• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

Re: FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

Just got back in, he is strung up and ready to make sausage and ham and bacon.

There were six of them all together and all about the same size, real big ones. I would say he goes 375 pounds, his head is just massive, as are his shoulders.....

Acorns are on the ground thick everywhere....

And you always eat the'nuts' first, right?

Nice Boar, SkyPup. Now, go get his buddies.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And you always eat the'nuts' first, right? </div></div>

I'm saving them for ya this time!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNVC_Kyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Boar, SkyPup. Now, go get his buddies.
smile.gif
</div></div>

It is totally AWESOME being able to sit still on my log and snipe a perfect neck shot @ 190 yards in pitch dark without them knowing I am even there.

His buddies will be back, the entire forest floor is loaded with acorns thick on the ground!

Finally got my T50. I like it better as a stand alone than in front of my ACOG 4x32.
[img:left]http://
7bf0f2bcba4e0b821910b6cd16be5ceb.jpg
[/img]

Another Assume t-50 thermal,have you got to shoot it yet?
Ron g

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally got my T50. I like it better as a stand alone than in front of my ACOG 4x32.
[img:left]http://
7bf0f2bcba4e0b821910b6cd16be5ceb.jpg
[/img] </div></div>

Nice unit.

Time to get that baby dialed in and take down some nighttime vermin!
grin.gif

The internal reticules work just fine on 1X, but I believe that there is a shift in POI if you use either the 2x or 4X mode with them. I only use the magnifications for close up scanning purposes and not actual shooting.

I really like my ACOG with the FLIR thermal unit, mine is the LED version TA02, and usually I leave the lighted reticule turned off...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pulled the trigger on the FLIR LS64 too
smile.gif
</div></div>

Damn, you are one tiny step ahead of me!
crazy.gif

Where did you order your LS-64 from, only a couple of places actually have them in stock.

Have you tried out your T-50 laser yet? Is it IR or Red Vis?

The laser is pretty much useless as it does not match the POI and only functions as a general pointer to indicate about where you are aiming, plus you can't see it through the thermal anyways but your friends nearby will at least have an idea of where you are aiming to.

I am getting it from MOD Armory. I was told sometime around Christmas to expect it.

My T50 has the red visible laser. It seemed to illuminate fairly close to where I was aiming, but I wasnt on a bench rest. Im thinking a 2x or 3x ACOG behind it might be perfect. Pretty impressive unit!

I am betting the laser will be one or two feet off of POA-POI when you find out....I noticed your rifle does not have a monolithic rail, but even with one it would still be off.

FLIR T-50 takes down another coyote @ 160 yards, came into Coyote Distress #3 FoxPro:

Coyote33.jpg

Coyote33b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice!! Do you have hogs on your property? </div></div>

You bet!
laugh.gif

Hogs and coyotes are our night hunts,with a couple of armadillos thrown in every now and then....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FLIR T-50 takes down another coyote @ 160 yards, came into Coyote Distress #3 FoxPro:

Coyote33.jpg

Coyote33b.jpg
</div></div>

You'd think by now the Yotes would learn to just not walk in your neighborhood!
grin.gif

Vic

Here is a source for Thermal Targets for practicing with your FLIR T-50 at night or during the day:

http://www.inrangesupplies.com/index.php/thermal-targets.html

The targets reflect cold from the upper atmosphere and appear Hot to the thermal camera scopes....

target_selection.jpg

target_selection_thermal.jpg

They will not work inside a building as they need to be outside in the open to be able to reflect the cold from the outer atmosphere.

The FLIR Thermal Weapon cameras receive wavelengths in the upper IR -> Spectral: 7.5-13.5 µm or 7,500-13,500nm.

µm = microns
nm = nanometers

Human visible eye sight is 440nm to 720nm, I2 Night Vision Image Intensifiers receives from 650nm to 950nm lower IR region.

Different definitions are used for distinguishing different infrared spectral regions:

The near-infrared spectral region (also called IR-A) ranges from 700 to 1400 nm. Lasers and IR Illuminators emitting in this wavelength region are particularly hazardous for the eye, as near-infrared light is transmitted and focused to the sensitive retina in the same way as visible light, while not triggering the protective blink reflex. Adequate eye protection is then very important to prevent permanent eye damage including cataract formation in the lens, endothelial cell death on the cornea, and rod and cone apotosis in the retina.

The short-wavelength infrared (SWIR, IR-B) extends from 1.4 to 3 µm. This region is relatively eye-safe, since such light is absorbed in the eye anatomical structures before it can reach the retina.

The mid-infrared (mid-wavelength infrared, MWIR, IR-C) ranges from 3 to 8 µm. The atmosphere exhibits strong absorption in parts of that region; there are many absorption lines e.g. of carbon dioxide (CO2) and water vapor (H2O).

The long-wavelength infrared (LWIR, IR-C) ranges from 8 to 15 µm, followed by the far infrared (FIR), which ranges to 1 mm and is sometimes understood to start at 8 um already. This spectral region is used for thermal imaging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The FLIR Thermal Weapon cameras receive wavelengths in the upper IR -> Spectral: 7.5-13.5 µm or 7,500-13,500nm.

µm = microns
nm = nanometers

Human visible eye sight is 440nm to 720nm, I2 Night Vision Image Intensifiers receives from 650nm to 950nm lower IR region.

Different definitions are used for distinguishing different infrared spectral regions:

The near-infrared spectral region (also called IR-A) ranges from 700 to 1400 nm. Lasers and IR Illuminators emitting in this wavelength region are particularly hazardous for the eye, as near-infrared light is transmitted and focused to the sensitive retina in the same way as visible light, while not triggering the protective blink reflex. Adequate eye protection is then very important to prevent permanent eye damage including cataract formation in the lens, endothelial cell death on the cornea, and rod and cone apotosis in the retina.

The short-wavelength infrared (SWIR, IR-B) extends from 1.4 to 3 µm. This region is relatively eye-safe, since such light is absorbed in the eye anatomical structures before it can reach the retina.

The mid-infrared (mid-wavelength infrared, MWIR, IR-C) ranges from 3 to 8 µm. The atmosphere exhibits strong absorption in parts of that region; there are many absorption lines e.g. of carbon dioxide (CO2) and water vapor (H2O).

The long-wavelength infrared (LWIR, IR-C) ranges from 8 to 15 µm, followed by the far infrared (FIR), which ranges to 1 mm and is sometimes understood to start at 8 um already. This spectral region is used for thermal imaging. </div></div>

No, I'm pretty sure they work because of some swamp gas reflected off the moon when jupiter and venus are aligned.

Who gives a damn about all that?? It works, it's awesome, period.
It really is a game changer for whatever your hunting.

All this thread proves is flir is the shit and some of you have too much money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The FLIR Thermal Weapon cameras receive wavelengths in the upper IR -> Spectral: 7.5-13.5 µm or 7,500-13,500nm.

µm = microns
nm = nanometers

The long-wavelength infrared (LWIR, IR-C) ranges from 8 to 15 µm, followed by the far infrared (FIR), which ranges to 1 mm and is sometimes understood to start at 8 um already. This spectral region is used for thermal imaging. </div></div>

No, I'm pretty sure they work because of some swamp gas reflected off the moon when jupiter and venus are aligned.

Who gives a damn about all that?? It works, it's awesome, period.
It really is a game changer for whatever your hunting.

All this thread proves is flir is the shit and some of you have too much money. </div></div>

I give a damn, too many blind people to try to help out in a lifetime of genetic engineering work!

Once your eyes are damaged, you do NOT get them back again.
smirk.gif

SkyPup- can you give me an idea of how much IR illumination is too much for my eyes? Staring into the Torch Pro at 5 feet? Is that baking something?

Skypup you are on!! thanks for the tech info, i am looking at getting a similiar setup, i really love the Army new scope that has both IR and night vision in one unit and you can activate each separately, or at the same time, my wallet to thin about 28,000 to use civilians . If you can find one i had great opportunity hunting hirsch in Germany fog each night for weeks i thought NEED a thermal site!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncorry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SkyPup- can you give me an idea of how much IR illumination is too much for my eyes? Staring into the Torch Pro at 5 feet? Is that baking something? </div></div>

You should consider ALL artificial IR light from any source to be detrimental to yours and others eyesight whether or not they state that they are "Eye Safe" or not. The formulas for determining the safety factors for different cellular tissues are too complex to worry about.

Treat all IR Illuminators and Lasers like they are loaded guns, do NOT point them at any human being, then you never have to worry about it....you cannot be certain about the certified IR output from a device to begin with, don't rely on some unknown, just refrain from pointing them at anything you do not want to kill and you'll be fine.

Personally, I don't like anyone shining any IR light in my eyes at any time, laser or LED Illuminator.

Eye damage is also cumulative over time as more cells get wacked from more exposure, welders and glassblowers wear eye protection not only for the UV damage (UV has more power per photon) but also for the IR radiation.

Imagine getting an eye exam when the Ophthalmologist puts Atropine or Pilocarpine drops in your eye to dilate your pupils wide open, now imagine you are standing 10 feet in front of a automobile headlamp on high beam starring directly into the white light beam. It will hurt like hell because the drugs have nullified your autonomic nervous system response to constrict your pupils to avoid damage and pain from the bright light.

Now imagine what is going on inside your eye at night with your eyes fully dilated and starring into an IR beam.... even though it does not hurt this time, your eyes are getting zapped & screwed just the same.
frown.gif

I always thought that it was common sense not to point a gun at a human being, but many get shot accidentally anyhow.

Your right, there are all sorts out there!
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always thought that it was common sense not to point a gun at a human being, but many get shot accidentally anyhow.

Your right, there are all sorts out there!
eek.gif
</div></div>

It is, but some human beings do need a gun pointed at their face. Just saying for those serious reasons.
wink.gif

Sorry, but this had to be said.
smile.gif

My cousin accidentally shot me in the leg with a .22 long rifle when we were kids, bullet went through my left leg and exited, supposedly his rifle was NOT loaded.... my aunt kicked his ass and my mom kicked mine.
cry.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

"PIG!"

"SOOIE!"

Thermal%20Pig.jpg
</div></div>

This is one of those old Hippie Pigs that follow the Grateful Dead.....
grin.gif

They taste good too, more color = more flavor

Nailed this mangey adult male coyote @ 190 yard with one Barnes 70 grain TSX shot through the neck right at sundown, he came in to Coyote Pup Distress #3, he was a big ugly one about 45 pounds....

Mangey%20Coyote.jpg

Mangey%20Coyote2.jpg

Well I went back and read the whole thread. Question answered , thanks.

That some fancy shootin there. I wish I can pick up one of those. I just got me a zeiss orion 80/I to hunt the coyotes at night.

For Christmas this year I am upgrading my black rifle to a SIG 716 7.62X51mm with ACOG 4X TA02 - FLIR T-50 & DBAL-D2, will get it dialed in next week when the Barnes 130 grain TSX show up to load some shells

Should be a nice couple of weeks of hog and 'yote hunting coming up!
grin.gif

FLIR%20T50%20716%20Back.jpg

FLIR%20T50%20716%20Side.jpg

FLIR%20T50%20716%20Front2.jpg

Hi sky pup
Did you also buy another t-50,those are pretty expensive thermal scopes? That gun looks really nice!!
Ron g

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi sky pup
Did you also buy another t-50,those are pretty expensive thermal scopes? That gun looks really nice!!
Ron g </div></div>

No, the FLIR T-50 is a Clip-On, it takes 10 seconds to take it off one rifle and install it on another.....
grin.gif

That is the beauty of a Clip-On over a dedicated sight.

A 7.62mm Barnes 130 grain TSX @ 3,000 fps is going to be allot more smack down than a 5.56mm 70 grain TSX @ 2,800 fps......

I still have my two 556s and they will NOT be safe queens any time soon...
shocked.gif

What is a safe queen? I bought a 5.56 bushmaster yesterday for my youngest son,he is pretty happy .Looks like Obama wants to get rid of all AKs and ARs if he can because of the last shooting.Went to the gun store yesterday and you would think that the Russians were coming,they sold out of all 5.56 and 7.62 guns,it was a MADD house there.
Ron

A <span style="font-weight: bold">Safe Queen</span> is a prized firearm that is relegated to taking up space in the Locked Safe and does not see any real use outside of the Safe....

Nice rig skypup. Waiting on my LS64. Don't think Santa will bring it, but hopefully soon after.

LS-64 is pretty ausome system,quite expensive also.
Ron g

Holy Molly, it was raining cats and dogs tonight with severe thunderstorms after dark. I had just purchased my new SIG 716 7.62mm three days ago and was able to sight it in after work when I got home today for the first time with some Hornady 7.62X51mm 110 grain TAP LE rounds, since I haven't had time to work up a proper handload for this rifle.

So, it rained about two inches from 5PM to 9PM and I figured I would mosey out into the backyard and check for any song dog action with the FLIR PS-32. It was difficult to see much thermal signature of anything after the rain but I was able to detect some motion across the prairie pond in the pine trees 250 yards out.

Put the ACOG TA02 crosshairs on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger at a good 225 yards out, instant DRT.
grin.gif

To say that I am impressed is a gross understatement.....
shocked.gif

SIG%20716%20Coyote.jpg

SIG%20716%20Coyote2.jpg

Poor little doggie didn't have a chance with your new weapon.
Ron g