• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gain twist barrels?

Hi,

Ok, so after reading a couple posts about what you are looking to do..I HAVE to ask a few questions.

1. What is your intended purpose of this build?
2. What are you looking to gain with such long barrel on the 300PRC?
3. You exit twist is right in the middle ground of jacketed/monos. Depending on jacket it could be too fast at PRC MVs, depending on monos it could not be fast enough at PRC MVs...
4. What benefits do you see in using such heavy projectile in the 300PRC?

Sincerely,
Theis
Thanks for trying to help a newbie!
1) long distance shooting/ 1200+yards
2) additional bullet velocity
3)could use some help here
4) the ability to resist wind/ high bc/
Honestly I probably don’t know enough about this to be building a custom rifle, but I figured I could use every advantage I could get. Definitely looking for advice from experienced shooters, with the components/caliber I am using.

Look to benchrest To find what works. Guys, if gain twist was was all that, they would be using it. Use the right twist for the bullets you will be shooting and concentrate on load development. As a note, I like Bartlien barrels just fine, but all my best barrels have been Krieger or Brux... just my thoughts, your mileage may vary...
Wayne

Reactions: Criver600
BR is not shot off barricades or different positions, so I'd hardly constrain myself to what they're shooting...

Reactions: Geno C.
And the Left-hand twist is designed for right-handed shooters, you can feel it.

Read Pope: goes back to the turn of the century for positional shooting, the advantages are clear and mechanical vs software fixes most default

Look to benchrest To find what works. Guys, if gain twist was was all that, they would be using it. Use the right twist for the bullets you will be shooting and concentrate on load development. As a note, I like Bartlien barrels just fine, but all my best barrels have been Krieger or Brux... just my thoughts, your mileage may vary...
Wayne

Bench rest isn't ELR or heavy bullets, both are where gain twists work.

And the Left-hand twist is designed for right-handed shooters, you can feel it.

Read Pope: goes back to the turn of the century for positional shooting, the advantages are clear and mechanical vs software fixes most default

This I expect to be the biggest advantage on the one being installed any day now.

Recoiling/Torquing into mass, rather than away has to help with follow through.

This I expect to be the biggest advantage on the one being installed any day now.

Recoiling/Torquing into mass, rather than away has to help with follow through.

I'm kicking myself for not doing a left-hand twist. Chickened out at the last minute because it was something different then normal. Should know better.

I'm kicking myself for not doing a left-hand twist. Chickened out at the last minute because it was something different then normal. Should know better.

Im doing .308.

I was really interested in trying a faster twist wanting a "shorter" barrel and to satisfy curiosity.

I saw this or another thread and a Leprechaun suggested a 3/4 gain.

LRI is likely cutting this Bartlein this week.....
  1. Cro Moly Steel (finish will be Parkerizing)
  2. 5R rifling
  3. Contour - 4 inch cylinder at 1.20 inch diameter, assumes first inch of cylinder will become barrel tenon. Straight taper to .90 inch diameter at finish length. Finish length to be 21 inches from bolt face.
  4. Twist - 9.5:1 left hand even gain twist to 8.75:1.
  5. Caliber - .30 caliber intended for .308 Winchester chambering.

175 SMKs are the intended projectile.

It will either make me totally happy or bum me out.

Im doing .308.

I was really interested in trying a faster twist wanting a "shorter" barrel and to satisfy curiosity.

I saw this or another thread and a Leprechaun suggested a 3/4 gain.

LRI is likely cutting this Bartlein this week.....
  1. Cro Moly Steel (finish will be Parkerizing)
  2. 5R rifling
  3. Contour - 4 inch cylinder at 1.20 inch diameter, assumes first inch of cylinder will become barrel tenon. Straight taper to .90 inch diameter at finish length. Finish length to be 21 inches from bolt face.
  4. Twist - 9.5:1 left hand even gain twist to 8.75:1.
  5. Caliber - .30 caliber intended for .308 Winchester chambering.

175 SMKs are the intended projectile.

It will either make me totally happy or bum me out.

That's definitely fast for that projectile. Will be interesting to see how you do with it.

That's definitely fast for that projectile. Will be interesting to see how you do with it.

Heard a rumor some gov types were using short barrel fast twist .308 and liking it.

This whole deal is going to be a departure from my typical rifles which tend to be clones....

Soup sandwich or filet mignon..........Ill find out.

Reactions: lash
Wayne

Hi,

Like they have been doing for over 10 years...

Gain-Twist, Cut-Rifled Barrels Shine in Short-Range Benchrest « Daily Bulletin (accurateshooter.com)

I have 20 LHGT all with 7 twist exits coming for various cartridges from 6.5CM to 338LM.

Sincerely,
Theis

Heard a rumor some gov types were using short barrel fast twist .308 and liking it.

This whole deal is going to be a departure from my typical rifles which tend to be clones....

Soup sandwich or filet mignon..........Ill find out.

I've always been a believer of "it ain't broke then don't fix it" but leaving the comfort box to try something different to advance progress is the only way we will ever know. Thanks for doing this, looking forward to your results.

I've always been a believer of "it ain't broke then don't fix it" but leaving the comfort box to try something different to advance progress is the only way we will ever know. Thanks for doing this, looking forward to your results.

Its only a rebarrel if it sucks.
I doubt Ill be the discoverer of the better mousetrap....there is a reason 1:10 keeps popping up.

Its only a rebarrel if it sucks.
I doubt Ill be the discoverer of the better mousetrap....there is a reason 1:10 keeps popping up.

True, which is why I built a fast twist Norma to shoot heavy bullets. I was always hitting 2950-3000 fps with 250 gr factory 338 Lapua ammo almost 20 years ago. Moved on to the 300 gr loads and was tired of getting beat up just to shoot 1000 yards so I sold it. Range close to me opened up a couple years ago to stretch to a mile. Looking at similar case capacities I was hoping to get around 2900 in the Norma when the 250 A-tip came out, so I would be getting better performance than the 300 gr with similar recoil to the 250.

Like you said, it's only a barrel swap if it doesn't work. Just wish I had done the left-hand twist, but I'm sure it won't be my last barrel.

If you go back to Pope, he was doing LH Gain twist barrels before they had machines for barreling, he just did it by hand.

His competition record stood for 47 years with one,

The whole, it ain't broke don't fix it happened because at the time Machines were built they only turned one direction. They used a gear system so we have a Right Hand twist in everything because of manufacturing, not because it was right or better, only because screws turn that way.

today with computers and modern advancements in machining they can go in both directions equally well, hence we are seeing the mechanical fix for things like SD and CE

If everything in the Northern Hemisphere turns to the right, why not have the barrel go left to counter it, instead of adding, 1 + 1 + 2, why not go 1+1-2, before then a lot of barrels when Left, look up the Lee Enfield, probably the most popular.

If you go back to Pope, he was doing LH Gain twist barrels before they had machines for barreling, he just did it by hand.

His competition record stood for 47 years with one,

The whole, it ain't broke don't fix it happened because at the time Machines were built they only turned one direction. They used a gear system so we have a Right Hand twist in everything because of manufacturing, not because it was right or better, only because screws turn that way.

today with computers and modern advancements in machining they can go in both directions equally well, hence we are seeing the mechanical fix for things like SD and CE

If everything in the Northern Hemisphere turns to the right, why not have the barrel go left to counter it, instead of adding, 1 + 1 + 2, why not go 1+1-2, before then a lot of barrels when Left, look up the Lee Enfield, probably the most popular.

I believe it counteracts Coriolis does it not?

It uses the left SD to counter the right CE / Eotvos

In the Northern Hemisphere, it works which is why many European rifles were left twist.

You can mechanically cancel it out to a very small amount. It makes more sense, we have CE going Right, we have SD going right in most barrels, so why not put the two against each other. this is an old concept, not a new one.

The left hand also put the recoil at the back of the rifle inward instead of out. You can feel it in alternate positions it recoils in a straighter line toward you vs trying to get away. Plus most Right-Hand Shooters push right, in fact they make 99% of their errors towards the right, so having an element left works.

In the Northern Hemisphere, it works which is why many European rifles were left twist.

You can mechanically cancel it out to a very small amount. It makes more sense, we have CE going Right, we have SD going right in most barrels, so why not put the two against each other. this is an old concept, not a new one.

The left hand also put the recoil at the back of the rifle inward instead of out. You can feel it in alternate positions it recoils in a straighter line toward you vs trying to get away. Plus most Right-Hand Shooters push right, in fact they make 99% of their errors towards the right, so having an element left works.

Almost pulled the trigger on an 8.25-9 LHT for this build but got cold feet after a similar 300 PRC build did not shoot well for me with any factory ammo and instead of giving it a chance with handloads, I had already made up mind to do a Norma and sold it off.

Left-hand twist for sure next time.

My abilities make CE/SD the least of my problems.......

But in the near future, for those rare moments when I get everything right, it will be nice to know the rifle has "built in" advantage in my favor.

@lowlight when you shoot LH twist barrels to you favor the impact of your zero slightly right?

No center on my LH GT barrels, no offset

with my RH Barrels, I zero .1 left of center,

The reality is CE and SD is beyond most people's ability to do it right, I contend it's about 1.25% of elevation, most software is giving you 2% -3% of elevation as a flat rate, so nobody is doing it as accurately as they claim.

The point with a LH GT barrel, ignore it, completely ignore it

Reactions: pmclaine
I listened to Frank several years back when he said , I think, it was a 6.5 LH gain twist. I went to a 1-10 LH twist on a .308 and have not gone back. All of my barrels have been LH. Thanks Frank if you hadn't posted that video I would never had tried it. Bottom line try it if you don't like it change it again until you get what you want.

I just got off the phone with a company that tested this, settled on LH GT, and will go into production

They checked several claims and all were positive results, I will have them on the podcast next week

Reactions: MarinePMI
I just got off the phone with a company that tested this, settled on LH GT, and will go into production

They checked several claims and all were positive results, I will have them on the podcast next week

Hi,

Same here....going strictly LH GT on all production rifles. Offering 2 options..1 for jacketed and 1 for monos.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Same here....going strictly LH GT on all production rifles. Offering 2 options..1 for jacketed and 1 for monos.

Sincerely,
Theis
What is the difference in gain between the 2 barrels?

Hi,

Monos will be a significantly faster twist rate...such as 7 for pretty much everything.

Sincerely,
Theis

Right but I've been advised to stay at no more than 3/4" gain on jacketed bullets, was wondering if you could get more aggressive with a solid due to alloy used.

What would be a good GT for a .308? Going to order a LH GT bartlein tomorrow. Don't plan on shooting anything bigger than a 200gr at most, primarily will shoot the 175grs.

What would be a good GT for a .308? Going to order a LH GT bartlein tomorrow. Don't plan on shooting anything bigger than a 200gr at most, primarily will shoot the 175grs.

Hoping the collective answer is "Post 211"......

Responses that followed said that is fast for those projectiles. I was thinking like a 10.5 to 10.

Call Bartlein and they will steer you in the right direction. I would be thinking maybe 9.75-10.5 if you're going to be shooting up to 200 grs and moving on the slower side.

I have to call to order so I planned on asking for their recommendations.

Responses that followed said that is fast for those projectiles. I was thinking like a 10.5 to 10.

10 is vanilla ice cream........everything loves it.

If you are looking to test why not 10 to 9.25?

11.25 and 10 are known animals. You have split the difference.

My test is to see if making the spiral a little faster equates to a bit better tracking.

Im just basing it off of 1/7 .224 and running "heavies" of 77 and higher.

I recognize the lazer effect in the little bullets and hope to see if similar will happen in .308.

Edit/Add - talking to Bartlein will be good advice. Im guessing anything we think of they have tried.

This entire discussion is mainly about how folks (re)break old ground (Pope, for instance). The new means of CAD and CAM enable precise execution of concepts that have been around for longer than I have, and that's a pretty long time.

There is no "bad" in this.

It's like that old commercial about when XYZ talks, everybody listens. Insert LL for XYZ, and that's as it should be. IMHO, Frank and some forward thinking high tech barrel makers have gotten onto the same wavelength, and we are seeing the early public stages of the proofs. The important-est part about LL's participation in all of this is that his voice reaches a long way, and that's essential to this project's success.

The improvement, to be successful in the marketing stage, must be accessible to all. It needs to be something that the more average shooters will be able to see a clear improvement from. If it requires shaking chicken feet over the barrel, or high incantations in a dead language; OR, costs a big chunk of the farm to own, the tea cools and we see a lukewarm reception, no matter how well it works for those with the proper means (whatever they may be).

Me, I can't honestly wrap my fading mind around the hows and whys. That's really immaterial as long as it works anyway.

I look forward to more info, worded simply for my fading mind, as this project progresses through the more economic stages.

Good fortune. Keep this ball rolling, whatever the cost.

Greg

Last edited:
Placed my order and went with what they recommended.
1608055546333.png

Reactions: pmclaine
That's more conservative for a short-barrel .308 for 200 gr projectiles than I would have wanted, but they know more than me.

I said heaviest would be 185gr, maybe 200 but probably not. Haven't decided on a finish length yet either.

My Bartlein LHGT is barreled as of LRI Tracker received today.......

1608057526017.png

They test fired it.

I should ask if the bullet went where expected.....

To me it's weird with a 308, it's so forgiving, I never had an issue with weights and twists, you can shoot a 168, 175 out of a 12, you can shoot both out of a 10, you can do almost anything with it from 12 to 10 without any real issue, so I don't really chase 308 Gain rates, in fact, I like the 10 and 185s a lot so that window is actually quite wider.

My best guess I would say, would be a couple different variants,

10 to 9 would probably be the best bet just lamenting over it, this would work with most stuff.

the more I think about it, 10 to 8 should work, if we have a window of 12 to 10, then in my mind 10 to 8 would be okay

The current thinking is 3/4 gain, but 1.0 is not that aggressive, it should work fine for most rifles.

To me it's weird with a 308, it's so forgiving, I never had an issue with weights and twists, you can shoot a 168, 175 out of a 12, you can shoot both out of a 10, you can do almost anything with it from 12 to 10 without any real issue, so I don't really chase 308 Gain rates, in fact, I like the 10 and 185s a lot so that window is actually quite wider.

My best guess I would say, would be a couple different variants,

10 to 9 would probably be the best bet just lamenting over it, this would work with most stuff.

the more I think about it, 10 to 8 should work, if we have a window of 12 to 10, then in my mind 10 to 8 would be okay

The current thinking is 3/4 gain, but 1.0 is not that aggressive, it should work fine for most rifles.

Whew!

Glad to hear it.

I can see the X's now.......

I plan on rebarreling my .22-250 next year with a LHGT carbon fiber wrapped barrel from Bartlein. I need to call them to figure out what gain twist they recommend for what I want to shoot. This is my varmint gun.

I have a 22 inch 11.5 to 11 twist bartlein 5r that shoots 208 eldm's with no issues.
Good to know. Being mindful of the military standard of 11.25 for a 175 Sierra, I guess there must be considerable difference between optimal vs acceptable twist rates.

What is your elevation? I'm restricted to damn near sea level so I always need to be cautious about it.