• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Foretrex 901 and the system

No, it only sends range data from the LRF. DOF and wind cosine are manually entered on the 901's environment screen. When I was in staging areas, I would measure wind with my Kestrel and load a high/low speed and leave it at 3 o'clock. I would just do the math in my head to adjust for DOF. With the time I saved not having to write ranges, etc, I don't feel too rushed doing a quick wind cosine adjustment. I'm sure they can start pulling more data from LRFs in the future with firmware updates.
Thanks thats what i was wondering , i guess ill just hold off on getting one until they get that figured out . Shame as the various wind brackets were the main feature i liked about it.

You can run wind brackets on the 901.
Yes but if it does not take the information from the furys ( inclination and angle of fire ) and compare it to the kestrel ( direction of wind ) then it may be easier to get good results , i would hope ideally it would populate w1 and w2 with max and avg wind speed so you can use that info to make an on the spot call

Yes but if it does not take the information from the furys ( inclination and angle of fire ) and compare it to the kestrel ( direction of wind ) then it may be easier to get good results , i would hope ideally it would populate w1 and w2 with max and avg wind speed so you can use that info to make an on the spot call
It will take Inclination, and DOF from the Fury 5000.

Last edited:
It will take Inclination, just not DOF which is set on the targets themselves.
So how would this work , it would compensate for angle when it auto populates target data but i would need to read the angle reading off the fury display and manually enter it into the target data on the garmin ? And the garmin will already have direction of wind from the kestrel ? Because if thats it it does not sound too bad .

Also i really appreciate you taking the time to talk with me about this :)

So how would this work , it would compensate for angle when it auto populates target data but i would need to read the angle reading off the fury display and manually enter it into the target data on the garmin ? And the garmin will already have direction of wind from the kestrel ? Because if thats it it does not sound too bad .

Also i really appreciate you taking the time to talk with me about this :)
I just went and tested it to make certain. I have misspoke and corrected my other post. The 901 gets the Range, Inclination, and DOF from the Fury 5000 when paired.

I just went and tested it to make certain. I have misspoke and corrected my other post. The 901 gets the Range, Inclination, and DOF from the Fury 5000 when paired.
This is fantastic , so post pairing with a fury and a kestrel really no manual inputs besides changing target is required ? The only change is which device the solver is being processed on ?