• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Got my first suppressor...

Drew_1312

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2009
Rochester, Indiana
I'll start this off by saying that I just feel like venting my frustration!

I finally went and bought my suppressor on Thursday. Being that I live in a smaller town, I drove north about an hour to a Class 3 dealer that had the M4-2000 in stock. This is a fairly large gun shop and I've heard some good things about them. I got there ten minutes after they opened.

Now I wanted to buy the can from Major Malfunction because I talked to Bryon a few times and he really helped me out. This gun shop told me that they would charge me $100 to do the transfer, which I wasn't happy about, but I understood. I talked to their "suppressor guy" and got him to come down on the price. I ended up paying the same price that Bryon was going to charge, and now I don't have to pay the $100 transfer fee.

Like I said, I got there ten minutes after they opened, went right to "their suppressor guy" and paid cash. I got a receipt and he said "I'll fill out the paper work when I get time and mail it to you"...are you f***ing kidding me! Maybe I'm way off and this is normal, but holy hell, you can't even take a few minutes and fill out the paper work while I'm there. He said that the owner would have to sign it and that he wasn't in. Ok, I guess I could understand that so I took my $900+ piece of paper (receipt) and left.

Now my wife and I are heading back north to do some shopping tomorrow (Saturday). I called "the suppressor guy" today before noon and told him that I would be in town on Saturday and wondered if I could stop by and pick up the paper work while I'm there. His response, "there's no way I'll be able to get it done by then, and I don't work weekends". What the hell!! How long does it take to do this paper work. I've got an SBR and I didn't think the paperwork that I filled out for that was very hard, but what do I know. Not to mention the fact that he's had two full days to get it done! He told me that he wouldn't be able to get to the paperwork until Monday morning, when he comes in early! Again, he told me that he would mail it to me when he gets it done.

Now I wasn't expecting for balloons and confetti to fall from the ceiling, or for them to roll out the red carpet for me, but damn, a little appreciation would have been nice! I just dropped almost a thousand dollars and you can't even take the time to fill out some paperwork for a customer that's already paid! They honestly acted as if they did me a favor by selling this to me, and not the other way around! When I was in the store there were maybe three other people in there looking around, and they had at least five employees in there that I could see. Don't tell me he couldn't sit down with me to get the paperwork filled out while I was there. Ok, maybe the owner did have to sign it, but I called the guy the day before and told him I would be there in the morning and what I wanted to buy.

Needless to say, when I left the store I felt like I needed to go home and take a shower because I just got raped! Anyway, I just had to bitch about my experience purchasing my first suppressor. Maybe I'm way off on my judgement, and if I am please let me know!

Thanks and take care...ANDY

Re: Got my first suppressor...

This should take about 15 minutes. Fill out the form 4 yourself and take it in there for them to sign.

I would ask for my money back and go and find a new dealer.

When I went to get mine ... he did not charge me a single cent for the paperwork and it was typed up and ready for me when I arrived.

Dealers like that dont deserve to be in business.

What a crock of shit! I have also heard of dealers charging people to do the paperwork too.

The easiest way to do it that I have found is to use Adobe Acrobat Pro. Just save a copy of all the Form 4s of each suppressor and all you have to do is to fill in the customers information, the serial number and the date. It takes all of 2 minutes to fill out since the manufacturer, length, model, and FFL information is already filled out.

Ask him if he'd rather make time to fill it out, or make time to retrieve your cash from his bank account. No, scratch that. Just tell him to bring your cash and find another dealer. He's a lazy asshat.

Yeah man, I've been hosed around before too.....it eats at you like a cancer while you're waiting and affects every part of life. Go get your money back!!! You'll feel better. I'm just afraid the arrogant F#%k won't give your money back.

Definately go somewhere else man! And, I would tell him that I would be posting all over the net about your negative experience with his customer service. thats total crap. I bought my first suppresor is Houston, TX at a small shop and not only did they handle all of the ppwk while I was there but they set up my LLC ppwk as well for a nominal $75 fee.

And, to plug my suppresor maker and all around good guy Zak Smith who runs Demigod LLC and Thundebeast Suppresors I would highly suggest you speak with him before you buy a suppresor. I spent 9+ yrs on a swat team and this guy has more knowledge than the swat armorer who worked on all of our guns. He even knows more about optics than anyone I have ever spoken to.....EVER. Plus, the guy can just flat out shoot....he doesn't just build them.

I feel your pain!!!
Sent a copy of my trust to my local (40 miles away) suppressor dealer two weeks ago for him to look over to make sure it looked ok. Then he was supposed to make sure his distributor or AAC had the cyclone in stock and call me so I could make payment and get form 4 started. I have called probably 20 times (he's always in a gun class it is a shooting range also) emailed 5 times and I am about to get pissed.

I don't have another dealer within 250 miles of me though so not really any other options even if I do a transfer I'll still have to use them.

Sucks!!

Why I understand what your saying is frustrating don't think that because you spent $900 bucks thats what they made. You stated he came down a bit in price which matched a Major Dealer's price, so they made even less profit to help you with the purchase...now that being said I still think they are being LAZY and I too would take the advice already given and try and find another dealer, if not now, in the future.
Just my 2ct

I know where you are coming from, it sounds like they could handle the transaction in a more professional manner. Also a thing to remember is, patience is the name of the game with NFA items and you are tied to the dealer until he transfers you the item. It's in your best interest to keep things copacetic at least, as not to incur any other wait times because of the bad blood between you.

Take into consideration that you are time ahead already because you don't have to wait on a form 3 as you would from an out of state source. Also price matching the largest retailer of suppressors is pretty damn good for a local shop IMO.

As a last resort, check around to see if any other stores in drivable distance have one in stock and will match the price you already got if they continue dragging their feet.

Whatever your decision is, try to build a good relationship with whatever dealer you choose because chances are it won't be your last NFA item, as I bet you will enjoy that can.

Wow. I've got several suppressors and never gone though anything even remotely like that. I did all the paperwork myself and just gave it to the dealers to sign and return to me to mail it in.

A lot of good points here. Code made some good points especially. I'd give it a few more days and if nothing then get my money back if you can find another dealer.

Just like everyone else here; I say get your money back. I had to travel the same distance for a dealer, and I never even met with my dealer until he had my paperwork back. We did everything via email and scanner.

Hey guys, I've been out of town all day and just got back. Thanks for all the input and moral support, it's greatly appreciated.

To touch on a few points that have been made, their "suppressor guy" told me that if I purchased the suppressor from them, or if they order one for me, then they would not charge me to do the paperwork. Now if I purchased the can myself (from out of state, like from Major Malfunction) and had it sent to them to do the transfer, this is when they would charge me the $100 to do the paperwork. Now I can understand this, but still don't like it.

It was not Acme Sports, but sounds like it would be a fitting name for this joker!

I know that by them coming down on the price the way they did was good on their part, and I was very greatful that they did so. I also know that just because I spent $900 or so, that they didn't actually make that much off of my purchase.

When I initially spoke with them, I expected (and offered) to bring the paperwork with me so all they had to do was fill in their part of the form and sign it. I was told that this wasn't neccessary because they already had all the paperwork and it was no problem for them to get it filled out. I was told this by someone other than their "suppressor guy".

I know that I'd feel better if I got my money back and told them to stick it, which is really what I want to do. With that said, I'm not the type to cause problems or make waves until it's absolutely neccessary. I just want to get this put behind me and move on. Since he told me that he wouldn't be able to get to the paperwork until Monday morning (which is a crock of shit in my opinion), then I'll probably give it until Thusrday or so. If I haven't received any paperwork by then, you can bet your ass they'll be getting a call. I'll most likely call Tuesday to make sure he got it done and in the mail. Unfortunately I know that I'm tied to the dealer until I get my paperwork approved, that's why I haven't stirred the pot yet.

Here's another concern and question though. When my paperwork does get approved by the ATF, will it get sent to me and I take it to them to pick up the can, or will it get sent to them and they call me when it's in. If it's the latter of the two, then I'm worried that they may not call me for a week or two after they get the paperwork in. With what I've experienced thus far, nothing would surprise me.

Unfortunately there's not many Class 3 Dealers that are close to me. I'm sure that there are some others that I don't know about, but I chose them becasue they had what I wanted in stock and I knew that this would save me a little time.

Anyway, thanks again for all the input and support. I do appreciate all of it and that's why I love this forum. I'll keep you posted.

Take care...ANDY

I hold an 07/C2. If someone comes into our place and pays for an NFA item that we have in stock, they will leave with two copies of a F4 ready for the CLEO and two fingerprint cards (unless it's a transfer to a trust or corp). There is no need to make people wait on the paperwork, especially since the ATF conveniently provides a fill-in PDF form where you can save your dealer info. It takes all of 10 minutes to fill out the customer and firearm info, maybe 15 if you're a two-fingered typist.

I would attempt to find a new dealer except you'll probably get hit with a restocking fee.

ATF sends forms to the transferor, not the transferee, so the FFL will get them. My advice is to note down the serial number of the suppressor and make sure that Block 9 on the form indicates that you are permitted to contact the ATF to request the status of the transfer. Once it goes from 'Pending' to 'Approved' it should get to the FFL in 2-3 weeks, depending on how quickly the examiner moves it from his desk to the mailroom.

Just an off the point piee of info....if you go the trust or LLC route to purchase a suppresor their are only about 10 YES I said 10 people in the entire US who approve the applications for suppresors. Each one of these people have about a 1000 files on their desk that they are suppposed to get through each week. Hence, it take anywhere from 30-120 days to get your ppwk approved. I got my first ppwk approved in about 58 days which everyone seemed to be very impressed by (I was even impressed).

More impressive was that I got my can from Thunderbeast and I will tell you that as soon as the ppwk went through I got a call the same day from the gun shop telling me to come pick up my can. No delay...Zak sent my can over with all of his side of the ppwk as soon as the can was finished on his end. Massively impressed. I love it when people know their shit and get things done right. Zak Smith is one of those kind of guys and the guys at Republic Arms in Houston, TX know what they are doing....they got it all right the first time.

Find someone you trust and looks like they know what they are doing and can properly fill out a form and the process is just much easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an off the point piee of info....if you go the trust or LLC route to purchase a suppresor their are only about 10 YES I said 10 people in the entire US who approve the applications for suppresors. Each one of these people have about a 1000 files on their desk that they are suppposed to get through each week. Hence, it take anywhere from 30-120 days to get your ppwk approved. I got my first ppwk approved in about 58 days which everyone seemed to be very impressed by (I was even impressed).

More impressive was that I got my can from Thunderbeast and I will tell you that as soon as the ppwk went through I got a call the same day from the gun shop telling me to come pick up my can. No delay...Zak sent my can over with all of his side of the ppwk as soon as the can was finished on his end. Massively impressed. I love it when people know their shit and get things done right. Zak Smith is one of those kind of guys and the guys at Republic Arms in Houston, TX know what they are doing....they got it all right the first time.

Find someone you trust and looks like they know what they are doing and can properly fill out a form and the process is just much easier. </div></div>

It's kind of hard to follow what you mean in the above post but I will say that all of the ATF/NFA examiners will sign off on approved paperwork for a trust as long as your trust is legal and falls within the guidelines for state and federal law. They always check federal regs for trusts along with your state laws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an off the point piee of info....if you go the trust or LLC route to purchase a suppresor their are only about 10 YES I said 10 people in the entire US who approve the applications for suppresors. Each one of these people have about a 1000 files on their desk that they are suppposed to get through each week. Hence, it take anywhere from 30-120 days to get your ppwk approved. I got my first ppwk approved in about 58 days which everyone seemed to be very impressed by (I was even impressed).

Find someone you trust and looks like they know what they are doing and can properly fill out a form and the process is just much easier. </div></div>

Does Art over at Republic still charge people to fill out the form 4?

NFA= huge waiting game..

try buying a form 4 out of state machine gun. that is like a 9-10 month wait on 2 form 4 xfers.

congrats on your new can now hurry up and wait lol

My 1st suppressor experience wasn't the greatest. Bought one from SAS got sent to my class 3 dealer (2 hours away) real quick. Asked if he'd mail my paperwork to me (save a trip) sure I'll send it tomorrow. Course I was in the middle of wheat harvest which lasts 2 weeks. Called the guy said I would pick up paperwork as I was on my way through the town, well he was out of town. Anyway to make a long story short from beginning to end took me 9 months from when I paid money, to when I went and picked up the can. He did wave the $75 transfer fee for not being timely on my end. Then to top it off found a class 3 dealer 20 miles away about 2 weeks after I got my can. Course this was right after KS passed the class 3 law again. Oh, what fun!

Yeah I don't mind and completely understand the wait. With that said, some of these places are dragging their feet on things that do NOT take long, and that just adds to an already lengthy process. And to top it off it is bad business!

Just by my post on this thread I received a pm from a guy/dealer not to far from me that has a Cyclone in stock. I still haven't heard from the other place so it's pretty clear who I'm gonna buy from! And I can bet this won't be my last suppressor.

I beleive he charges a minmimal fee....not sure of the amount but he knows what he is doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweetbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NFA= huge waiting game..

try buying a form 4 out of state machine gun. that is like a 9-10 month wait on 2 form 4 xfers.

congrats on your new can now hurry up and wait lol </div></div>

+1

I'm still not sure that the guy I sold my SBR to last year has been able to pick it up from his dealer yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I beleive he charges a minmimal fee....not sure of the amount but he knows what he is doing. </div></div>

That's pretty fucked up that he still charges to fill out a Form 4 when everyone else in town does it as a courtesy.

Just a quick update for anyone who cares...

I called the "suppressor guy" this afternoon and, can you believe it, he said he got the paperwork done today and that it was going out in the mail!! And it ONLY took 4 days! It's truly amazing how FAST some people work.

Now we'll see if this is the proverbial "the checks in the mail" tactic.

Thanks again everyone and take care...ANDY

My first suppressor experience was pretty painless. Bought a SAS suppressor from Sotexhunter here on the hide and had Tom Sarver at TVP do my transfer.

Sotex was timely in getting the form 3 out. When it was approved and the can shipped to Tom, I got a txt message 2 minutes after it arrived at his door. As a bonus, I got to use my suppressor while at Tom's range during the wait for my Form 4 approval. Tom called me the day the approved form 4 got back and I picked it up at my convenience. Can't ask for much more than that.

Re: Process to get my 2nd suppresor??

Once you have your LLC all set up and own at least one can is buying a second can similar to the first time around...ie all the waiting, ppwk? Or do I just need to wait for a suppresor serial number and fill out a form to add it to my LLC's assets?

Any idea how long it would take if I bout a can for my custom .45acp? Is this another 2-4 month ordeal?

The recession must be hitting them hard...it's not exactly a super nice shop. Frankly, I don't really know how they turn a profit. But, they did get my LLC and can paperwork filled out correctly and I got my first can in about 54 days.