• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

gasser to 1000

POPETHE5TH

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
Frisco, TX
Hey guys, I want to pick your brains on a SASS project I am trying to put together. I want to shoot to 1000 yds accurately, this will be a competition rifle used to hunt. I want to take some sniper/counter sniper courses at TAC PRO with it. I have gotten into the 3 gun competitions recently and id like some sniper competitions on my resume.

I want a large caliber .308 is ok but .338 norma or lapua would be better.

long barrel 20+"

semi auto, with a good platform to add a can on too.

Ive shot bolt guns, I want a rem 700 but not right now. I am ex military, and possibly looking into going into private sector.

id like to keep it under $5000 before a can and optics.

any suggestions

Re: gasser to 1000

I run my GAP-10 .308 with a 22" barrel out to 1250 yards accurately.

I dont think 6.5 will take down big game though. I will prob end up going with .308 but I was hoping for something with a bit more reach out and touch ya power.

Your options for a 338 lapua semi auto are pretty limited.

How accurate are you thinking to 1k?

I've run my M21 out that far, with repeatable results. I'm not saying I can shoot 8 inch groups that far, but I could probably keep it pretty close to 1.5 or 2 MOA.

I am open to other calibers, specially 338 norma. I am ok with .308 but it needs to be a tack driver. I want it lethally accurate at 1000 3-4" groups.

only long range has a very tempting bad news .338 SASS right at the $5k mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I want it lethally accurate at 1000 3-4" groups.
</div></div>

Dream on. It ain't happening. have you even looked to see what the World benchrest rifle record with a shoulder fired weapon is ??

4.2" but records were ment to be broken... just not by me, sorry for my lack of education in this area. lets just say I want to hit the sweet spot on a deer or elk at 1000

I'm sorry but in my opinion, putting a 338 lapua in a semi auto platform is just nonsense. Do you even handload? Stick with the 308, and maybe consider a 7mm08, it has better BC bullets and more energy down range.

As far as platform goes check out the GAP10.

Putting rounds onto an MOA sized target at 1000 yards is very doable using the GAP10 or equal and you don't need a 338 to achieve it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I want it lethally accurate at 1000 3-4" groups.
</div></div>

Dream on. It ain't happening. have you even looked to see what the World benchrest rifle record with a shoulder fired weapon is ?? </div></div>

Roger this...
I'm running a couple semi auto 308's, my best is MOA with the Armalite super sass, @ 1200yds pushing the 175smk's right @ 2660fps... .5MOA tuff really tuff, 3"-4" groups consistently, not happening.

3-4" is going to be pretty dang toug, once maybe...twice even...but 1st round hits and consistent sub 1/2 moa is going to be next to impossible, regardless of caliber.
I'm hoping to take my Ultra SASS to 1200+ and sub MOA by the end of the week. There is a semi 338 Norma coming very soon, I've mentioned it before but I'm not at liberty to discuss it beyond that. Making it a 300 or even 7mm NM would be untouchable by anything in the .308 class case size.

There are several companies out there that guarantee sub-moa with .308 ar platforms and are also well within your price range. I agree with others above, keep your goals high, but be realistic at the same time.

If you really want a 338 lapua in AR configuration, Noreen Bad News (note that this rifle has some questionable reviews) and RND Edge are available now. Cobb Mfg. had one, but was bought out and discontinued by Bushmaster. You may find one used, but they are very rare. NEMO Arms has one under development, as does F&D Defense hopefully both available later this year.

Good luck and hope you find a rifle that you are satisfied with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popethe5th</div><div class="ubbcode-body">........lets just say I want to hit the sweet spot on a deer or elk at 1000 </div></div>

Three words for you:

<span style="font-weight: bold">TIME OF FLIGHT</span>

Research it and ask yourself how long your animal is going to stand rock steady for. You may be the best shooter in the world. If that elk decides to take a step you just turned a kill shot into a day long track.....if you are good enough to find your wounded animal.

Great point by LoneWolfUSMC. Hunting implies ethics that don't come into play in either target shooting or combat. Crop protection or pest control are one thing. Ethical hunting is something else.

thanks runt that def helps, I really appricate all the input everyone has given me. thanks for not tearing me a new ass for being unrealistic.

.308 it is

not to drag this thread on but anyone have anything to say about the Barrett 98B as a bolt gun?

Id love to get an AI AX but $8K for a rifle is a bit too pricey for me, when I can get a Barrett with glass and a pelican case for that price.

thanks again everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popethe5th</div><div class="ubbcode-body">........lets just say I want to hit the sweet spot on a deer or elk at 1000 </div></div>

Three words for you:

<span style="font-weight: bold">TIME OF FLIGHT</span>

Research it and ask yourself how long your animal is going to stand rock steady for. You may be the best shooter in the world. If that elk decides to take a step you just turned a kill shot into a day long track.....if you are good enough to find your wounded animal. </div></div>

I agree with this 100 percent. No need to shoot game past 600 yards for the most part. Only time I would even consider a shot at 1000 is if the animal is laying down, but then you have time to walk up a few hundred yards o get a better shot. Plus the 308 needs more power on an elk at 1k.

If you really wanted you could try prairie dogs at 600 if ou want a challenge.

What do you think about an AIAE? Get viper skins for now if you do not like the thumb hole.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popethe5th</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id love to get an AI AX but $8K for a rifle is a bit too pricey for me, when I can get a Barrett with glass and a pelican case for that price.</div></div>

Look at the AE MkIII.

It's one of the "best buys" in the top end factory rifles.

Everyone is entitled to get what they want but why do you think you need a 338 Lapua?

Most competitions dont let you use 'em.

Theres very few 1000+ yard ranges out there to shoot them...especially around DFW.

Dont get me wrong...i've gotten to shoot a few different 338's and they are cool. But for competition and practical use they are not real useful. Especially if your just starting out in the long range stuff.

If it was me and I really wanted a Semi-Auto to learn on and I had your budget. I would call gap and get a 260 made in the GAP10.

For 5,000 you can get a gun and optics then start looking for ammo and training.

All this started with me wanting a POF .308 to turn into a SASS, then I got greedy the more time I sit and think about it the more money I want to spend on it, and the more research I do the cooler stuff I find. I think ill go back towards the POF prob look into the GAP stuff. I don't want to overspend and then not be able to work a really nice piece of glass, and a suppressor into the package. I would hate to settle on a lesser quality optic because I got greedy with caliber.

I am a man, and first and foremost a car guy so sometimes I think with my dick and try to compensate with the biggest fastest loudest coolest thing I can find. I thank you gents for bringing me back to reality, where bigger is always cooler but not necessarily better.

So are we sticking with the if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all about the Barrett?

Ive never shot either weapon but AI seems to be the elite in the world of long range, id still like some feedback on the Barrett 98B. that AE MKIII is looking like a winner though.

I was hitting pretty well at 1000 in Texas with my POF in .308 shooting M118LR. I"m not a particularly good shot either... I think the target was an 18" gong. And this WAS with Rifles Only winds to contend with...

I have an MK3 and can say it will do almost anything you can ask of it. It is a very heavy SOB though. It's 14 pounds with a 20 inch barrel and folder. It is 17 with the optic, rings, and atlas bipod.

The weight works well for stable shooting, but not for offhand or hiking.

Knock yourself out on this project with whatever you want for paper and steel. For live flesh in a sporting context, have a little respect for your quarry and let your hunting skills come to the forefront; get closer.

RB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popethe5th</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.... anyone have anything to say about the Barrett 98B as a bolt gun?</div></div>

No words needed
cool.gif

464-98bz2.jpg

A friend of mine bought a .50 a few years ago, although bad ass to get behind and crank out 10 rounds hard it only comes out maybe twice a year. We have plenty of room to shoot it but only at certain times when there is no one else in the woods too. He problably spent upwards of 15 grand all total on gun, scope, ammo(even surplus .50 BMG stuff is expensive) and reloading supplies and equipment.

With that being said I still love to blow 200 bucks with it real quick!!!!!!

Oh yeah we spend alot of money on buying cool stuff to explode down range with it too. A small fire and a small butane tank make a nice bang when hit.

BMT thats hillarious, by no means am i looking for a multi purpose rifle, and i am not planning on bugging out. However I laughed my ass off at that video.

id love to have a .50 but id have to drive 2 hours to shoot it, and I do not care to spend 15K on a rifle that i can never shoot.

looks like im getting a 98B