• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Foretrex 701 & WeatherFlow?

M8541Reaper

Frozen Sour Patch Kid Cult Leader
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 23, 2011
    AZ
    I didn’t want to resurrect the 2019 or so thread where this was last asked….

Does anyone know if the 701 can now link/pair with the WeatherFlow meter?

I know as soon as I buy this, they’ll drop a new model that does it all and syncs with every sensor and LRF.*

*I’m referencing my shitty luck. I have no knowledge of upcoming products.

Last edited:
    The mentions of it I've seen were using the WeatherFlow with a phone.

Perhaps @Garmin has more up to date info.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    The mentions of it I've seen were using the WeatherFlow with a phone.

Perhaps @Garmin has more up to date info.
    I think that’s if you want to manually input the info from the phone. I hope they made that FW update over the years so it can directly connect and you can ditch the phone.

Given they didn't even reply when @'d guessing the answer is it doesn't.

@Garmin yo…. I’m thinking of buying yet another very expensive toy from you that I dont really need (but I claim I do) and my wife will hopefully not find out about…. Does the damn thing link to a weather sensor? Thanks!

The Foretrex 701 does not link to the WeatherFlow meter.

All good! Anything on the horizon that will connect to any wind meter? Kestrels display and UI sucks. So if y’all had a PDA style watch that connected via Bt to a simple weather meter with all the other bells and whistles Garmins come with…. We’ll sir or ma’am, you’d have an absolute winner in my book! And I’m sure many others here!

Do we know if there's likely to be an update/advance on the 701 any time soon?

Seems like Hide members report limitations in connecting to weather meters, issues with connecting to RF binos, and clunky interface, but @Garmin posted here not long ago something along the lines that "the 701 isn't going anywhere soon" ...

Reactions: category_theory
    Do we know if there's likely to be an update/advance on the 701 any time soon?

Seems like Hide members report limitations in connecting to weather meters, issues with connecting to RF binos, and clunky interface, but @Garmin posted here not long ago something along the lines that "the 701 isn't going anywhere soon" ...
    There is no plan to add weather meter support to the Foretrex 701.

There is no plan to add weather meter support to the Foretrex 701.
    I’m just gonna put this out there and I’ll repeat often……if Garmin, or any other manufacturers, are going to make devices with onboard ballistics and you want them to be a viable product you best allow them to integrate with weather meters (kestrel, weather flow, whatever). You are missing a massive opportunity and don’t really understand your user base if you don’t do this. It is too cumbersome to manually input winds in these devices. A quick sync with a kestrel and bam! I’ve got all I need. Temp. Humidity. Winds. And I can update it as often as I want cause it’s…….wait for it…..fast and automatic.

allow them to integrate with weather meters (kestrel, weather flow, whatever).
    Starting with v9.33 of the Tactix 7 software, released today, the Tactix will now integrate with any of the Kestrel Ballistics Weather Meters with Applied Ballistics.

When paired you can have all then environmentals from the Kestrel update automatically every 5 minutes or you can pull each one you want with a button press at any time.

Starting with v9.33 of the Tactix 7 software, released today, the Tactix will now integrate with any of the Kestrel Ballistics Weather Meters with Applied Ballistics.

When paired you can have all then environmentals from the Kestrel update automatically every 5 minutes or you can pull each one you want with a button press at any time.
    HELLS YES! AWESOME.

While this is good…. I can’t help but wonder why you wouldn’t do the same for your dedicated ballistics computer…? Unless it’s incapable of being fed data which would surprise me…. The screen, the interface, the functionality etc would make a Kestral and a Foretex almost perfect! Set up the kestrel, strap on the computer and away you go! Better UI, better screen, better data!

You will be competing against the Revic palm computer very shortly! And it’s all in one unit.

What has always eluded me is why anyone hasn’t come out w a simple palm type computer w the ability to do the math and take the wind readings. I had assumed that the Foretrex could pair w a weather meter and dumbfounded when I found it couldn’t! It’s like making a car wo a windshield! Yeah it works but it’s otherwise kinda useless as is.