• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmith for NFA Firearm Restoration

Destmiker

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2006
Florida
To make a long story short, my wife recently inherited two Ithaca Auto Burglar guns that originally belonged to her grandfather. We actually found an old newspaper photo of him carrying one of them in his patrol car back in the 50's when he was a Sheriff in NC. That's the good news, the bad news is that both guns spent a week under water in a flood and then were stored away, after some minimal maintenance, by another family member for nearly 20 years. So these guns really need to be restored (and I think they can be). Since they are potentially pretty valuable and have a lot of sentimental value, we're prepared to spend the money necessary to have a first rate restoration done.

To that point, we contacted Turnbull Restorations and were informed that they do not handle NFA firearms - which I can understand. they weren't able to recommend anyone, but I tried a few other recommendations and keep running into dead ends.

So, here's a Hail Mary - anyone know a first rate smith who might be able to do a quality restoration on these guns?

Appreciate any info.

I don't know if he works on stuff like that but Bob Naess at Black River Militaria does work on a lot of other NFA stuff. If he doesn't he might be able to point you in the right direction.

I heard about these guys a long time ago via a co worker and their work seemed solid, but don’t have any first hand experience. They seem to deal in vintage NFA and their work order form lists NFA/DD.