• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft GAP Camo for a M1a stock, pics included

Re: GAP Camo for a M1a stock, pics included

Thanks for the detailed write up - I used it on my Rem7005r. I have always liked the Gap camo and this thread inspired me to finally get it done. Not quite as good a job as yours but ill post some pics later...

Update.....

camo job was done in august, 2008 and round count since then is approx. 1500. Stock and cheekpiece paint job has held up very well. Only noticable wear is a few chips around the mag well. Based on this, the poly. final coat is definitely worth the time and effort IF you are satisfyed with your work and don't plan on changing. i have done other stocks without the poly, and there is no comparison to the durability.

i had to redo the barrel paint about 6 months ago, and no problems with that to date....this time I just tried to be a little more careful with the bore chemicals.

Very nice job and I think it's about time I try it too. I was thinking of going with the dersert camo. Should I still start with the light color (tan) and finish with the darker colors? Or should I finish with tan because it'll be on the majority of the stock?

im with you outlaw, im going to do this whole process in reverse to give it more of a desert look

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice job and I think it's about time I try it too. I was thinking of going with the dersert camo. Should I still start with the light color (tan) and finish with the darker colors? Or should I finish with tan because it'll be on the majority of the stock? </div></div>

If you guys do the desert camo, chime back in with pics and colors!

I don't know if I could get the nerve up to attempt this, but yours look great and giving me some hope.

i love the twins that is bad ass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if I could get the nerve up to attempt this, but yours look great and giving me some hope. </div></div>

You and me both....Think I may practice this on a cheap SPS stock and see how she turns out.

I also did this to my M1a, the actual colors I used are a bit different than yours, but it works/looks great.

Here's a pic with the first two colors laid down
342304436_p5X2D-L.jpg

And with the black added in.. as you can see the colors work pretty well in my area (especially my backyard ;-) )
332602992_N26vh-L.jpg

332297981_ucStF-L.jpg

and one last pic with most of the accessories installed, at the time of these pics I was still waiting on my adjustable cheek rest..

334807255_88mJw-L.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: speedracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">excellent tutorial and an even better end result. when camo time comes I'm defiantly going to refer back to this thread, thanks man! </div></div>

x2

Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks for the tutorial. I've always been super-nervous to paint one of my rifles (or scopes), but I decided to give it a go with just the stock. My first time painting, here is the result:

IMG_3184-1280.jpg

IMG_3186-1280.jpg

Nice looking stock. What colors you running jtb33?

Thanks. I'm pleased with my first attempt.

The pictures came out a bit dull, but they are the same that the OP used, so they are a bit more vibrant in-person: Krylon Flat OD, Krylon Flat Black and Krylon Flat Tan. I used Krylon Matte finish on top of it all.

OK the OD looks a little more gray hence the reason I asked. Thanks

Excellent write up, absolutely excellent. I will certainly attempt this on my old 700p.

Going to start this process tomorrow on a Remington 700 SPS Tac 308 with McMillan HTG M40A1 stock in black.

Big thanks to Bugman for the tutorial and answering my questions on the process. I think I have a pretty good idea of what needs to happen now. Ive also cut out probably 5x the blue tape stencils that Ill need. Hopefully this all works out.

Just completed my Remington 700 308 SPS Tactical Build using the paint tutorial in this thread. Thanks a lot Bugman, the minwax wouldve never crossed my mind and I think its the key to a krylon paint job.

Started life as a new, out of the box SPS Tac. From there, not much stayed the same.
McMillan M40a1/HTG Stock - bought black, krylon and minwax (this stuff is perfect for clearing a krylon job, tough and not shiny) paint job.
SPS Tactical barrel threaded and a QC Brake installed
Timney 510 Trigger
SWFA SS 10x42 Scope
Burris XTR Rings, low
EGW HD Picatinny Rail
Badger Ordnance Bolt Knob
Harris Bipod
Pacific Tool and Gauge Tactical Bottom Metal w/ mag extender

And just for cosmetics I used testors OD green to paint the rollmarks.

Overall, Im more than pleased. I actually bought the stock black so I could paint it. I wanted to do what I could on this build. BIG thanks for Mr Geraci for installing the brake and bolt knob.

As far as the paint, the minwax poly clear was the best thing about the build. You can tell its a tough coat. On to the pics.

7002.jpg

7001.jpg

700.png

Re: GAP Camo for a M1a stock, pics.... *UPDATED*

*UPDATE*

Over the last few months, several members have PM'ed me asking about a update on how the krylon and polyurethane have held up. So, attached are two pics showing the M1a at 4.5 years after the camo job.

You can see that the camo job has held up very well. There are a few scratches, mostly from feeding magazines. I am convinced that the two or three poly finish coats are a needed final step. The weapon does not live in a safe, has seen quite a few rounds, and has not been pampered.

About 4 years ago I had to re-do the barrel only because the Rustoleum High Heat had started to peel. Since then, I have had no problems. I believe the extra time and care I took to completely de-grease the stainless NM barrel the second time was the difference in how well the barrel camo has held up.

For sure, none of what I did can compare to a molded-in camo synthetic stock or cerakote on the metal...but for 125 bucks, I got a longer lasting result than I expected.

The second pic shows a bipod stud I installed about 3.5 years ago. This is a Sadlak QD Post Assembly, item # 140050, and I feel is definitely worth the cost. You will need to dremel out a little inside the stock so that the stud assembly clears the gas tube, and you will need to drill the correct size hole for the stud. I used Devcon Steel Expoy to bed and attach the assembly to the forend. Minimal hassle, less than an hour of work, and a rock solid result. Well worth the time and expense, IMO.

Jack

M1a001_zpsa04c967b.jpg

M1a002_zps7d8ec823.jpg

Looks good bugman, I'm going to try on a stock that is on it's whay to me....