• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Funnels and You

IndianaRem5r

Major General
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Pawnee, IN
So, I have a new .243 rifle project to reload for and my .308 Satern funnel doesn't fit a .243 case that well. Also, I can't get a 6mm/.243 Satern on Amazon with free shipping. Very disturbing.... I started to look elsewhere for the ultimate funnel. I found the Xtreme Hardcore line of reloading funnels and they offer "free shipping", but this is a $30 funnel, for gosh sakes. My wife will kill me. I ordered one. Life is short and perhaps now, even shorter. Has anybody else tried these funnels and did they improve your life? Link is below:
http://xtremehardcoregear.com/powderfunnels.html

Why not get a cheap RCBS funnel. The one I have has loaded thousands of 308, 260 and 223 rounds without a problem.

Reactions: MarkCO
Why not get a cheap RCBS funnel. The one I have has loaded thousands of 308, 260 and 223 rounds without a problem.

The green plastic RCBS funnel is a total failure for .243. It wobbles like crazy. Garbage. I use Saterns for .223 and .308 and they work well.

I have a Xtreme Hardcore funnel for the .223. Don't really care for it. The funnel mouth is much smaller, 1 7/8" vs 2 3/8"" for the Satern. Making it more difficult to pour a charge easily into the funnel opening. The length of the Xtreme funnel opening is also shorter than the Satren also adding to making the pour of the charge more difficult. And because of its larger size the Satern is easier to handle. Stick to the tried and true Satern.

Kill her before she kills you then.

Ive used an rcbs funnel for years until I upgraded to the area 419 kit.it is expensive; would've been cheaper for me if I just bought caliber specific funnels like mentioned above. But the 419 kit offers a lot more versatility and the stackable drop tubes. That's been indispensable for me. Jon forced me to buy two more and I'm gonna be dropping charges a foot high

Area 419 Funnel Kit. Buy once and youll have adapters for virtually all calibers you need

COME ON! I really should buy something useful, like a tube mic... but now i'm buying these.

Thanks for feeding the addiction :rolleyes:

I have the Xtreme funnels in several calibers and have been very happy with them.

The key is to buy the wife a wife equivalent of an Area 419 Funnel Kit. Or do a few other favors.

(that works part of the time)

Hey it worked for the AMP and the Giraud trimmer so I'm on a roll!

Reactions: Jackomason
My XTreme funnel did arrive and it works wonderfully for .243. It fits the case perfect and seals very well. It is smaller than a Satern but I have no trouble dumping powder to it. It also never bridges with stick/extruded powder. My .223 Satern bridges about 10% of the time and I always have to tap it to make sure or a big mess results.

I have the 419 funnel kit. It's is flashy and looks nice, but honestly doesnt work any better than the cheap funnels. The funnel still gets clogged up when loading varget or h4350 on .223 and 6.5 cases. Its heavy and wobbly, if you are using the cheap plastic loading trays. As far as functionality is concerned, the satern funnels work better. Also cheaper, if you are only loading a few calibers.

My Area419 funnel hasnt clogged once with 8208 for 223 or H4350 for 6.5x47L.

The benefit of the Area419 is huge if you need drop tubes as you can stack as many as you want and you have multiple calibers vs buying Saturns in each caliber at $30/ea.

I have both Saturn's and Area 419 kit. Love the stackable drop tubes.

Drop it like it's hot

Attachments

• photo53625.png
    photo53625.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 130
Lol, I just use the regular ol' red Lee funnel.

I just use the regular old universal mec funnel I grabbed for 4 bucks at cabelas on a whim. Never had it jam up on me even with the long 4064 kernels. But maybe that only really becomes an issue with compressed loads?

DAMN Y'ALL!! I did NOT need to see these Area419 funnels!! Lol! Especially the stackable drop tubes! I guess I'm going to be ordering soon and selling off my Satern funnels. Lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAMN Y'ALL!! I did NOT need to see these Area419 funnels!! Lol! Especially the stackable drop tubes! I guess I'm going to be ordering soon and selling off my Satern funnels. Lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ya, they got me also haha

I'm actually using the disposable black things that a Dr uses to put on the thing he uses to check you ears. Took my kid to the Pediatrician and saw them hanging on the wall and snagged a couple different sizes. Fit great for 223 and 6.5. Only down side is the are only like 3/4" diameter so you have to have a steady hand.

Bringing this thread back for a question...

While loading up some 223 the other night, I noticed that my cheap Lee powder funnel can allow powder to escape the case if the funnel isn't held vertical to the case. I never had this problem with the funnel while loading 308, obviously due to the difference in neck size. So now I am looking to pick up a new funnel, and I am looking for one that will fit snug on a 223 case, and hold itself upright while I pour powder in. The other thing I am looking for is a funnel that is compatible with a longer drop tube because I would like to minimize any powder compression.

I have come across a few options that look like they will fit the bill:

1) Forster Funnel - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/293879/forster-blue-ribbon-powder-funnel-with-long-drop-tube
Cheap, decent reviews, nice long drop tube. Looks like it would get the job done. Only thing I don't like about it is that it is universal fit, which I take to mean that it is sloppy on a 223 case.

2) Area 419 - http://www.area419.com/product/billet-interchangeable-head-powder-funnel/
Most expensive, but seems like everyone here really likes the kit. For the funnel, 223 adapter, and 3" drop tube I am looking at ~$60 + shipping. Even with all that aluminum (with 3" drop tube), these can sit securely on the case by themselves?

3) 21st Century - http://www.xxicsi.com/powder-funnel.html
Middle of the price range, I like the idea of a clear drop tube, and I like that they caliber specific. Pictures show it sitting nice and straight on a case unsupported.

So based on this, I am leaning towards the 21st century funnel, but am curious to hear anyone's opinions on that funnel? I see alot of people mentioning the Area 419 setup in this thread, but no mention of the other two. Thanks in advance.

This is going to become a 25 page funnel debate. I use a Forster with a long drop tube. It works great with 22-30 cal. $15.

This is going to become a 25 page funnel debate. I use a Forster with a long drop tube. It works great with 22-30 cal. $15.

lol I figured it would be better for me to bump this thread and add to it rather than just start another... How does the Forster work with 22 cal necks? Does it hold itself up and make a proper seal, or does it require you to hold it in place while pouring powder?

It depends on your neck diameter. With LC brass expanded for .002” neck tension it’s an interference fit. It will lift the case out of the block. With bigger cals you have to hold it against the case.

I wonder if they offer a tube honing service for their funnels?

I switched to Saturn aluminum funnels. I only handload for 6.5 and 308, so buying 2 funnels wasn't a big deal. I was using a rcbs plastic funnel and the amount of static it produced was literally flinging kernels everywhere. Tried wiping it with a dryer sheet, but had to do it for each loading session. Just another miniscule task that wasn't worth the effort vs getting an aluminum funnel.

I keep it simple and use a Forster “Blue Ribbon” drop tube funnel. Never had a need for the fancy stuff.

I like the Saturn funnels. Here's a pic of my setup with a 12" clear drop tube and a stand I made that holds the tube/funnel until I put a case under the tube.

STAND.JPG