• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision FLIR T50?

McBridester

Wraith
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Central Louisiana
HAVE THE OPTION TO SECURE A T50 AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF THE MEMBERS HAS HAD OR RAN THIS THERMAL. ID PREFER THE T60 BUT IT MOVED BEFORE I COULD SECURE IT. IS A GOOD USED UNIT WORTH 6-7K?

Last edited:
Just my very inexperienced option but I have a IRD MkIII-35. Now the Trijicon MkIII-35. Great piece of equipment. I haven't tried it yet as a CO but it can be used that way as well as a stand alone scope. If I was going to spend that kind of money I would consider a new MKIII with a three year warranty. I think they can be had for $7K or less. In the end if the bug bites you you'll end up with a dedicated night rifle.

Reactions: McBridester
HAVE THE OPTION TO SECURE A T50 AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF THE MEMBERS HAS HAD OR RAN THIS THERMAL. ID PREFER THE T60 BUT IT MOVED BEFORE I COULD SECURE IT. IS A GOOD USED UNIT WORTH 6-7K?

They are NOT worth 6-7k, not even when they were new way back when.
I have had and run them and sold them and arent looking back.
Read Dave's post and think long and hard on it. It's a very good idea.

... I haven't tried it yet as a CO but it can be used that way as well as a stand alone scope ...

I have an update the use of non-SNIPE Trijicon thermals as clipons.

All the non-SNIPEs have pvs-14 eyepieces. PVS-14 eyepieces only support 1x magnification ... and they are also not risley prism enabled.

To my brain this means they are not clipons. But if those limitations work for you then have at it !!!

Trijicon doesn't even say they work as clipons any more as near as I can tell (they and IRD used to).

I’m looking at trijiconw but want opions on the t50 because new they are still 10k or greater and haven’t seen many people talk about them.

And the reason no one is talking about them is they are very outdated technology, one of Flir's first offerings, and long eclipsed by newer equipment by Flir and other manufacturers.
No one is talking about them further because very few people use them any more because there are so many more better less expensive items available that have proven themselves to work better.

The T50 performs about equally with a PTS233, under performs a PTS536, and a used T50 costs more than both units combined new, and a used T50 has no warranty and the 233, 536, and 736 cost less, perform better, and have warranties.

There are a lot of knowledgeable posts on Snipershide about thermals, much to learn, and worth spending time reading. The lack of T50 information should be significant evidence not to buy one.

Wigwamitus has stated the truth about the PVS14 eyepiece thermal units, and their non Clip On capabilities and there are several threads here full of information worth reading.

Snipershide has the most information you can find in one place on using thermals. Please search and read more b4 wasting your $ on a T50.

Best to you.
vr

A T50 is not worth anywhere near that, you can pick up nice used ones for under $4K regularly. Numerous have gone for $3000-$3500 recently. For $6-7K you're into LWTS territory that blows a T50 out of the water, literally no comparison.

$10K for a new T50? Again, no way. That's what you can get a new LWTS for if you shop around, or a T75 for a little more money. For $13K right now you can get a CNVD-T3 from mile high that's normally like $25K.

If a clip on is what you want the T50 is the best "cheap" one out there for $3000-$4000, but at the price you're talking you'd have to be crazy to buy it unless it's buy one get one free lol.

^what he said.
A t50 is worth about 3000
But they are mil spec 50 rated and the performance is better than the specs would say. Ideal budget clip on or loaner scope.
And perfectly fine for shorter range engagements.
image.jpg

DS, maybe I already asked this before, but if so, I forgot. What magnification can you get on the t-50 ?
2x?
3x?
4x?

Back when I had the apollo 336, 2x was fine, 3x was fuzzy, 4x was a lot fuzzy.

Good to 4x usuable to 6+ iirc. Will have to get one out and do a detailed test

Pretty sure they were made to pair with 4x acogs

@redneckbmxer24 , do you know how the T3 compares to a Utc-x or t75?

Last edited:
Reactions: wigwamitus