• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Giraud or Dillon? Pros/Cons?

AR-10 Shooter

Minuteman
Dec 1, 2004
Virginia
I'm thinking seriously about upgrading to a powered trimer. In your experience what are the pros and cons of the Dillon and the Giraud.

They are both a chunk of change so your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CT

Re: Giraud or Dillon? Pros/Cons?

Buy the Giraud. It trims to length, inside, and outside deburs in one step. The Dillion (if your talking about the one that attaches to your press) only trims for overall length. You will then have to inside and outside debur in separate operations. I once got through 1000 cases on my Giraud in 45 min. I always tell people when buying Dougs tool "you only cry once". It is a lot of money but trust people who have one, you will wonder how you did without one for so long.HTH

Easy....no brainer.....GIRAUD! If you buy the Dillon, you will only spend more money as you will end up with the Giraud later anyhow.

Buy one, buy Doug's work of art.

John

Giraud +1000

Add in the fact that you can trim up to 50 bmg and there is no comparison. It does a beautiful job of trimming and inside and outside deburring. You can make short work of a 5 gallon bucket of brass!

+1 for Giraud. Easy caliber changes (if you buy separate cutters) and the ability to trim meplats.

Just used mine to trim 500 .223 cases tonight (in two hours)

If he would only make a primer pocket reamer.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy....no brainer.....GIRAUD! If you buy the Dillon, you will only spend more money as you will end up with the Giraud later anyhow.

Buy one, buy Doug's work of art.

John
</div></div>

My thougts precisely .

I can't speak to the Dillon. I have owned a Giraud for several years using it on .223, .260, .308, and .338. It works great. I have zero complaints about it. Highly recommended.

I started with the Dillon, primarily for high volume .223 reloading on a Super1050. I set it up once and probably loaded 500 rounds with it. My take away: works OK once set up and adjusted. But, the downside for me was it is too loud. That's the trimmer itself and once you add a vacuum hose, holy shit. It was just too much -- although I'm squirreled away in my basement, it would reverberate throughout the entire house. I sold it.

So, like all the others, I ordered a Giraud (.223, .308, & .260) and have never looked back. It is a quality tool on all levels -- very glad I made the investment many 1000s of rounds ago. The chamfering and trimming produces great results. Oh, how loud is the Giraud? Not bad at all. I typically trim while watching TV w/o cranking the volume.