• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forced match?

ACK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2004
So. Ca
Howdy
Total noob on vintage rifles. I recently acquired an SVT-40, Tula 1942), with the exception of the receiver and the stock, the numbers in the remaining components are electropenciled.

I assumed that in a "forced match", the numbers in the non-original components would be obliterated and the new number electropenciled, however I see no traces of the old numbers.

The SVT has the plum colored operating handle indicating a factory refurbish, the bluing in all the parts is in very good condition, rifling is strong but the lands are frosted.

In the absence of old/non matching numbers, were new parts electropenciled?

Thanks

ACK

Re: Forced match?

Most likely. I'm going off memory but I believe I've read the Soviet method of re-arsenaling was to strip the rifles down into components, toss the pieces into piles, junk the parts out of spec/unserviceable and begin re-assembly by grabbing a piece out of the appropriate pile. All parts on the rifle were then electropenciled to match the number on the receiver then a Cosmoline dunk for good measure.

But don't quote me there, I'm at work and don't have my books but will try to check when I get home.

Also, definitely need pictures just because lol

The Soviets remarked parts in several different ways:
Stamped a line through the old number and stamped new numbers beside the old, or electropenciled new number.
Ground off old number (easily visible grind marks) and stamped or electropenciled.
Used entirely new parts and electropenciled.

You already identified the rifle as a refurb, but look for the box with a line through it that is the arsenal stamp signifying a rebuild. Could be on receiver, stock or both.

Thank you for the response. I can't find any ground/buffed surfaces on the electropenciled mark. The barrel has a different nmber (had to remove the stock) The stock as six "X" below the serial number (two letters 4 digits) Original magazine s/n has a line across S/N and the new EP number scribed above it.
Very un-Soviet like weapon. Lots of small parts, complicated assembly, fragile looking stock. Lots of machining in order to reduce weight. High attention nto detail.
Shot it, I can use peep sights, didn't do very well with the "notch" rear sight, hopefully is the operator and not the barrel...

The SVT-40 is great, for those of us shooting it at the range and not in combat!
You're right about the build quality. Soviets fielded them during WW2, and you see a lot of German soldiers carrying them. Infact, Germany gave it it's own model number.
If you have the gas valve adjusted (sounds like you do), they shoot fine. Remember to clean well after shooting corrosive, to include the gas system.