• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Got me a Freebee!

nutzo396

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2008
Cedar Springs, Michigan
Spent the holidays with a friend of mine down south. One night the topic turns to 22lr rimfires and the fact that I don't own one.He went to the closet and pulled it out saying he had 4 22's and he hasnt shot this one in years. WooHoo! Freebee! Gotta love the squirrel on the stock. Glenfield Marlin 60.

GlenfieldMarlin60.jpg

Re: Got me a Freebee!

The Marlin 60 ought to do well for you . . . and your grandchildren!

I love my Marlin 60. It is the 1 rifle that I know for a fact, short of dire straights, will never leave my safe. Well over 25,000 rounds through the tube and still shoots like a champ.

The ole Glenfield is a classic and many a ground squirrel has fellen to the straight shooting Marlin.

Pat

My Father bought me my first rifle; a Marlin Glennfield! Regrettably I traded it for a Sendra AR15 when I was young. Selfish on my part. Would do just about anything to get it back!

I'm pretty giddy about it too! There's not much i like to do more than getting trigger time. Just now I'll be able to do it a hell of a lot cheaper than my 30-06 or .223 ( and contemplating a 280AI build ). My buddy mentioned that it would FTF since new and that's why it's hardly even been shot. I gleaned alot of good info from another sight(Rimfire Central has an impressive thread on just the 60) that will help me get it going reliably.The pic really doesn't do it justice.It's a 98%'r for sure. Maybe next time I go down to visit I'll have to mention another caliber I don't own.
grin.gif

there's model 60 chatter going on now also at http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1542684&gonew=1#UNREAD

i also had one of these, used it with a combo of other things i had around that i didn't use to trade for .300 magnum.

it was a hell of a good shooter, was actually used by my dad b-4 i got to plink off rats at the local dump, and me when i was youger to "make dust"

b-4 i made the trade, i took it with a brick of ammo out to the strip pit and "made dust".

damn thing shot unbelievable, with about a billion shots through it betwwen dad and i and 40 years of gunk in the action.

even though tube fed doesn't turn me on anymore, i still wish that 60 was still in my safe, just like TURK.

are you gonna do this to it http://selousscouts.blogspot.com/2008/06/marlin-model-60-survival-rifle.html
or keep it natural?

I used to hate those Marlins growing up.

My brothers had a couple of Marlins apiece, and my dad had one. I spent big money, and got a 10/22 instead. Every one of those Marlins would put my Ruger to shame. Man, I hated those Marlins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to hate those Marlins growing up.

My brothers had a couple of Marlins apiece, and my dad had one. I spent big money, and got a 10/22 instead. Every one of those Marlins would put my Ruger to shame. Man, I hated those Marlins. </div></div>

Even though the Marlin isn't as configurable (read: it isn't really configurable at all), it's a better shooter IMO.

I had a number of Marlin model 60's and ended up swapping them off thinking that they were "jam a matics." That was probably a mistake as the rifles are really reliable. I let them get so crappy and dry inside that the rifles didn't have a chance to function correctly.

I pulled an old Ruger 10-22 out a few nights ago and gave it a look. I hadn't fired the rifle in years and was shocked by what it looked like inside! There was so much crap inside that it will take a scraper to get it off. It was packed with powder grains, lead shavings and grime beyond belief. Nothing remotely related to lubrication was evident.

That I could allow that mess to accumulate and then to LEAVE it that way makes me wonder what the heck I was thinking. I'm sure I gave the Marlins the same treatment and chalked the malfunctions up to lousy design. DUH!

I bought a new Marlin Mod 60 and it's a keeper. It will be taken care of properly and will perform as expected.

I'm not proud of telling this but it was a real awakening for me and some of you may learn from it. I alway took care of my other rifles and pistols but let the .22's lay just the way I brought them home. .22 rimfire rifles need maintenance too! Lesson learned.

Flash

I took it completely apart and cleaned it up good.Really not much to clean up.I don't think it's been shot much.I noticed that when It tightened up the left forward action screw that the bolt would stick and had to be helped forward to close even after lubing.If I backed the screw off even the slightest amount it would close freey under spring pressure.I made a .003 shim to go between the action side wall and the inner body and it cycles freely without any percievable play after tightening that screw. I'm thinking it might be a machining error from the factory but I don't have anything to compare it to. I don't claim to be a gunsmith but I don't see any issues with what I've done.If I'm doing a bad thing, please let me know.

I had one of those that I lost when my house was broken into many years ago. It was my first 22 when I was a kid. I shot bricks of ammo thru that thing. I loved it.

Hope this doesn't come across wrong....

...but IMHO you got what you paid for. I had a marlin 60 about 15-20 yrs ago. I paid $60 for it. Cleaned the shit out of it. After a brick of ammo, about 40 FTF's and barely minute-of-beer-can accuracy at 40 yds, I traded it for 3 NIW USGI M14 mags at a gun show. As far as I was concerned at the time I came out way ahead...

Maybe mine was just a lemon or I did something wrong. Good luck w/ yours!

-Slice