• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Good Deal?

Shakeber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
Today I bought a scope from someone I know who was upgrading. The scope I bought is a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X40mm Long Range Tactical. It has a 30mm tube with what looks like M1 turrets and a fine duplex reticle. I purchased the scope for 300$. I contacted Leupold concerning my interest in changing out the turrets to M2 or M3 type. They informed me that this scope is the predecessor to the Mark 4 scopes and that the M2 or M3 dials are not a viable option. I can however change them to CDS dials with zero stop (on elevation obviously) with a custom dial for my particular 308 load. Did I overpay for this scope and now it will cost me 150$ more to get what I want or was this a fair price and I should go ahead and spend the extra money for the custom dials. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Good Deal?

Shakeber,

You paid a fair price for the scope. But removing M1 dials to have CDS dials put on is baffling. Exactly what advantages did you hope to glean from CDS dials, that M1 dials cannot deliver?

BobinNC, the only advantage would be the zero stop. The CDS dial would be to dial in a known distance for BDC but I can do that with the knobs that are on it now.

If it had knobs or a reticle design that you didn't want, why did you buy it?

fdkay, I didn't mention having any reservations concerning the reticle. In fact, I really like the fine duplex reticle. As far as the knobs, this will be a hunting scope and had a concern about the high turrets. The scope is in really good shape and when Leupold gives it a clean bill of health, I am sure I will enjoy this scope. And the reason I bought it was because I felt I was helping someone out by buying it so they could afford to upgrade.