• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Xero C1 Pro chronograph

IMG_0864.jpeg

These are my numbers using the LR microphone.

So the only way to know which is closer to reality is to shoot long range using Litz bc curves and measure results on paper, or a convenient sand bank. The LR might have been wrong since the beginning, but without another device to compare, no way to know.
2933 was money on AB (Kestrel). It was on 100-990 without having to tweak the MV and BC.

This thing is so handy. I’m just going to take it with me to every range trip now. And I’m really looking forward to rifle load development while shooting for groups and velocity at the same time.

Also, Underwood 68gr +P 9mm is extra spicy out of an SP5. Sadly I don’t think the bullet design can take advantage of the extra velocity.

32A6B78D-B080-44B9-9E01-F5A42548F546.jpeg

This thing is so handy. I’m just going to take it with me to every range trip now. And I’m really looking forward to rifle load development while shooting for groups and velocity at the same time.

Also, Underwood 68gr +P 9mm is extra spicy out of an SP5. Sadly I don’t think the bullet design can take advantage of the extra velocity.

View attachment 8259152

That is a major benefit to me. Getting velocity and groups for load development at the same time. That cuts down component usage for load development by half. No more Magnetospeed to get velocity only.

Anyone rapid fired with it yet? Not much utility but since most of us are just mentally batin’ out here figured I’d ask.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
Surely someone has run a LR against Litz's equipment

LR's 2928fps would have gotten you w/in ~1" of the Garmin's 2933fps @ 1000yds, no?
Litz’s did and reported it in his recent book. He showed in a test that two LRs tested were very close to his Oehler 35P, which they had lower error than the Magnetospeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldloser and R_A_W
I don't think there's much point in testing LR vs Xero unless they are just done at the same time and 30 shots fired and each one's recording of the same 30 shots are compared. There's too much variation in the ammo to tell anything with small sample strings.

I appreciate anyone testing and bringing info, I really do. That's my favorite thing to read on here. It would be cool to see the same 30 shots recorded by both and then look at what the ES and SD is. I bet it's going to be extremely close.

When I get a chance I will test the placement of the xero and how that effects the fps reading, while I shoot and do it with 20 shot strings for each distance from the muzzle and see but someone here will probably beat me to it.

Reactions: Wall_Element
Spent the morning with the new Garmin at the range - BEST piece of kit that I have purchased in many years. Garmin hit a home run with this hardware and the App. It never missed a shot - suppressed or not - mounted to the gun on placed on the ground next to the shooter. Fantastic.

I don't think there's much point in testing LR vs Xero unless they are just done at the same time and 30 shots fired and each one's recording of the same 30 shots are compared. There's too much variation in the ammo to tell anything with small sample strings.

I appreciate anyone testing and bringing info, I really do. That's my favorite thing to read on here. It would be cool to see the same 30 shots recorded by both and then look at what the ES and SD is. I bet it's going to be extremely close.

When I get a chance I will test the placement of the xero and how that effects the fps reading, while I shoot and do it with 20 shot strings for each distance from the muzzle and see but someone here will probably beat me to it.

There is a youtube video of the Xero moving in the x and y axis, with a page linked with the data to boot.

Video:

Data:
https://research.baso.dk/python/garmin_xero_c1_placement.html

And it's great and I appreciate the effort and data, but much like you raised on the LR to Xero comparisons, it's of limited value.

Ideally, we'd have testing of multiple Xeros on the exact same shot, with Xeros positioned at extremes - right by the muzzle, as well as very far away from the muzzle, as well as right in the Garmin defined sweet spot. Having that for strings of shots, would show if there is meaningful difference on placements with the Xero, etc.

Not to mention, the results would benefit from X, Y, and Z axis placements. We may find out, listen to garmin dummy and we should be 5-15 from the muzzle in both x and y. That would mean our botique and nodal slide mounts need a little work? Or we may find there is no difference as long as it's a few from the muzzle in x axis?

Anyway, I am interested for sure. I am not going to buy a second or a third xero to do so right now, but would participate in such testing if I had a group with them where we could test them.

There is a youtube video of the Xero moving in the x and y axis, with a page linked with the data to boot.

Video:

Data:

And it's great and I appreciate the effort and data, but much like you raised on the LR to Xero comparisons, it's of limited value.

Ideally, we'd have testing of multiple Xeros on the exact same shot, with Xeros positioned at extremes - right by the muzzle, as well as very far away from the muzzle, as well as right in the Garmin defined sweet spot. Having that for strings of shots, would show if there is meaningful difference on placements with the Xero, etc.

Not to mention, the results would benefit from X, Y, and Z axis placements. We may find out, listen to garmin dummy and we should be 5-15 from the muzzle in both x and y. That would mean our botique and nodal slide mounts need a little work? Or we may find there is no difference as long as it's a few from the muzzle in x axis?

Anyway, I am interested for sure. I am not going to buy a second or a third xero to do so right now, but would participate in such testing if I had a group with them where we could test them.

The link says they do a Welch’s T-Test for a bazillion pairwise comparisons…. They should leave statistics to those with statistic degrees. And to boot it’s a n = 5 per group lol. You can’t do that many pairwise comparisons with n = 5. N probably needs to be 50+ (I don’t feel like opening my stats software right now).

Video:

Data:

Thanks. TLDR: one meter right or left of rifle and in and it will pick up thr shot and record it. Don't know about how far behind the rifle it will accurately pick up the shots yet, but probably a good idea to stay close to the window Garmin tells us to.

Thanks. TLDR: one meter right or left of rifle and in and it will pick up thr shot and record it. Don't know about how far behind the rifle it will accurately pick up the shots yet, but probably a good idea to stay close to the window Garmin tells us to.
Probably best!

Would mean none of the rifle attached setups are good to go if that causes a meaningful variance though.

Probably best!

Would mean none of the rifle attached setups are good to go if that causes a meaningful variance though.
I think most of the rifle attached set ups would fall into Garmins window from the muzzle though right?

I assume there is some level of accuracy that is effected by going outside of that window or else, the window would be bigger. There's probably also another window that provides accurate pick ups to a very high degree thats larger than the one they give (5" - 15" from muzzle), but may give a degree of variation that Garmin thought was too much.

How big that window is and how much accuracy is given up is the question. In all reality I probably won't ever even want to put mine outside of that window but it would be nice to be able to set it up on a tripod behind me and then shoot within that 6 foot x/y axis and be able to shoot in different positions, all while picking all shots up. That's definitely not my main purpose for the unit though

I think most of the rifle attached set ups would fall into Garmins window from the muzzle though right?

I would have to say 'NO'. Reading it it seems you need to be 5-15 from the barrel, then 5-15 from the muzzle as well. I have yet to see one that is anywhere near 5" from barrel.

Now, what if you raise it up, say 2" ABOVE the barrel, then 3" from the barrel... will this cumulative amount put it in a workable window?

1698532731026.png

In any event, if it's CONSISTENT for a given placement, and YOU are consistent in that placement, you can still build DOPE etc from that.

But it's best you get consistent data regardless of where you place it, and if that requires you put it in that window, then that's what I would do. If I can get a away with a on firearm mount with negligible difference, I may do so. But I have no idea if that's the case. If I find out my mount on the firearm introduces 5 fps +/-, or worse, fluxuating results compared to a proper Garmin Window setup, then I have to rethink how I deploy the Xero.

Reactions: Modoc
I would have to say 'NO'. Reading it it seems you need to be 5-15 from the barrel, then 5-15 from the muzzle as well. I have yet to see one that is anywhere near 5" from barrel.

Now, what if you raise it up, say 2" ABOVE the barrel, then 3" from the barrel... will this cumulative amount put it in a workable window?

View attachment 8259374

In any event, if it's CONSISTENT for a given placement, and YOU are consistent in that placement, you can still build DOPE etc from that.

But it's best you get consistent data regardless of where you place it, and if that requires you put it in that window, then that's what I would do. If I can get a away with a on firearm mount with negligible difference, I may do so. But I have no idea if that's the case.
The EE who helped design and build the Xero talks about this on the Shooter's Mind podcast. They started this Chrono build around/or before covid.

The basic breakdown I learned: it doesn't matter. And the unit is capable of being rifle mounted (they shot it consistently on ELR rigs. In fact, the designer shoots it on his 375 all the time.) and giving correct measurements within 10 degrees.

If someone misses the target, it sure isn't because your Xero vs LR had a 5-10 fps difference...😆😆
1) You shut your whore mouth. Every issue with my shooting is due to technical errors of equipment out of my control and/or the position of the moon.

2) True, but I do want to understand how to get THE most consistent data from it and make it a standard for all the ballistic solvers, DOPE tables, etc that I have and while 10 fps isn't going to stop me from hitting a target on the range at at 300+++ yds with 22lr, it may very prevent my solves from getting 1st round hits.

EDIT: Nice, I am going to look up that podcast, that's awesome insight.

PodCast referenced:
https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/theshootersmindset/episodes/The-Shooters-Mindset-Episode-422-Greg-Glass--Francis-Colon-Garmin-Xero-C1-Chronograph-live-QA-e2b2msf/a-aahbsp4

Last edited:

View attachment 8259374

But it's best you get consistent data regardless of where you place it, and if that requires you put it in that window, then that's what I would do. If I can get a away with a on firearm mount with negligible difference, I may do so. But I have no idea if that's the case. If I find out my mount on the firearm introduces 5 fps +/-, or worse, fluxuating results compared to a proper Garmin Window setup, then I have to rethink how I deploy the Xero.
Yeah I didn't realize they recommended it be 5"-15" left or right of the barrel as well. Seems to work pretty well closer to the barrel though from what others who've shot it a lot on a weapon mount have said. The front to back placement is what I was referring to. I could mount mine now but there's really no reason for me to yet so I will very likely stick to having it off the rifle anyway, but I'm sure I will test it front to back placement and see how it goes while shooting just to see.

Anyone rapid fired with it yet? Not much utility but since most of us are just mentally batin’ out here figured I’d ask.
I accidentally fired too quickly and realized I missed a couple readings. Just wait until it shows the previous shot’s velocity before the next shot.

View attachment 8259374

But it's best you get consistent data regardless of where you place it, and if that requires you put it in that window, then that's what I would do. If I can get an away with a on firearm mount with negligible difference, I may do so. But I have no idea if that's the case. If I find out my mount on the firearm introduces 5 fps +/-, or worse, fluxuating results compared to a proper Garmin Window setup, then I have to rethink how I deploy the Xero.
Considering you shoot directly above it with pistols, I’m guessing that having it a little above a rifle is fine. I think they’re just trying to keep the unit away from muzzle brake blast on rifles.

Mine actually picked up a pistol shot from the bay next to me. The bays were very narrow, so I doubt most would have issues picking up someone else’s shots. BUT, I think it shows how wide the area is where the Xero can be positioned. The velocity I got from the guy’s shot was plausibly correct for what he was shooting.

Played around with the Garmin at the range today. Wanted to see how it'd do compared to my LabRadar, how it'd do with pistol, lever action, etc. Overall, extremely impressed. It didn't miss a shot all day, and didn't pick up any shots from neighboring shooters either. Way easier to aim than the LabRadar, basically just point it somewhere down range and it'll pick up your shots. Towards the end I was just walking down the firing line and holding it in my hand next to people's rifles, and it was picking up their shots. Pretty remarkable.

We compared the Garmin side by side with 3 different labradars, a magneto speed, and a bullet seeker. Pretty much every shot, the Garmin was within 5 FPS of the other device. It was pretty reliably 5 FPS different every time, none of the devices were an exact match. Didn't bother comparing averages or ES/SD as I was mostly just messing around.

One of the labradars seemed to be affected by the Garmin though. It would not pick up shots when the Garmin was armed. Disarmed the Garmin and the LabRadar would start picking up shots again. Re-arm the Garmin and the LR woukd stop again. Tried 4 different frequencies on that LR and oddly enough it eventually started working just fine back on its original frequency. Was pretty odd. The other two LRs were fine. The Garmin worked fine regardless of the LR, so it was a one-way street.

Pistol and lever action (pistol caliber) were no problem at all. I started out with the chrono on a bench about ~20" or so below the pistol shooting straight over it, no problem. Then moved side to side couple feet, fired to the left side of the bay and to the right.. it picked up every shot just fine. You do have to wait for it to register the shot, so 1 round per 1-2 seconds is about as fast as you can go. But if you just mag dump over the top of it, it'll still pick up shots when it resets between readings. Oh and it had no problem picking up rimfire either.

Nothing scientific or statistically significant here, but I thought some people may be interested anyway and thought I'd share.

Last edited:
Considering you shoot directly above it with pistols, I’m guessing that having it a little above a rifle is fine. I think they’re just trying to keep the unit away from muzzle brake blast on rifles.

Mine actually picked up a pistol shot from the bay next to me. The bays were very narrow, so I doubt most would have issues picking up someone else’s shots. BUT, I think it shows how wide the area is where the Xero can be positioned. The velocity I got from the guy’s shot was plausibly correct for what he was shooting.
Interedasting. I haven't put it in pistol mode yet. You're correct. Maybe it just is to protect the unit?

I hope that's the case.

The youtube video earlier on placement shows it picked up shots out to about 1 meter.

1698534310985.png

Mounted on a diving board off the scope you’re about 5” above the bore.

Has anyone tried the Garmin with Black Powder loads? I know that the smoke plays games with the Ohler

View attachment 8259131
These are my numbers using the LR microphone.
So doing this today shooting 300PRC and using the microphone on the LR, my biggest Delta on any given shot (over 15 shots) was about 6fps. Very close, consistent performance. I also ran it against a 338 using a LR/recoil trigger (17 shots) and got similar results. My previous testing that yielded larger Deltas using a LR/recoil trigger was with a 6.5CM. So now I have a new theory that the heavier recoil from the 338 makes the recoil trigger more consistent than the lighter recoil of the 6.5. I don't know, just guessing. But I had some Deltas in the 19-21 range when shooting it against the 6.5 with LR/recoil trigger, but nothing over 6 with the 338/recoil trigger LR, or the microphone-triggered LR 300PRC.

So doing this today shooting 300PRC and using the microphone on the LR, my biggest Delta on any given shot (over 15 shots) was about 6fps. Very close, consistent performance. I also ran it against a 338 using a LR/recoil trigger (17 shots) and got similar results. My previous testing that yielded larger Deltas using a LR/recoil trigger was with a 6.5CM. So now I have a new theory that the heavier recoil from the 338 makes the recoil trigger more consistent than the lighter recoil of the 6.5. I don't know, just guessing. But I had some Deltas in the 19-21 range when shooting it against the 6.5 with LR/recoil trigger, but nothing over 6 with the 338/recoil trigger LR, or the microphone-triggered LR 300PRC.
It’s safe to say at this point that the Xero is accurate enough for a majority of the users to load develop with.

I picked up a manfrotto pixi evo 2 to use with mine.

It's not quite as small or light as the Garmin tripod but it's still very compact, and with the legs fully extended in the wide position it's far more stable and less likely to tip over than the little Garmin tripod. Has a built in ball head too for aiming on uneven surfaces.

Amazon just recently jacked the price back up, as I paid $35 just a few days ago.

View attachment 8257775

Would you mind posting some measurements, specifically with the legs completely collapsed and the ball head turned 90* to the side? I want to see if it’ll fit in the case I ordered for everything. Thank you.

Would you mind posting some measurements, specifically with the legs completely collapsed and the ball head turned 90* to the side? I want to see if it’ll fit in the case I ordered for everything. Thank you.

It's about 8.1" with the legs collapsed and the ball head turned to the side. I have everything in a pelican 1150 which is 8.29" inside and it fits with a little room to spare.

I wish it was a little bit shorter with the legs fully collapsed so I could have fit it in a smaller case, but I'll live with it to have a more stable tripod.

Reactions: Jnull
It's about 8.1" with the legs collapsed and the ball head turned to the side. I have everything in a pelican 1150 which is 8.29" inside and it fits with a little room to spare.

I wish it was a little bit shorter with the legs fully collapsed so I could have fit it in a smaller case, but I'll live with it to have a more stable tripod.

Thanks. I ordered the evergreen 56 that was listed a few pages ago, it says 8.4” internally so it should be alright. I’m hoping I can fit the garmin, better tripod and my kestrel in the same case.

Thanks. I ordered the evergreen 56 that was listed a few pages ago, it says 8.4” internally so it should be alright. I’m hoping I can fit the garmin, better tripod and my kestrel in the same case.
I have an Evergreen 56 and a Leofoto MT-02C mini tripod with an LH-22 ball head coming in tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it fits.

There’s also this one, 8.34” long when folded up but should fit just fine with the ball head layed over to the side. Multiple leg positions and extendable legs.

Looks like a great piece of kit! Too bad optics planet went oos after my order so I’ll be waiting like many others and couldn’t fulfill my order. O well.

Great info as usual boys. Keep it coming. I look forward to getting one at some point to test.