• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Geissele SD-3G vs SD-E

WarriorPoet19

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
PA
www.precisionrifleseries.com
Looking for input from everyone who has used both triggers over a fair amount of time. I love the short reset of the SD3G but am accustomed to a 2 stage in all my platforms. It will be going in a 14.5 carbine designed for CQB and fast target acquisition but still value the precision side for engaging out to 200/300. Please feel free to ask more questions to help better suggest which trigger you think would be the best choice. Thank you so much as always.

I run the SD3G on 4 AR's meant for personal defense, CQB, 2 Gun work. Have 10's of thousands of rounds on them and are my Go To for my AR's that are not specifically for precision work. Dont get me wrong, I can still make hits to 500yds and beyond with boring consistency with it.

I run the SD-E on all my precision AR15's and AR10's. Love this trigger, wouldnt use anything else.

I also have a SD3G in a 14.5 midlength.

It is very fast but I am always wanting to try a SD-C. I enjoy having a hard walk before the shot breaks and the 3G doesn’t haven’t one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one sd-3G, 4 SD-Es, and one National Match. I don't care much about short reset for the way I shoot, so my opinion my not be useful.

I wish they they were all National Match. Best AR trigger for precision shooting I've tried by a wide margin.

They make a new true single stage you may be interested in. I am. It looks like it would be better at doing both than a 3gun trigger.

I have Geissele's in pretty much all my rifles; I bought the one Brownell's sells too, the rapid fire trigger? Got 'em on sale and they're like the 3gun trigger for the most part and would also be a good candidate as well as a cheap one. The only other one I don't know anything about is the cheapest one they make, the cheapest 2 stage Brownell's sells. SSA/E's with light springs would work well (fast and true 2 stage) or the 3gun with a heavier spring. I have one with a lighter spring and it's prone to doubling if you limp wrist it, particularly with a light grip trying to make aimed shots. The SD trigger is even faster. My wife has an SSA type trigger with a lighter spring and a flat bow and it would also do the trick I'd think if you want a true 2 stage. I'd say her setup is probably the best "all around" --it's fast but also a fully functional 2 stage. The reset on the 3 gun is just TOO short for some shooting IMO.

Thank you all so much for the input. I feel as though I may need to get both at some point so I can compare and contrast. I only had the opportunity to send a few rounds a while back through the SDE and it was very nice. I handled the SD3G for a few minutes but only dry fire and really liked the short pull and reset. Shooting both side by side will really tell. For those that have the SD3G already, which spring do you all prefer to use with it ?

I have mine for so long it only came with one spring. I can bump fire it from the shoulder though lol.

I need to get ahold of them and see if they are sending out the other springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my opinion is that the SD3G is great for comp and SBR's. The SD combat or SD enhanced would be the way to go. I just installed a SD-C in a varmint ar and love it, I run the SD3G in my sbr. When i tested the triggers i actually felt that the combat had a better break than the enhanced.

SD-3G is a smushy garbage trigger. Every other trigger Geissele offers is superior.

Bench shooters need not apply.

Sd3g is good if you want to shoot fast. I've yet to own a trigger I can shoot faster with, except maybe the echo trigger
No bench shooters here. All my 3 gun buddies ditched that garbage a couple years ago, but I managed to finger a few before they went the way of the dinosaur and they were awful. What kind of split times are you averaging?

Halloween Sale, Up to 30% off. Brownells website

No bench shooters here. All my 3 gun buddies ditched that garbage a couple years ago, but I managed to finger a few before they went the way of the dinosaur and they were awful. What kind of split times are you averaging?

what triggers are the 3guns guys using? I haven't found a trigger I can shoot faster than the SD3G yet.

Last edited:
what triggers are the 3guns guys using?

Hiperfire is huge, Elftmann, AR Gold is a classic, Timney's are common. Those probably make up 80%+ of the triggers I see at matches. The SD3G was way more common when tuned up polymer pistols were standard equipment. They often had a similar trigger feel as the SD3G. Now that everyone thinks they need a 2011 they want a light zero creep, zero pretravel single stage rifle trigger to match their pistol.

Found a SD3G local and decided to give it a try first. I think ill also end up getting the SDE also for my mk12 so I can see what they are both like. Thank you so much to everyone for your input, I greatly appreciate it.

I have both. I am a tad faster on hoser targets with the sd3g, but you would have to do mult 2-2-2 drills for time, back to back with two rifles setup the same, except for the trigger to notice a difference. I can only best my race gun with sd-e by a few hundredths with the sd3g. so, really the sd-e won't slow you down at all really on a 14.5" cqb rifles. you just roll right through for fast targets, and run the two stage for more precision work. that's my current 3 gun setup now, especially in an area with more "long" range like woodys

I have both. I am a tad faster on hoser targets with the sd3g, but you would have to do mult 2-2-2 drills for time, back to back with two rifles setup the same, except for the trigger to notice a difference. I can only best my race gun with sd-e by a few hundredths with the sd3g. so, really the sd-e won't slow you down at all really on a 14.5" cqb rifles. you just roll right through for fast targets, and run the two stage for more precision work. that's my current 3 gun setup now, especially in an area with more "long" range like woodys

Very true. I think I will end up later on with more SDE triggers for the fact of just being so accustomed to 2 stage triggers in all my precision match guns but i think i will still really enjoy the SD3G

Two very different triggers. The SD-E is more of a traditional two stage. It has a light first stage take up until you hit that "wall" then trigger break. The SD3G feels more like a very short and light DA revolver trigger. Continued build up of pressure on the trigger until the trigger break. No "wall" like a two stage. You have to try it. I have every Geissele you can think of in my various rifle, each for different needs, with the Hi-Speed National Match being my favorite.

For a standard run it 'til it fails gun, I've recently started using Elftmann triggers. I've always preferred single stage triggers and I think their's is one of the best currently available.