• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Form 1 efile wait times?

Did my form1 suppressor application august 4 check was cashed and turned into the fbi august 18th still pending thats 95 days as of today
and i watched all the youtube videos looked on all the forums and tried to do my paper work as carefully as possible i even ordered 10 fingerprint cards and tried to get my fingerprints perfect

Last edited:
Reactions: RS250R
Eform1 individual
2 suppressors
Filed 6/17
Prints 6/22
Called 8/2
Disappeared to purgatory by 9/2 email
Approved 11/23

About 5 months tit to tat, trapped in FBI bgc

What irritates me is I have had Top Secret security clearances, I have worked in Nuclear Power Plants across the globe, I have been finger printed and background checked literally hundreds of times, and sometimes in minutes in order to get access to power plant installations... I understand DOD is different then DOE, which is different than BATFE... but "come on man" this is ridiculous, and there is no need for it to take so long.

FINALLY!!!

eForm1 for SBR
Filed 7/6/20
Fingerprints received 7/7/20
Approved 12/3/20

E-mail came first thing this morning around 0830. I have two questions:

1. Is it just the front page with the stamp on it that I keep with the firearm?

2. Will I get an "official" copy in the mail, or since I filed electronically, is what came in the e-mail what I get?

Thanks!

Reactions: darkfader
FINALLY!!!

eForm1 for SBR
Filed 7/6/20
Fingerprints received 7/7/20
Approved 12/3/20

E-mail came first thing this morning around 0830. I have two questions:

1. Is it just the front page with the stamp on it that I keep with the firearm?

2. Will I get an "official" copy in the mail, or since I filed electronically, is what came in the e-mail what I get?

Thanks!

I don’t think you get an actual copy but my online dealings were pre finger print requirements. Back then the email they send is it. (Which is bullshit if they rob you of 200$ they should at least send you the real stamp,lol).
I keep a small flash drive with pictures of the first page with the stamp and a copy of my trust on it in my range bag, and also pictures on my cell phone. I dont carry actual stamps with me, those stay locked in a safe. But honestly I’ve been pulled over with 4 supressed sbrs. The cop didn’t seem to give a shit. Never asked for proof of anything. The only time I’ve ever been asked for proof that anything was legally owned was one range officer 6-7 years ago, it’s my opinion that I don’t have to show him/her. And if he wants to be dick and call the cops he can. (I might be wrong about that) but Idc I told him no and he talked a little shit to me and then walked away.

I don’t think you get an actual copy but my online dealings were pre finger print requirements. Back then the email they send is it. (Which is bullshit if they rob you of 200$ they should at least send you the real stamp,lol).
I keep a small flash drive with pictures of the first page with the stamp and a copy of my trust on it in my range bag, and also pictures on my cell phone. I dont carry actual stamps with me, those stay locked in a safe. But honestly I’ve been pulled over with 4 supressed sbrs. The cop didn’t seem to give a shit. Never asked for proof of anything. The only time I’ve ever been asked for proof that anything was legally owned was one range officer 6-7 years ago, it’s my opinion that I don’t have to show him/her. And if he wants to be dick and call the cops he can. (I might be wrong about that) but Idc I told him no and he talked a little shit to me and then walked away.
There ain't too many people who can legally request you to produce FEDERAL TAX DOCUMENTS. Those are as private as your morning shit.

Reactions: BGE541
So quick question that may help others as well...plan to build a 300 blackout SBR and e-filed my form 1 which is now "pending research". In the drop down menu under weapon, they had my lower in there, an American Defense Manufacturing ambient lower which must already be labeled, in their database, as a 5.56/2.23 lower.

When I put caliber in as 7.62, that triggered the "research" as it wasn't a match for what the ATF had on that lower despite it saying "multi" on the side of the receiver.

Should I have kept it as 5.56 and if so, would it then even be legal to put the 300BO short upper on there? I'm using the measurement for the particular barrel length and bolt I'll be using in the build if those parts ever become available in my lifetime, LOL. And am I ok swapping a 16" 225/556 upper back on to that same lower, legally?

Just got 2 back in 25-26 days and 3rd back in 31 days.

Attachments

• 36BA69BC-EFE6-4EA3-954E-8A742D7CE7FC.jpeg
    36BA69BC-EFE6-4EA3-954E-8A742D7CE7FC.jpeg
    740.2 KB · Views: 65
The SBR (Aero) was the quickest to get approved... cans were a few days more.

According to this link, Pending Research is currently a 90-day lead time:

I still haven't received cover letters for three Form 1s that were submitted on 8/28.

Following up on this - one of my three "RESEARCH PENDING" Form 1 silencer applications switched to "SUMMITED/IN PROCESS" yesterday, approximately 100 days after filing.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Wow bam! Acquaintance up north just did 2 was like your experience can't recall exact number of days but it was under 20 total from receipt of cover letter to approved. These form 1's are so great he went from 'i'm gonna finally do a can' to having approval in under a month. I was 28 days on 1st one where I selected a custom model number. 2nd F1 I used a model number in the list already used and was 16 days. There may be something to that notation where 'further research' has to be done if selecting a model number not listed already. The 22 can is hilarious way too much fun....now if I can just find a way to quiet down that loud firing pin!
Hi I was wondering did you have to send another set of prints for the 2nd F1?
Thanks

So quick question that may help others as well...plan to build a 300 blackout SBR and e-filed my form 1 which is now "pending research". In the drop down menu under weapon, they had my lower in there, an American Defense Manufacturing ambient lower which must already be labeled, in their database, as a 5.56/2.23 lower.

When I put caliber in as 7.62, that triggered the "research" as it wasn't a match for what the ATF had on that lower despite it saying "multi" on the side of the receiver.

Should I have kept it as 5.56 and if so, would it then even be legal to put the 300BO short upper on there? I'm using the measurement for the particular barrel length and bolt I'll be using in the build if those parts ever become available in my lifetime, LOL. And am I ok swapping a 16" 225/556 upper back on to that same lower, legally?
I’ve put 556 on my my sbr’s and put them as 7.5” barrels. and I swap my 300 upper on there without giving it second thought. Yes you can put a non sbr upper on there anytime you want. The gun is just a rifle in that configuration. If you’re in trouble enough that they are calling the atf to run serial numbers etc. you cAn produce or have your lawyer produce a tax stamp to show that registered lower is legally owned.

Following up on this - one of my three "RESEARCH PENDING" Form 1 silencer applications switched to "SUMMITED/IN PROCESS" yesterday, approximately 100 days after filing.

And another follow-up - a 2nd one flipped a few hours after I posted my previous update.

I’ve put 556 on my my sbr’s and put them as 7.5” barrels. and I swap my 300 upper on there without giving it second thought. Yes you can put a non sbr upper on there anytime you want. The gun is just a rifle in that configuration. If you’re in trouble enough that they are calling the atf to run serial numbers etc. you cAn produce or have your lawyer produce a tax stamp to show that registered lower is legally owned.

But did I have to register the lower as 7.62 to run a short barrel 300 blackout setup or could I have just simply kept it as a 5.56?

Where do you get the "Research Pending" notice? On the website, or do they just tell you that if you call?

My research pending notice was by email. I asked them a follow-up question about submitting prints and they said that would come after the research period was over.

But did I have to register the lower as 7.62 to run a short barrel 300 blackout setup or could I have just simply kept it as a 5.56?
I wouldn’t worry about it, now if it were an ak or other non caliber sealing gun it might make a difference. But not an ar lower. I’m sure they’ll have a problem with it it either way if you’re committing crime with it.

I’ve followed this outline repeatedly and have had all mine done in under 30 days
I'm confused. I used a help service and they told me that I'd get an email when it got a number and then I'd send my fingerprint cards??? I did efile and I know I did it all correctly, via a trust. Did you send your cards and cleo copy before getting the 2nd email?

Reactions: mpeason
I'm confused. I used a help service and they told me that I'd get an email when it got a number and then I'd send my fingerprint cards??? I did efile and I know I did it all correctly, via a trust. Did you send your cards and cleo copy before getting the 2nd email?

What? You should have gotten an email from the ATF w/ your cover letter + CLEO forms and you have 10 days to mail things off after that point. Call whatever help service you used and figure out what's going on, and next time, do some reading before you try to do something regarding taxes. It doesn't matter if it's the ATF or the IRS, you don't trifle with taxes.

What? You should have gotten an email from the ATF w/ your cover letter + CLEO forms and you have 10 days to mail things off after that point. Call whatever help service you used and figure out what's going on, and next time, do some reading before you try to do something regarding taxes. It doesn't matter if it's the ATF or the IRS, you don't trifle with taxes.

Yeah, that's the email I havent gotten yet. I've spoken with someone at ATF already.

As soon as you sign and pay on the batf website you will get an email with the cover letter and forms. I take the cover letter with me to the mailbox center by my house, pay for two sets of fingerprints, and have them immediately mail the cover letter and fingerprint cards to the address on the cover letter.

maybe check your Spam folder? Or, You might be able to log back in to batf site and reprint the cover letter? The cover letter does state that you only have 10 days to submit the prints.

Last edited:
As soon as you sign and pay on the batf website you will get an email with the cover letter and forms. I take the cover letter with me to the mailbox center by my house, pay for two sets of fingerprints, and have them immediately mail the cover letter and fingerprint cards to the address on the cover letter. No CLEO needed.

maybe check your Spam folder? Or, You might be able to log back in to batf site and reprint the cover letter? The cover letter does state that you only have 10 days to submit the prints.
If you're app goes to "pending research" , for any number of reasons, you WILL NOT receive your cover letter UNTIL the pending research stage is completed. From that point on, you will have 10 days to submit prints.

Also included with your cover letter will be a copy of your application that is marked, "CLEO Copy". This copy NEEDS to be delivered via mail, or in person, to your CLEO you listed on your original 5320, within the same 10 day period.

As soon as you sign and pay on the batf website you will get an email with the cover letter and forms. I take the cover letter with me to the mailbox center by my house, pay for two sets of fingerprints, and have them immediately mail the cover letter and fingerprint cards to the address on the cover letter. No CLEO needed.

That's the trouble. I keep getting slightly different versions of how it's supposed to happen and what specifically is in the email they are supposed to send. It would sure be nice if you could actually talk to someone who gave a shit. I've spelled out this whole thing multiple times asking about that very issue (sending my fingerprint cards in ect), and every time I was told "when you get a control number, you will get the email telling you to send the cards"

If you're app goes to "pending research" , for any number of reasons, you WILL NOT receive your cover letter UNTIL the pending research stage is completed. From that point on, you will have 10 days to submit prints.

Also included with your cover letter will be a copy of your application that is marked, "CLEO Copy". This copy NEEDS to be delivered via mail, or in person, to your CLEO you listed on your original 5320, within the same 10 day period.

Mine did go into " pending research" but it is now "in process " . I didn't get any other email to do anything as of yet though.

Mine did go into " pending research" but it is now "in process " . I didn't get any other email to do anything as of yet though.
If you've been switched to submitted, the cover letter will be in your email. Potentially in your "spam" folder. It will also be available if you log into your ATF acct, and is listed in your forms. I have had great success with "ask the experts"

Just re-read the paperwork and it does say to submit your copy to Cleo, just don’t see where it states 10 days?

Last edited:
I emailed a lady who's address I got on here. She responded quickly but basically said "she can't do anything, but knows they are way behind" . I emailed her again to try and clarify this and get this straight or be able to talk to someone that can actually look at it and tell me what in the hell I'm supposed to do. So far the only actually answer has been "wait" . Which is fine if that's the correct answer.

If you've been switched to submitted, the cover letter will be in your email. Potentially in your "spam" folder. It will also be available if you log into your ATF acct, and is listed in your forms. I have had great success with "ask the experts"
I had zero success with "ask the experts" .

I've looked over and over for the email. I didn't get it that one. I haven't gotten any email from them since I originally submitted everything. I did get one then, but nothing since.

Then it should be attached to your file on the e-forms page

Then it should be attached to your file on the e-forms page

How would I Locate that on the eforms page? When I double click on the " submitted /in process " the word "form 1" drops down. Then double click on that, I get the banner that shows the following categories.

ID (under this is an ID number)

Internal Control number (nothing in the box above or below)

Permit number (nothing in the box above or below)

Created by (below it has my name)

Created date (below it has 09/06/2020)

Submitted Date (nothing in the box above or below)

Finalized date (nothing in the box above or below)

Actions (it has a symbol with an eye on there and when you click on that, it takes you to the steps to complete this I assume? I click "next" and it shows my tax paid, and asks for an "internal control number" which I don't have.

Thanks for any help.

Mine had been watermarked submitted

Mine have a "DRAFT" mark across the Middle of them. I was told that when they approve, I will get the email with the cover sheet to send in with my fingerprint cards.

There appears to have been some changes in how they do it due to covid + some variations on the timing of these things due to the staffing changes (also due to covid and gun buying going through the roof).

It's all very confusing and difficult.

Pending research was like a 100 day wait, last I saw. I had 2 get trapped in FBI BGC, took 5 months total

Pending research was like a 100 day wait, last I saw. I had 2 get trapped in FBI BGC, took 5 months total

Yeah, I heard the extra delays now we're because of agents being taken away from form 1 work and doing backgrounds for gun purchases. Who knows if that's the truth though.

Mine has been "in process" for about 2-1/2 months. It was only in the pending for about 2 weeks. Who knows. I have some form 4's in with a local place who makes suppressors, but I put the form 1 in because "they are much faster approval" ... ha ha. So much for that. At this rate I will have my Form 4's back first. Oh well

112 days for 2 form 1 suppressors, print cards received 2 days after form submitted...

Last edited:
I am only getting 3 calibers listed in the drop down menu 22, 40 and 7.62 in the line item section, anyone else having this problem? When I go the next step the caution sign comes on. The caliber 22 that I put down disappears?

suppresscaliber.JPG

Because your model name does not match the calibers they have on file with that model name

Submitted on Black Friday and approval email on Boxing Day, 10 minutes ago!
Gonna be making chips today!

Well I sent my cards and cleo in on Dec 17th, so hopefully it's gotten there by now. I expect my stamp to be coming along soon.

However, had I not emailed that nice lady at atf again, asking about my situation for the 2nd time, I don't think I'd have gotten anything yet. She responded right away (as she did the first time) and then the next day, boom, I got the email. I think it's just random and is a matter of who looks at your file and when. It may be someone who doesn't care and doesn't do anything with it, or it may be someone who checks and puts it through right then, or something in between.

I'm so glad I got that email address on here though. That lady was super nice and helpful. With all the confusion and many people telling me I'd done it wrong ect... I didn't know what else to do and had no luck with the normal channels to talk to anyone at atf. That lady was clutch for me. Of course the whole reason I did a form 1 was because I didn't want to wait for my other 2 form 4's that went in a few weeks before my form 1 did.... I will probably get them all about the same time now. Oh well, now I will have a can that I make and the benefits of that as well as some sweet cans made elsewhere. 1- YHM 9mm can and one made by my friends at a local shop, 1- made via quiet bore kit

I labeled it as 7.62 in the e-file doc and got the pending research notice. Next time I'll keep it 5.56.

At least at the moment you can change the upper to to different caliber by simply writing the ATF a letter after the stamp is a approved describing the changes. A better option than spending a year in research.