly sneaked down to within 175 yards and setup the FLIR T-50 Thermal on my rifle and immediately had the two dogs in my crosshairs, they were 200 yards out. Wanted to bring them in closer for the kill, so tweaked my mouth call rabbit distress softly and they both immediately turned and started walking in to me. Was squeezing the trigger with a dog in the crosshairs with BIG PLANS of a double in my mind's eye.

Suddenly all the flood-lamps on the house come on and out comes my wife with the dogs yelling and barking out to my stand, coyotes turn and run.....

Ah Wah, it was a complete and total BUST,but they will be back and I will still continue hunting them....
laugh.gif

Hog%20Yotes.jpg

Was able to "unbust" myself tonight right after dinner about 8:30PM when this song dog came into Bay Bee CottonTail and nailed him @ 200 yards with a Barnes 70gr TSX handload.

It pays to be persistent!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

T50%20Coyote.jpg

T50%20CoyoteB.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">FLIR THERMALS RULE!!!</span>

Do you still have a T60 and if so do you ever use it. Your T50 seems to rock. Do you shoot suppressed or ever use subsonic ammo?

I still have the T-60 and I use it too, but the T-50 is my GOTO thermal most of the time. The T-50 is much more adaptable to the various environmental conditions I encounter out in the field (temp, humidity, fog, etc.) since it has manual adjustments to enhance my view.

I just got my NFA Trust setup, so some titanium suppressors are in the works for the future, but I do not shoot subsonic loads.

I don't think subsonic 5.56mm loads would be very good for hunting applications, I use one load in numerous rifles and have them all dialed in exactly the same, so not interested in messing around with different loads....

And another dog was in the driveway when I left for work in the dark this morning.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I got home from work, a Male Bald Eagle was eating my coyote!

Eagle1.jpg
</div></div>

Can you blow this up and send to me? AWESOME pic!

Vic

Sent you the raw photo shot with 10X lens. I am hoping that tomorrow when I check the game cam on the tree there that it has some close-ups of him.

I have an Eagle Nest on the property that has a huge female, an adult male and a juvenile male, not sure if this the adult male or the juvenile male, looks like he just is beginning to have some white tail feathers in the photo so I am thinking it is the juvenile male, maybe his parents will show up tomorrow too?

Here is the info on setting up the reticules:

Press Display and NUC to enter Reticule Mode. An "R" icon appears in the left-center of the display.

Adjustments may be made while the "R" icon remains in the display.

Press EZoom and Auto at the same time to change Reticule Types.

The ACTS will automatically exit this mode if nothing is done in 10 seconds.

Press Display (left), Auto (Right), NUC (Up), and POL (Down) to move Reticule.

One of the cycled reticule modes displays No Reticle, both the type and position of the reticule are saved and restored on power up.

Reticule Types:

1.) No Reticule

2.) Cross Reticule 1 (2 Segments)

3.) Cross Reticule 2 (4 Segments)

4. Browning M2 50 Caliber Machine Gun Operator Reticule with Chevron

Skypup, which handheld Thermal spotter do you use? The T50 can be used as a spotter I think also? Have you used the T50 as a stand alone thermal weapon sight? I think I am going to go ahead and get a T50

I use the FLIR PS-32 as my handheld for target detection, you can use the T-50 in a similar manner. Normally I use the PS-32 for scanning detection and just turn on the T-50 to make the shot.

I have not used it as a standalone sight, I prefer to use the ACOG as my targets range out to 200 yards or so, but I believe the adjustable reticules in the unit would be fine, just do not know if there is a POI shift when using the internal 2X & 4X magnification as I have not tried that out.

You will be very happy with a T-50 and it will provide you with countless hours of enjoyment as it is all 100% FLIR inside and out.

After dinner tonight I went out around 8:00PM and called for about 30 minutes using BayBee Cottontail and Female Invitation on my FoxPro Prairie Blaster, after around 30 minutes I gave it up to head back to the house for a warm cup of coffee as it is in the 40's out tonight.

As soon as I turned around I immediately spotted a coyote standing directly behind be about 50 feet, he took off running and I watched him got into the horse pasture down where the horses were eating their hay.

Came back in a got a cup of coffee and went back out thirty minutes later, as soon as I sat down and turned on the Prairie Blaster, within 30 seconds this coyote came out of the woods about 250 yards out and I waited until he got to 125 yards out to pull the trigger -> clean miss????

Well, I should have better luck next time, maybe later on tonight......

Here is the thermal video of my fantastic miss (5MB WMV):

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T50/Missed%20Coyote/Missed%20Coyote.wmv

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Eagle%20Coyote1.jpg
</div></div>

Absolutely awesomeness right there! Hi RES pic PLEASE!!

Vic

Send this too please!

This is supreme win on these pics, JUST AMAZING because you do NOT see Bald eagles caught on film doing this...At least I haven't.

Nice work Skypup!

P.S. I am sure folks would love to see these on our FB page. Please do share!
icon_smile_tongue.gif

Vic

Awesome pic. What a glorious bird the Lord Almighty created. Great work with the T50!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome pic. What a glorious bird the Lord Almighty created. Great work with the T50!! </div></div>

Thanks TestnDoc, they are a beautiful creation!

BTW, when it comes to thermal weapons sights, you can't do better than a FLIR T-50, unless of course you've got a 150 kilowatt X-Ray machine with an internal laser reticule.....
grin.gif

CoyoteAnatomy.jpg

Okay, you all saw the video where I "missed" the coyote I was shooting at 125 yards:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T50/Missed%20Coyote/Missed%20Coyote.wmv

<span style="font-weight: bold">WOOT WOOT WOOT</span> -> It was not a miss!
grin.gif

I shot him right through the lungs and he went about 150 yards and died right there where he entered the woods!!! HAHA!!!
grin.gif

Found this afternoon when I went back with the bushhog to mow down the lower forty, dead right there!!

Missed%20Coyote1.jpg

Missed%20Coyote2.jpg

That is an old SIG 556 ER in 5.56mm NATO with 16" barrel and 1:7" twist with an ACE stock, Shooting Sight Match Trigger, TROY BattleRail, ACOG TA02 LED, LDI DBAL-D2, one of the first USA ones made.

I got it in 2008 and it has been banged up pretty good over the years, it sees action every day in the swamps, about 5,000 handloads rounds down the tube so far....

Skypup, How would you rate the T50 as a handheld spotter? I currently own a FLIR M18 640, which is an awesome unit, but not as versatile as the T50. I am toying with the idea of trading the M18 in and getting a T50. How does your T50 compare to your current spotter, in terms of use as a handheld? Thanks for your insights.

TestNDoc, I have not used the FLIR M18 640 myself, but based on the looks of the size of the lens on one, I would imagine that the units would perform somewhat equally due to the much larger lens system on the T-50?

I am certain that the T-50 would work much better than a M18 320 unit due to the much larger lens, but not sure how much better the 640 unit is through the same sized lens as on a M18 640?

The larger lens is the main cost of the entire unit and provides most of the performance of the unit itself.

How does the T50 compare to your FLIR PS-32 from the stand point of a handheld spotter? How is the field of view, and zoom capability in the 2? Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the T50 compare to your FLIR PS-32 from the stand point of a handheld spotter? How is the field of view, and zoom capability in the 2? Thanks for the info. </div></div>

Ah Ha, that I can handle!

The T-50 is much more powerful than the PS-32 because of the 60mm lens vs the 19mm lens respectively, even though they both use the same 320X240 VOx microbolometer.

It is also much more versatile due to the increased magnifications (2X & 4X) and display brightness settings (5).

The field of view (1X) of the T-50 appears to be smaller than the PS-32, but much more in focus and longer range for detection. With both of them on 2X magnification, same story. With the T-50 @ 4X it is beginning to lose some resolution, but not as bad as the PS-32 on 2X.

Also, when looking through the OLEM of the PS-32 you see a square view, on the T-50 you see a long rectangle. You can tilt the T-50 on it's side for hand held use for a more panoramic view sideways.

The T-60 is a 640X480 microbolometer unit with the same lens size as the T-50 and they both perform pretty much the same for me.

Hope that helps...

banner2_ACTS.jpg

Thanks for your insight, very helpful. I think I will trade in my M18 and get the more versatile T50!

As far as a rugged proven hardcore night hunting instrument, I don't think you can do much better, plus it is 100% FLIR inside and out. I really like mine....and it gets used allot.

Scored a quadruple tonight with the FLIR T-50.
Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam -> Four Dead Hogs

Head shot on the first one.

Dom%20Hog.jpg

Nice shooting skypup, did you hunt in Florida? How many yards were they when you shoot them.
Ron g

Yes, we always hunt in Florida because that is where we live!
grin.gif

These hogs were 60-80 yards out, allot more where they came from but have been too busy to make it out there to take them out, maybe one night this weekend we will re-visit this spot as it is crawling with swine...

Wow that's some fine looking hogs,there must be a ton of them to shoot down there in Florida,Are you eating any of the meat on the hogs?
Ron g

We love Feral Bacon!!!!
laugh.gif

It's mean, lean, no added hormones, antibiotics, or chemical preservatives, the perfect white meat for modern infidels....
crazy.gif

BBQ.jpg

BBQ2.jpg

BBQ3.jpg

BBQ4.jpg

Skypup you are a jack of all trade,a modern grisly Adams who can do it all,That food looks great to eat,what time is supper haha.I don't think I have had hog for dinner yet, what does it taste like?
Ron g

Skypup,

Were you ever able to demo or purchase the FLIR ls64? Looks like a sweet unit.

Not yet, I have not seen anyone say anything about them, I am waiting for a good review of these new units from Chip @ TNVC to make sure that it is what I want.

InstaAlert with a 35mm lens, good FOV and 640 microbolometer has got to be great, even better than the higher priced FLIR M-18 and M-24 units....

You will have to let me know how you are liking your new T-50, I personally think it is the best bang for the buck out there in thermal weapon sights. Have you managed to do any hunting with it yet, it works real good in daylight too!

I should get it next week. Im anxious to see how it performs. The current temperature is perfect for thermal this time of year.

Mine even works real good during the day now that things have cooled down a bit. When it rains it pretty much washes out the use of the thermals with everything being mono-temperature, but other than that environmental variable, it is good to go all the time.

FLIR T-50 connects with one Barnes 70gr TSX to the neck @ 190 yards, DRT -> dropped in his tracks and did not move.
grin.gif

T50%20Big%20Boar.jpg

T50%20Big%20BoarB.jpg

T50%20Big%20BoarC.jpg

Tractor%20Big%20Boar%20T50.jpg