• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Frog Legs Anyone?

I live gigging. Unfortunately we have a season here in IL and it doesn’t start until mid June. Have caught a few lately with my daughters though while fishing - catch and release of course!

Attachments

• E8488D2F-2A52-4720-BBB1-1E52564C2FE0.jpeg
    E8488D2F-2A52-4720-BBB1-1E52564C2FE0.jpeg
    632.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 35265430-06D9-4CFD-9B13-414D8F8500D2.jpeg
    35265430-06D9-4CFD-9B13-414D8F8500D2.jpeg
    497.9 KB · Views: 61
Literally one of the best things to eat! If you have a bass pro close grab the uncle bucks fry seasoning and just dip them in milk no egg so the batter is not heavy and it’s amazing! They make a spicy also and it kicks ass on fish and wild Turkey also!!!

Love me some frog legs. Heard a bunch at my dads lake other day! Trip soon. I shine with light. Shoot em between the eyes with 22

Those are some nice size frogs. I do love me some frog legs. There is a restaurant local to me that has all you can eat frog legs every Thursday for $14.95.

Reactions: BCX
We catch em by hand in rice fields. 4 wheeler in first gear with a headlight along the bank. Catch crawfish sacks full at a time. Use a band saw to dehead them. LOVE frog legs

Reactions: Simonsza1
I can't bring myself to even attempt them. I don't know how y'all do it. 🤢 I hear good things but I'm not brave enough.

I said the same thing about squid and other things like it.
I remember back in '86 we were TDY in Naples Italy and I was hanging out with my buddy Jeff Hartmankok.
Jeff and I stopped at a restaurant to have an early dinner and he asked if I wanted some calamari. I told him squid was bait, not food.

Of course he asked if I had ever tried eating it and I said no.

He told me I should try it because he knew I would like it.
Again, I said no thanks.

He said, "Mike, I'm Dutch Indonesian and I've literally tried things that would make you puke just looking at them. The one thing I've learned is if you don't like something, spit it out, drink a beer and try something else."

To make a long story short, I tried it and we ate an entire platter of squid before our meal.
I've kept that thought in my mind since then and have gone on to enjoy a lot of great foods that I would not have tried if it wasn't for Jeff.

@DamagedGuds
It's not about bravery, it's about opening your mind and then opening your mouth.

Disclaimer:
I've used this tactic on wimmins to try new things and I ain't talking about food. It seems to work...

@Mike Casselton
I have a very open mind but there are some things I'm not willing to try. It's not mental for me, but in my experience if it looks questionable (subjective) the odds are it isn't any good. You're also talking to a person that doesn't enjoy any type of venison or seafood. I've had calamari, way too fishy tasting. Especially when I'm TDY I will try something new, you never know when that opportunity will arise again. For instance I tried camel on a deployment, not a fan.

Camel is about the gamiest meat I've ever eaten.

If you don't like seafood, it's hard to imagine you trying calamari. BTW, the tastiest part are the tentacles. Octopus is also very good. I don't like fishy tasting fish, but my wife does.

I grew up not liking much and having a bland palate.
Things are much different now. The one thing I won't do is judge food by its appearance.
Texture will throw me off much quicker. That's why I can't stand onions and also mayo.

Paté has a great flavor but for me it's just mush. Hard pass but at least I tried it.

Caviar and roe look like hell to me but the taste and texture are fine.

Reactions: DamagedGuds
I can definitely eat, salmon, shrimp, snow, king, and Dungeness crab. Anything beyond those is, absolutely not. I tried octopus and calamari and it was a rough swallow being so fishy haha. If you haven't yet, try lengua (or tongue) another one I can't do. For some strange reason I absolutely love tripe, I think it's the texture of that for me, it's chewy. I love onions and mayo both. Necessities for my burgers and I dip my fries in mayo. We each have things we like and love. A lot may have to do how we were raised or have had the opportunites for each. I've tried lots of gamey food and lots of fishy food, lots of chewy and squishy food.

My first “date” with my now wife was a froggin’ trip. She was sitting in the back of the boat with a Coors Lite in one hand, and a Q-beam in the other. I can still picture it. My buddy was driving the boat, I was laid out in the front grabbing.

In Louisiana, it’s illegal to break the skin, so you gotta grab ‘em. It makes it more interesting when you’re dodging snakes and alligators.

There ain’t much better than fresh fried frog legs!

My first “date” with my now wife was a froggin’ trip. She was sitting in the back of the boat with a Coors Lite in one hand, and a Q-beam in the other. I can still picture it. My buddy was driving the boat, I was laid out in the front grabbing.

In Louisiana, it’s illegal to break the skin, so you gotta grab ‘em. It makes it more interesting when you’re dodging snakes and alligators.

There ain’t much better than fresh fried frog legs!
That’s awesome sounds like a good wife! I totally agree there’s not much better eating then fresh legs. Always a good day when you’ve finally figured out the difference between cottonmouth eyes and a frogs!

Reactions: lash and 338dude
I have been a big fan of frog legs for ever. We used to use pementos peppers or a red feather on a small hook. Do it right and frogs would fight each other to get it such good times . That being said I don't like fishy tasting fish like salmon "but love catching them" . I eat calamari every chance I get and have never had any that was fishy tasting just good eats.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Anyone out there wanna send me some bullfrog tadpoles?
I’m a born and raised Texan living in Alaska. We don’t have bullfrogs up here but I remember as a kid having them for the first time at a church pot luck.
mill just have to make due with my salmon and halibut until I can get some tadpoles to raise.

A neighbor told me a story about gigging for frogs in Florida with his brother. We will call them Joe and Bill.

Joe is in the front of the Jon Boat with Bill poling in the rear. Joe has on a head lamp and the gigging spear in hand.

While Bill is slowly pushing the boat along on the water, a snake falls from the tree above into the middle of the boat.

From what Joe told me, his brother Bill was deadly with a 1911, except that night.

Seeing this reptilian terror in the boat, Bill jerks his 1911 out of the holster faster than you can say Hershey Squirt.

He empties the magazine at the snake, missing it with every shot. I'll give you three guesses what the bullets hit instead and you would be correct on the first one.

Only Rednecks and Deplorables eat frog legs.

I have had them many ways and loved em all!! Fried is my favorite.

We always caught em with a hand when frog hunting, occasionally on a hook when fishing, but never on purpose.
Always came home a mess. Mom would hose us off with the garden hose out back, laughing at us the whole time.

They were a favorite of my paternal grandmother. When we were kids she'd send us to the cattle water troughs in the evening and using a mesquIte switche we'd hit 'em on the head as they rested on the edge. A small army of them would make her happy!