• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Got a LabRadar, need a battery suggestion

kentuckyMarksman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
Got a LabRadar recently. It works great, wish I bought it earlier.

Anyway, I'd like to use a rechargeable battery with it. What are most people using?

Any of the USB "small brick" batteries on Amazon are fine. You don't have to over-think this one. This doesn't draw a lot of power. Mine is about the size of a cigarette pack, and lasts for way more hours than I need it for.

As mentioned, pretty much anything works. get a longer USB cord so it reaches whether you are on a table or need to place it on the ground (6ft is fine.) I like something 10,000 mah or more and lasts a number of trips. I use this one and it fast charges my phone as well.

Small tip: I start and monitor everything from my phone with the LabRadar app...really nice for creating new series and arm/disarm. Also syncs the data for looking at it later.

Reactions: max1840
Pay attention to what you order on Amazon, a member here fried theirs with a graphene battery unit that was capable of outputting other than 5 volts over USB. Will see if I can find the thread.

found:

Pay attention to what you order on Amazon, a member here fried theirs with a graphene battery unit that was capable of outputting other than 5 volts over USB. Will see if I can find the thread.

found:
This!!
Be careful because you can fry the unit permanently. Also LR recommends not to use thin, small gauge cables to connect either. Read the details of the thread linked above regarding what caused the failure. I just bought the battery and cable from LR.

Wish someone made a rechargeable unit that fit inside the LabRadar battery compartment. I hate cords and knocked the battery off my bench one time and it broke the connector on the cord (but thankfully the plug on LR was fine).

Reactions: 6.5SH
Wish someone made a rechargeable unit that fit inside the LabRadar battery compartment. I hate cords and knocked the battery off my bench one time and it broke the connector on the cord (but thankfully the plug on LR was fine).
Great idea, but until that time heavy duty velcro is your friend.

While you are at it get one of these and will eliminate any issues when shooting suppressed.

Then just get yourself a set of these:

or

Reactions: bunny too

or

That is what I use, lasts a couple weeks before having to pull and recharge.

or

I have those, but there was something about using NiMH batteries with the LabRadar when I first bought mine that was an issue I thought, maybe that has been resolved.

I use the Energizer Power Plus rechargeable batteries. I think you can get them at Ace Hardware.

I have those, but there was something about using NiMH batteries with the LabRadar when I first bought mine that was an issue I thought, maybe that has been resolved.

The Labradar seems to not read NiMH voltages properly. They are 1.2V each while alkaline is 1.5V so the Labradar shows your NiMH batteries are depleted but they're really not.

This will save your connector

NetDot Gen10 Magnetic Micro USB to Micro USB Adapter Converter(2 Pack Black) https://a.co/d/3Tk1GFZ

I've had great luck in general with nightcore batteries. They have a bunch of electronic protection built-in and they are rain resistant

Lightweight carbon fiber energy brick

20220720141235_32984.jpg

This will save your connector

NetDot Gen10 Magnetic Micro USB to Micro USB Adapter Converter(2 Pack Black) https://a.co/d/3Tk1GFZ

Good call. I bought one and it works like a charm. Only negative is the adapter that goes into the Labadar sticks out enough that the rubber boot doesn't sit flush.

BTW
I noticed Labradar broadcasts in the K-Band range that police use for their speed radars. It's actually in the lower band that I find a lot of police using. So out of curiosity I fired it up and my Uniden R3 picked up the signal.

Reactions: greentick
Make life easy and order the battery from LabRadar. I was having issues with a name brand battery. Believe it was an Anker but not sure. Regardless switched to the LabRadar battery and issues went away. My unit would restart when shots were fired.

Reactions: vh20
Make life easy and order the battery from LabRadar. I was having issues with a name brand battery. Believe it was an Anker but not sure. Regardless switched to the LabRadar battery and issues went away. My unit would restart when shots were fired.
Yep. 24.95, so how much can you really save with another option? I like the LED % Charge Remaining display, as well. Plus, it includes self-locking adhesive tapes to secure it to the unit, plus a cable, plus it is guaranteed to be compatible. I don't see the point in looking for other options.

Reactions: greentick
Only negative is the adapter that goes into the Labadar sticks out enough that the rubber boot doesn't sit flush.
IMG_7100.jpeg
IMG_7099.jpeg
I just provided a relief for the cover to close. More interested in protecting the trigger port than the magnetic connector that are only a few $$ each.

Like other people have said, use the Labradar battery for $25. Works great and has the remaining battery percentage right on the front.