• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Form 1 efile wait times?

I submitted early December, nothing has happened since then. I called them and since this was my first F1 (I have a F4 on the same trust) they said it was delayed pending research.

Reactions: RanJam
When did you get your cover letter for prints, I didn't get mine until Oct. 20th.
I e-filed so it was pretty much instantaneous after I submitted payment. I sent them off 2 days later, and they were received and "on file" by September 1.

I e-filed so it was pretty much instantaneous after I submitted payment. I sent them off 2 days later, and they were received and "on file" by September

I e-filed so it was pretty much instantaneous after I submitted payment. I sent them off 2 days later, and they were received and "on file" by September 1.
I may be a couple of months behind you then, mine went into pending for 2 months after we efiled before I received cover letter, thanks for the info.

Strange... I actually did my 2 filings 2 days apart on Aug 22 and Aug 24, I paid for both on the 24th and had both cover letters only a couple of hours later... maybe it had to do with the submission type or info...

I may be a couple of months behind you then, mine went into pending for 2 months after we efiled before I received cover letter, thanks for the info.
Pending Research is like a 90 day wait in itself. Did you choose your own model #/name?

I picked everything except my serial number from the drop down menus and was never in pending review status. I’m at 88 days right now so it’s not an automatic 30 days or less if you pick the pre-made choices.

I picked everything except my serial number from the drop down menus and was never in pending review status. I’m at 88 days right now so it’s not an automatic 30 days or less if you pick the pre-made choices.
Choosing selctions from the menus, only helps ensure you won't go into "Pending Research". It does not stop the infamous "FBI extended BGC", otherwise known as F1 purgatory.

Reactions: darkfader
Choosing selctions from the menus, only helps ensure you won't go into "Pending Research". It does not stop the infamous "FBI extended BGC", otherwise known as F1 purgatory.
Yea, I’m just in purgatory I guess. Hopefully it gets moving soon. My deadair sandman just arrived at my dealer today too, so I can start that wait tomorrow or Friday when I get a chance to go to the shop to finish the paperwork.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Little tip.

When filling out your efile form 1, DO NOT name your can. Just use n/a in the name option. That way the ATF doesn't have to research the model name, saving you pending time.

I submitted in October to SBR an AR lower. The model wasn't in there and it's in .22 LR which wasn't on the drop down. Sent me to pending research. Just got my cover letter and sent prints in 2 weeks ago.

I'd say the estimates of 90 days for lending research are accurate, then you're in the regular wait time pool.

I submitted two for SBR's on Jan. 15th, cover letter for each within minutes or hours after submitting, and got prints mailed four or five days later. Pretty sure I used the drop downs that were available. Still says "processing" or whatever. I started a paper form 4 maybe a month earlier so we'll see which comes back first.

I'm surprised it even went through, given the hassle and how many times it completely crashed.

I've been following closely. E form file 1 trust
Cover letter 9/7/20
Fingerprints received 9/13/20

12/15 answer my ask an expert for an update "
You are in Delay status - The NICS Section has experienced unprecedented high volumes of incoming transactions requiring the escalation and reallocation of NICS employees as we strive for the timely resolution of incoming NICS transactions. As a result, backlogs in other areas of processing have occurred. One of those areas is the processing of the National Firearm Act (NFA) background checks."

I haven't seen anything since. I called last week and was told "in process'

I've been following closely. E form file 1 trust
Cover letter 9/7/20
Fingerprints received 9/13/20

12/15 answer my ask an expert for an update "
You are in Delay status - The NICS Section has experienced unprecedented high volumes of incoming transactions requiring the escalation and reallocation of NICS employees as we strive for the timely resolution of incoming NICS transactions. As a result, backlogs in other areas of processing have occurred. One of those areas is the processing of the National Firearm Act (NFA) background checks."

I haven't seen anything since. I called last week and was told "in process'
I filed Form1 Trust in August, still in process also.

Maybe all you need to do is post on this thread.

Approval email this morning at 830
No shit!

I honestly did this as an experiment, fully expecting a waste of time, refund and having to do it on paper. It crashed multiple times and took all damn day to do it. It was a fiasco.

However, I submitted two on a trust several hours apart on 15 JAN 21, the first just came back at 2.50AM! I expect I'll have the other by noon if this is any indicator.

One month to file an SBR, I can live with that.

Ha! Just got the motherfucker!

Two in 33 days, not bad. Never came that close on paper, four months was my best.

Let me go ahead and post, maybe the ATF will see and get mine sent... Form 1 suppressor submitted e-form 20 Aug 2020...

No shit!

I honestly did this as an experiment, fully expecting a waste of time, refund and having to do it on paper. It crashed multiple times and took all damn day to do it. It was a fiasco.

However, I submitted two on a trust several hours apart on 15 JAN 21, the first just came back at 2.50AM! I expect I'll have the other by noon if this is any indicator.

One month to file an SBR, I can live with that.
This has been weird to follow would be great to know exactly what the hold ups are. My form4 a few years ago was right on 7 months. My 2 F1s were simplified as much as possible. 1 RPQ....me. used established model number. i think can 1 was 27 days other was 12 both last summer. Buddy in IN just did another one about 5 weeks ago i think was 20 days or so same MO. hope you guys with outstanding long waits get punched through shooting with a can is sooooooo nice. I started up the process for another 30cal a while ago, but didn't finish it think I'm gonna punch it through now though.

Last edited:
Bighorn TL3 SBR Form 1 - Submitted Oct 15th - got control number/cover letter Jan 22
Palmetto State AR SBR lower Form 1 - Submitted Oct 17th - got control number/cover letter Feb 22

At this rate, my form 4's for cans will be approved first.

So quick question that may help others as well...plan to build a 300 blackout SBR and e-filed my form 1 which is now "pending research". In the drop down menu under weapon, they had my lower in there, an American Defense Manufacturing ambient lower which must already be labeled, in their database, as a 5.56/2.23 lower.

When I put caliber in as 7.62, that triggered the "research" as it wasn't a match for what the ATF had on that lower despite it saying "multi" on the side of the receiver.

Should I have kept it as 5.56 and if so, would it then even be legal to put the 300BO short upper on there? I'm using the measurement for the particular barrel length and bolt I'll be using in the build if those parts ever become available in my lifetime, LOL. And am I ok swapping a 16" 225/556 upper back on to that same lower, legally?
Just had my form 1 approved. Assuming the PDF in the attached email they sent is all I need to start building? I don't need to receive anything in the mail do I?

Total time for me was just over three months mostly due to the above triggering "pending research". I was actually prompted to go back in and change it to what the rifle manufacturer lists under the drop-down menu on the e-file form 1. Once that was done the process took four weeks. So if you're building a 300 blackout with a lower that's on the form 1 registry, just stick with the caliber they have listed in the drop down menu.

Just had my form 1 approved. Assuming the PDF in the attached email they sent is all I need to start building? I don't need to receive anything in the mail do I?

Total time for me was just over three months mostly due to the above triggering "pending research". I was actually prompted to go back in and change it to what the rifle manufacturer lists under the drop-down menu on the e-file form 1. Once that was done the process took four weeks. So if you're building a 300 blackout with a lower that's on the form 1 registry, just stick with the caliber they have listed in the drop down menu.
The email with the approved from 1 from the ATF is all you will get.

Reactions: Ape_Factory
All of mine has been a month besides my most recent which is going on 4 months. Idk what’s going on. Submitted an “ask the experts” and never got a response

All of mine has been a month besides my most recent which is going on 4 months. Idk what’s going on. Submitted an “ask the experts” and never got a response
Just passed 5 for me on a pair of Form 1 SBRs. Sent my finger print cards off...one Jan 22 and one Feb 22

I’m still waiting for a November 10 submission. Last I contacted the ATF, I figure I should see a stamp by the end of April.

Just passed 5 for me on a pair of Form 1 SBRs. Sent my finger print cards off...one Jan 22 and one Feb 22
I don’t want that to make me feel better, but it kind of does. Glad mine just didn’t get lost and it’s somewhat normal

I contacted my state rep to see if they might be able to hassle the FBI a little bit on mine. I’m delayed since 11/19/2020. I read on another suppressor forum that sometimes it “might” help. I’m about to start another form1 for an SBR and I’m hoping that something moves soon. I’ve had several 4473’s go through since this was submitted. I’m pretty tired of waiting.

It can be quite frustrating for sure. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to any of it. Almost like it boils down to timing and luck...

CM

I am wondering if anyone or group has gathered data on processing times according to the ATF office locations.

It would be interesting to determine if one or more offices is particularly slower or faster than the others.

According to my emails back and forth with the NFA branch, they submitted my app to the FBI 3 days after they had my fingerprint cards. It’s been in BGC delay ever since. I’ve also read that about 10% of all NFA applications get singled out for a more in-depth BGC review. I can’t speak to the validity of that statement but on this site alone, I’ve seen many people getting their stamps at right around the 30 day mark and several of us at 4-5 months or more. Hell, take a look at the form4 thread. Most of those guys are getting their stamps around the 5 month timeframe. It’s my opinion that my rights are being infringed at this point, not that the NFA wasn’t already an infringement, but this delay is absurd when my BGC is spotless and I’ve purchased both long guns and hand guns since last November when this was submitted. I’ve got a form4 processing currently too but didn’t start that until early Feb so I’m not uptight about it yet. So stupid for a damn gun muffler.
/rant

According to my emails back and forth with the NFA branch, they submitted my app to the FBI 3 days after they had my fingerprint cards. It’s been in BGC delay ever since. I’ve also read that about 10% of all NFA applications get singled out for a more in-depth BGC review. I can’t speak to the validity of that statement but on this site alone, I’ve seen many people getting their stamps at right around the 30 day mark and several of us at 4-5 months or more. Hell, take a look at the form4 thread. Most of those guys are getting their stamps around the 5 month timeframe. It’s my opinion that my rights are being infringed at this point, not that the NFA wasn’t already an infringement, but this delay is absurd when my BGC is spotless and I’ve purchased both long guns and hand guns since last November when this was submitted. I’ve got a form4 processing currently too but didn’t start that until early Feb so I’m not uptight about it yet. So stupid for a damn gun muffler.
/rant
I put in a efile form 1 for sbr on Feb 18th. Been stuck at in process pretty much ever since. Hoping I dont end up in your same boat. Got a half dozen form 4s stuck in nfa jail. this form 1 wait above what most everyone else has experienced hasnt instilled much confidence that my form 4s are going to come back in the 5 months like so many others. No idea what could stop me from being approved but Ive got other suppressors I want to buy and am nervous to buy them until I get an approval from this sbr. oh dont you just love the gov.

Submitted an Form-1 e-file application on Nov 20th, got the letter in Jan, submitted prints with the letter ASAP, and still no approval yet. It’s been almost 5 months, and still not approved. If it was going to take this long, I would have just done a regular form 4.

Submitted an Form-1 e-file application on Nov 20th, got the letter in Jan, submitted prints with the letter ASAP, and still no approval yet. It’s been almost 5 months, and still not approved. If it was going to take this long, I would have just done a regular form 4.
submitted a pair, e-file back in Oct. got one letter Jan 22, the other Feb 22...cards sent off that day. Still nothing.
And I've got three Form 4s still pending from early Oct as well. 5 Forms in all...just waiting.

Efile Form 1 submitted 3/8/21...cards sent a a few days later....cards held up by USPS for a week...

Approval email 4/2/21

Less than 30 days

This is what @padom really looks like:

360_F_44155156_XcK3nTNlyudrWK8JLXLV7xgZPSe5TYVr.jpg