• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing gunsmith school

Country DeVil

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Co
I am thinking about taking some gunsmithing classes, does anyone have any suggestions on where to go? any info would be helpful.
thanks

Re: gunsmith school

Apprenticing under a professional gunsmith, who does the type of work you want to do, is what I'd suggest.

Going to gunsmithing school is a great alternative to specializing right out of the gate. You'll learn a little bit about everything, rather than speicalizing.

I'm going to Yavapai Gunsmithing right now.

What type of gunsmithing are you interested in? If you want to get into machining and barrel jobs, I would look at local tech schools for machine tool technology curriculums to start with, then a local apprenticeship. The general machinist background provides a good foundation to apply to firearms as well as a good fallback if you can't (or don't want to) pursue gunsmithing. This is the path that I took and I am glad that I did so. I "double majored" in manual machining and CNC programming, then started working with a very knowledgeable group of fellas at APA. : )
Feel free to ask away, shoot me a PM, or email if you have any questions.

Jason

nragunsmithing.org

There are between 7 and 9 schools in the country. Every June, several of the schools offer NRA schools ranging from a day to a couple weeks which specialize in certain aspects or weapons. I highly suggest these before dropping LIFE and diving into a hobby as a career.

If you want to make a million as a gunsmith, start out with two million.

TIFWIW. you just got my first post, make it count
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Nixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of gunsmithing are you interested in? If you want to get into machining and barrel jobs, I would look at local tech schools for machine tool technology curriculums to start with, then a local apprenticeship. The general machinist background provides a good foundation to apply to firearms as well as a good fallback if you can't (or don't want to) pursue gunsmithing. This is the path that I took and I am glad that I did so. I "double majored" in manual machining and CNC programming, then started working with a very knowledgeable group of fellas at APA. : )
Feel free to ask away, shoot me a PM, or email if you have any questions.

Jason </div></div>

Good to go, please send me the SOP's for APA and that should cover it. haha

Mark

Since your in Calif. I would look towards Susanville and Lassen College. They have a full time Gunsmithing program and offer the NRA short term summer classes as well.

I am an Armorer right now (I really just change parts) and am looking to go into Gunsmithing full time in retirement. My plan is to take Machine operating and welding at a local college, while taking short term gunsmithing classes until I retire and can study full time. I figure that way I have quite a bit more machine experience under my belt before I get to the heavier machine oriented gunsmithing classes/work.

good ol lassen college. watch out cuz susanville is small town as it gets, lol. trust me i grew up there.

Come down here to NC and live with us rednecks for a while and go to the school in Troy..Montgomery county by God NC.

Lassen can't possibly compare to Tishomingo, Ok.

The dorms actually allowed students to keep their archery equipment in their rooms and they could practice on 3D targets in the parking lot.

Gunsmiths could have weapon components in the room to work on them after hours. (i.e. sanding a stock)

It's so redneck, I went as the Nuge for Halloween, and no one even noticed. I had a ball there...

You may want to try the NRA courses held at Trinidad college in Trinidad, CO. Here is the [Link] and 2010 schedule, I expect 2011 will be very similar. You will also be about 20 minutes from the NRA Whittington Center ( http://www.nrawc.org ) which is an outstanding shooting facility. You can also come compete in the Sporting Rifle Match

Just for comparison, what are the costs involved in the options discussed above?

Approximate cost (tuition, etc) for Lassin, Trinidad & others = $ ?

Approximate cost for local college machine classes and gunsmithing classes = $?

OK, now how much time is involved in both options above? One would be a full time participation and lost income would be a consideration versus partial day/night classes.

Of course I can't leave out my last question; what are the variable costs (food, lodging, transportation, supplies, etc) ?

I wish I was smart and rich...I would do each of them!