• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

free float tube bipod mount

Re: free float tube bipod mount

What I did was order a few JP Quick Detach Sling Studs:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/jp-rifles-quick-detach-sling-stud-with-backer-plate.html

They are right at .250" and the DPMS slots are a bit less so some careful filing is needed. Do it right and it is a snug fit.

I did a fine lapping of the threaded end of the float tube so the slots ended up where I wanted when tightened down, 0 and 180 deg. for me.

I have a solid FF tube on one of my rifles in which I just drilled and tapped the tube for a threaded sling stud. It probably took all of 5 minutes to do.

I did the drilling on my first one also, but it pissed me off when after a few installation and removal cycles, the swivel was no longer at 0600. And forget where the hole ends up on another rifle. I despise lots of random holes drilled in like something from E L.A. and Cheech & Chong.

I hear you.

I wasn't planning on burning through barrels with this one, so I felt comfortable doing it. Realistically, my whole free float tube cost less than what some manufacturers are asking for a section of rail piece for their tubes, so if need be I can buy a new one or time the handguard on a lathe or something.