• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Google search with new site

JayCarver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Anyone figured out how to use a google search with the site? When I search with google the links just go to the homepage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For the 4th time,

Google has to cycle through, if you look at the links they are different..> The Google results are pointing to the old site, look at the address, it's different.

There is a redirect from snipers hide.com/forum to forum.snipershide.com which is why you end up back at the main page.

Should I sky write this stuff or do we need 4 more posts on the same subject ?

It might be useful to add a rewrite handler to send links from the old system to the current system. e.g. ?ubb=showflat&Number=XXX -> showthread.php?t=XXX, or whatever

If you are used to using google with "blah site:http://forum.snipershide.com" to search the hide this is annoying (explaining why you have had to "sky write" this stuff for everyone), but it probably looks worse for people coming in from the outside (not hide members), just using google to say, find reviews on X scope, and the first 5 search results are from the hide, but they all land you on the forum index. Then you start ignoring all hide search results.

Usually that would happen before rolling out a new site, and maybe you took search engines into consideration and just don't care. Most of them will catch up, eventually...

For the 4th time,

Google has to cycle through, if you look at the links they are different..> The Google results are pointing to the old site, look at the address, it's different.

There is a redirect from snipers hide.com/forum to forum.snipershide.com which is why you end up back at the main page.

Should I sky write this stuff or do we need 4 more posts on the same subject ?

I don't want to be too dense, but is there a workaround currently for this, or do we just have to wait for Google to "cycle through"?

It might be useful to add a rewrite handler to send links from the old system to the current system. e.g. ?ubb=showflat&Number=XXX -> showthread.php?t=XXX, or whatever...

:) ~2.5 million redirects to write by hand? uhh... sorry - not going to happen.

Let's wait for Google to read the new Sitemap XMLS and catch up.

-Michael

:) ~2.5 million redirects to write by hand? uhh... sorry - not going to happen.

No, one simple handler. If the thread numbers do not match (e.g. Nummber=X is t=Y) then presumable you would have saved a mapping when you imported from the old database into the new database. mod_perl and apache are very good at that sort of thing. and 2.5million is nothing in a cache.
Granted, it is something that you would have wanted to prepare before rolling out the new software. If user experience was important. I'm coming from a paid content site point of view though, where 10 minutes with bad google (or any external search) links would have been unacceptable, let alone 3 days, or whatever it is now.
No disrespect, just adding to the conversation. The new site is coming along great, the information shared here is always great. I've been lurking around for 5 years, I'll be around for 5 more.

-xtype

:) I completely understand... I'll just say... it wasn't my company doing the work... it was my company that was brought in to *ahem* clean up afterwards.

-Michael

The google thing is super annoying, but if we have to wait for it to cycle, then so be it. What about links within threads not working? At least ten times, I've been reading a thread that will have a link to another snipershide thread, and that link will just go to the home page.

Will that issue be worked out?

The google thing is super annoying, but if we have to wait for it to cycle, then so be it. What about links within threads not working? At least ten times, I've been reading a thread that will have a link to another snipershide thread, and that link will just go to the home page.

Will that issue be worked out?

That won't work, any old link pointing to the old site will not work. The old site is gone and old links are not gonna work.

As far as google, I have added the new forum to the webmaster tools, that was done immediately. If you continue to search the old site, the redirect is all you'll get.

You are talking 11 years of history being at the old address and less than 30 days at the new address, so if you can't get to something, oh fucking well. The old site is gone, we did not redirect every thread, it was enough of a pain in the ass to begin with moving what we did.

Honestly the whining and crying is getting old, use the site search engine, vBulletin works much better than UBB ever did, that includes the search. If you are unable to savvy the way to search in Google without running into old links, use the search engine here.

A lot of things didnt' transfer over, it was two separate systems, shit doesn't work, we get it, you lost posts, the old links are dead, the old photo gallery is empty, UBB Code is now plain text that looks like shit.

Data moves so fast here as shit cycles through it will start replacing the old with the new.

Finally if Google is not moving fast enough for you, complain to them, I went in and added the new forum, I did my part and whining is not gonna change it, i can't add it again.

That won't work, any old link pointing to the old site will not work. The old site is gone and old links are not gonna work.

As far as google, I have added the new forum to the webmaster tools, that was done immediately. If you continue to search the old site, the redirect is all you'll get.

You are talking 11 years of history being at the old address and less than 30 days at the new address, so if you can't get to something, oh fucking well. The old site is gone, we did not redirect every thread, it was enough of a pain in the ass to begin with moving what we did.

Honestly the whining and crying is getting old, use the site search engine, vBulletin works much better than UBB ever did, that includes the search. If you are unable to savvy the way to search in Google without running into old links, use the search engine here.

A lot of things didnt' transfer over, it was two separate systems, shit doesn't work, we get it, you lost posts, the old links are dead, the old photo gallery is empty, UBB Code is now plain text that looks like shit.

Data moves so fast here as shit cycles through it will start replacing the old with the new.

Finally if Google is not moving fast enough for you, complain to them, I went in and added the new forum, I did my part and whining is not gonna change it, i can't add it again.

Sorry man, i didn't mean to piss you off. Seriously, i was just curious what was going on.

Go to Bing, and type in snipers hide: (enter search here without the parentheses)

and you will get the same thing that google SHOULD do on a much better search engine.