• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

It will take 6-8 weeks or so from the time you mailed it to the time the ATF can give you any info over the phone. The paperwork goes to Atlanta where the check is cashed, then sent to WV for actual processing. For example, my last 2 stamps were received in Atlanta 29 July and 29 August of last year, and went pending 24 September and 7 October respectively.
Thanks, that's reassuring at least. I was beginning to question whether or not the dealer sent it...its been a nightmare thus far so this would have been the icing on the cake lol. I'll check again at the end of the month!

Dealer sent in a paper form 4 packet on May 9th, called ATF and they had no record of my trust, the serial number, or anything from dealer related to me. Should I be worried or is it still too early for it to show up in their system?

Mainly I just want confirmation the check was cashed and I'm pending...

your check should have been cashed already.

my dealer sent my stuff in sometime last week, and the check was cashed today.

i usually send my own stuff in, but this time he was adamant about him doing it. i guess, from what he said, people take too long to send their own stuff, then call him bitching that it wasn't approved yet, meanwhile they sent there forms in 2-3 months after paying for the item. so he took over control of sending in paper work. i have dealt with him before, so i trusted him. but i also kept on his ass. if i were to go thru a new dealer, so sorry bro, i do my own paper work.

This is VERY encouraging news.
I'm right behind you, so it looks like I'll have my BA30 in time for hunting season.

SBR Form 1, Trust, paper filed
Sent 9-16-13
Check Cashed 9-24-13
Didn't check to see when it went pending
Approved 05-28-14
Received 05-30-14

It looks like they may be picking up the pace. It took 10 months for my last couple of stamps, only 8.5 months for this one. Hopefully this trend continues.

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Suppressor Form-4
Submitted via e-forms: 31 Jan '14
Approved/emailed: 8 Jun '14[/FONT]

You guys should not feel bad. IT WILL BE 15 MONTHS BEFORE I RECEIVE MY SILENCERS.. THAT IS 15 MONTHS, AND THAT IS **IF** I get it in June.

- March 1st 2013: Bought Silencer Online and paid in full

- March 5th 2013: Paperworks sent from Online Retailer to ATF for Form3 transfer to my local gun shop.

- May 2nd 2013: Online store checked status for me and they said ATF lost paperwork, online shop resubmitted paperwork.

- July 1st 2013: Form3 dealer to dealer transfer completed. Submitted Form4 for the Dealer2 transfer to me.

- Nov 8th 2013: Pending #1. Called ATF and they said it went Pending July 8th 2013 and still in Pending status

- March 6th 2014: Pending #2. Called ATF and they said it went Pending Aug 28th 2013. They also said it will be completed in June 2014.

- June 2014: This is the Date ATF gave me on the phone telling me when the Form4 paperwork will complete.

- June 9th, 2014: Called the ATF and they told me both my Silencers were approved April 1st, 2014!!! However, as of today, June 9th, 2014 my Dealer never got the Stamps from the ATF. The Dealer told me they are going to call the ATF today and see if they can get this sorted.

Got approved April 1st and My Local Gun Store had the Silencers all along! They were calling the wrong number.. not just that, but when I called to ask for a status 3 weeks ago, they said NOTHING. So I assumed it was just a ATF delay.

Octane 45 purchased: 04/28/14
Trust mailed: 05/02/14
Check cashed: 05/05/14
Pending: 05/09/14

When speaking to the gentleman at the BATF I was told to expect my suppressor around March 2015. While I'm pleased that everything has gone without a hitch and the suppressor went pending so quickly, I was not expecting an 11 month approval quote. I had judged approx 6-8 months from what I've seen on nfa tracker with the paper forms currently being approved and heard here on the hide. Granted my expectations might very well be unrealistic but has anyone else submitted their paperwork around this time and if so what approval time were you given.

that seems like a blanket statement with the wait times.

the cans i picked up yesterday, there was a guy that claimed he called 2 weeks ago and was told to expect his new toy in august. well, he picked it up yesterday. mine took 9 months from mail in date to in my hands.

that seems like a blanket statement with the wait times.

the cans i picked up yesterday, there was a guy that claimed he called 2 weeks ago and was told to expect his new toy in august. well, he picked it up yesterday. mine took 9 months from mail in date to in my hands.

Yeah, they are just giving blanket quotes of 11-12 months from when it was received. In early April I was told July for my 22 can. It was approved on 26 April.

I was told on 27 May that my 308 can would be approved in August. I called 2 days later on a hunch, and was told it had been approved the 27th.

Form 4 Individual
Mailed 08/21/13
Pending 10/7/13
Approved 05/27/14

Form 4 Individual
Mailed 09/19/13
Pending 11/13/13
Approved 06/05/14

QUESTION:

Can one of you explain this whole "pending" thing to me?

I sent in my first Form 4 in via a trust (submitted on paper through my friends at Mile High). Anyway, I can tell that my check was cashed on May 13th, 2014, because that's easy enough to see via my bank account records. I always just assumed that the cashing of the check meant that my application was pending. But, I see others on here mentioning a different "pending" date. So, what does all of that mean? And, how can I determine when my application went into its "pending" phase?

Obviously I know I'll be waiting a while, but I guess I'd like to understand a little bit more about the process involved in the good folks at the ATFE taking 1 year to complete a 2 minute background check… (sigh)

QUESTION:

Can one of you explain this whole "pending" thing to me?

I sent in my first Form 4 in via a trust (submitted on paper through my friends at Mile High). Anyway, I can tell that my check was cashed on May 13th, 2014, because that's easy enough to see via my bank account records. I always just assumed that the cashing of the check meant that my application was pending. But, I see others on here mentioning a different "pending" date. So, what does all of that mean? And, how can I determine when my application went into its "pending" phase?

Obviously I know I'll be waiting a while, but I guess I'd like to understand a little bit more about the process involved in the good folks at the ATFE taking 1 year to complete a 2 minute background check… (sigh)

With a Form 4, you mail the paperwork to an ATF office in Atlanta. They take your paperwork, remove the check/MO and deposit it. Your forms are then sent to the ATF office in West Virginia for processing. Once the form arrives in WV and is processed, it gets assigned to an inspector's queue. Once it is assigned to a queue, it is in 'pending' status. That said, if you call the ATF and ask what inspector has your paperwork they may give you the wrong name. I was told my SDN-6 was bring handled by Al Lamberger, but it was signed off by Brittany Brown.

You can check the status of your forms, and get your pending date, by calling the ATF in West Virginia - 304-616-4500. You will need to give them your serial number, the name of the dealer you bought it from, and your name.

The main cause of the extended wait is simple backlog. Before some of the changes made a few weeks ago to help speed things up, the ATF was something like 80,000 forms behind. They received 199,900 forms last year for processing.

The current wait times from PENDING to APPROVED is running around 7 months. From the time your paperwork gets to Atlanta to the time it is PENDING is usually 4-8 weeks. Both of my Form 4s that have come back in the last 2 months were approved almost exactly 9 months after being received in Atlanta.

Last edited:
With a Form 4, you mail the paperwork to an ATF office in Atlanta. They take your paperwork, remove the check/MO and deposit it. Your forms are then sent to the ATF office in West Virginia for processing. Once the form arrives in WV and is processed, it gets assigned to an inspector's queue. Once it is assigned to a queue, it is in 'pending' status. That said, if you call the ATF and ask what inspector has your paperwork they may give you the wrong name. I was told my SDN-6 was bring handled by Al Lamberger, but it was signed off by Brittany Brown.

You can check the status of your forms, and get your pending date, by calling the ATF in West Virginia - 304-616-4500. You will need to give them your serial number, the name of the dealer you bought it from, and your name.

The main cause of the extended wait is simple backlog. Before some of the changes made a few weeks ago to help speed things up, the ATF was something like 80,000 forms behind. They received 199,900 forms last year for processing.

The current wait times from PENDING to APPROVED is running around 7 months. From the time your paperwork gets to Atlanta to the time it is PENDING is usually 4-8 weeks. Both of my Form 4s that have come back in the last 2 months were approved almost exactly 9 months after being received in Atlanta.

Thanks. Backlog or not, I think you just gave a perfectly reasonable explanation of how perfectly unreasonable this system is ;)

I mean, I know there's a backlog on the ATFE end, my gripe is mostly that there shouldn't be. We each pay our $200 stamp, sit back and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait… mostly because we're told that that's the way things are, and we don't really have any say in the matter. It just shouldn't be that way. A couple of 22 year olds fresh out of college could have designed a better, cheaper, and far more efficient system for processing the Form 4. But, we still have to assume that it's entirely reasonable for it to take 8-12 months for a 2 minute background check to be performed (and I absolutely guarantee that their background check takes no longer than that).

It took my agency less time to do my pre-employment background check, and they literally tracked down and spoke to roughly 100 people I've known (so far as I've been able to estimate it).

Preach on ..... LOL. Buy something every month then you have something coming in all the time then you don't notice the wait.

I sent in the last 2 items a month apart and they hit 3 days apart. :)

Last edited:
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Suppressor Form-4
Submitted via e-forms: 31 Jan '14
Approved/emailed: 8 Jun '14[/FONT]

If that is the case mine should be really soon, I efiled on the 22nd of February.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

^^^ jealous! The retailer I bought from should have efiled mine early Feb, but when batf couldn't find either of my serial numbers I contacted them - spring guns and ammo - they said they weren't able to and paper filed them without letting me know jack shit about what was going on. So mine should have been coming back this or next month, but not now. What a waste of $450 on the trust. :/

sent by telepathy

i wouldn't say it was a waste of money for the trust. far from it. you can now at least put your family on it and have be able to have access to the items.

i wouldn't say it was a waste of money for the trust. far from it. you can now at least put your family on it and have be able to have access to the items.

I'd say it was a waste of money if he spent $450 for a nfa trust. thats insanely over priced.

I'd say it was a waste of money if he spent $450 for a nfa trust. thats insanely over priced.

Depends what you get for the money. I would agree if someone printed off forms from Quicken Willmaker but it if was handled by a trust attorney that took their time with the client going through various scenarios with co-trustees, successor trustees and beneficiary scenarios, it could easily be worth more than $450.

I have had one customer use a very lengthy trust that he worked through with his attorney for his kids and future grandkids that cost him $3,000 and he believes it was well worth it.

Darin

LoL nothing that elaborate, but yes drawn up by an atty. Pretty certain it's not just some quicken form. Wasted $$ because I did it specifically to efile. Had my paperwork at the CLEO, pulled it out, drew up trust and took everything to spring guns and ammo to efile only to learn they decided, without asking me, to paper file

sent by telepathy

Picked up my 2 Mufflers Yesterday!

The actual Form-4 part took 9 months this time around. That is 9 months from check cashed (July 8th 2013) to Approved (April 1st, 2014). My last 4 NFA items all took 3-4 months (2008-2010).

Finally Home! 15 months from Time of Purchase! Form-3 Transfer took 4 months, 9 months for the Form-4, and it was sitting at my local dealer for another 2 months because they did not have my correct phone number!
IMG_27851-vi.jpg

Silencero .45 Osprey with Extra Piston for HK threading. XD45 Threaded barrel by Pistol Gear. HK45c threaded barrel is a Factory HK45c barrel.
IMG_2788-vi.jpg

On the HK45
IMG_2794-vi.jpg

On the XD45
IMG_2795-vi.jpg

YHM .308 Ti QD. Only 15 oz! That is half the weight of my YHM .308 SS muffler.
IMG_2798-vi.jpg

Stamp Collecting!
IMG_27991-vi.jpg

Yes not a total waste. But I was filing it in under my llc originally by paper, then decided to use trust and efile.

sent by telepathy

...trusts, corps, and llc=legal entities=no current requirement for cleo signoff/prints/photos=efile...not sure why you could not efile using your existing llc???

it is my impression that most decide to form a trust to acquire nfa items - rather than a corp or llc - since the corporate route requires more effort and $$ to maintain - such as filing yearly tax returns, license fees, etc....

2 cans on an individual form 4:

Pending 24 Oct
Approved 17 Jun!!!

My Air Force retirement ceremony is Fri, so happy retirement present to me!

I sent in my paperwork in Oct of 13 and my stamp came in today. I had called two weeks ago and the lady told me I'd get it in October.

I had 2 come back last week.
Submitted Match 25 Approved June 11
Submitted April 1 Approved June 11.
Both were E-filed. Also received a form 1 I submitted in Feb. (I can't recall the exact day right now). So it looks like they are def batch approving.
But 2.5 months I can't complain about at all.

Form 1 for a can build
-Check cashed 9-17-13
-Stamp in hand 6-14-17
-It only took them a week to cash my check- right at 9 months.... bullshit

Well, 2 form 4's filled out and mailed out today.......nothing like christmas in February or March!

AAC Cyclone & Surefire 556RC

Payment Sent: 10/30/2013
Checks Cashed: 11/05/2013
Pending: 12/10/2013
Approved: 06/22/2014
Stamp Received: 06/28/2014

In keeping with the spirit of sharing information:

Check cashed: Oct 24, 2013
Form stamped June 24th, 2014
Nickie Dudash- examiner
Stamps received: July 1st, 2014

2 TBAC's ( 223P-1 & 30P-1 ).

Via trust 5 cans, pending on 2/29-3/6, all approved 4 months to the date.

Does anyone know how long it took from the time they were assigned an investigator to the time of approval took? I was just assigned Albert Lamberger. check cashed 2/10 pending 3/24. Form 4

Efiled the end of February and approved yesterday, but scheduled completion date was middle of August

TBAC 30BA purchased from one of Steve Walker's group buys last year. Paper form 4 with a generic Quicken trust.

Purchased: May 2013
Form 4 sent: 10/30/13
Check cashed: 11/8/13
Pending: 1/2/14
Approved: 7/1/14

Just got a form 1 back to build a can.

eFiled/cashed - feb 10
Approved - July 5

I called about a month ago and said I shouldnt expect it till August. Looks like they are ahead of schedule.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TBAC 30BA purchased from one of Steve Walker's group buys last year. Paper form 4 with a generic Quicken trust.

Purchased: May 2013
Form 4 sent: 10/30/13
Check cashed: 11/8/13
Pending: 1/2/14
Approved: 7/1/14

who is the examiner? if you dont mind. I sent my form 4 trust paperwork in on Oct 20 2013. I am still waiting.