• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Has anyone not gained accuracy switching to a high end barrel?

wwrhodes91

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2012
I was just curious if anyone has every lost accuracy after switching to a high end barrel from factory? I have a 700 5R that shoots great (Usually around 1/3 moa @100), but when I shoot the barrel out I'll probably get some work done, true the action, and put a nice barrel on it. I wonder if there is any realistic chance of it not shooting better, or even if it would be possible to shoot worse.

Any Pictures of "usual" 1/3 moa groups??

That'd be the best shooting 5R ever.

For a 308 your looking at 10,000 rounds on the barrel anyhow. Not gonna burn it out overnight. And if its burnt out it won't matter what the next barrel will do because its either get a new one or throw the whole thing away.

Is it possible? Yea. Quality components installed poorly perform poorly. Choose good components and a reputable smith and you should expect good results. However at 1/3 MOA don't touch it until it starts opening up quite a bit.

For a 308 your looking at 10,000 rounds on the barrel anyhow. Not gonna burn it out overnight. And if its burnt out it won't matter what the next barrel will do because its either get a new one or throw the whole thing away.

Those were the first two groups I ever shot with it. As far as averages, usually a little bigger groups than the first pic, but my 5 round groups are usually about even with the second pic.

Is it possible? Yea. Quality components installed poorly perform poorly. Choose good components and a reputable smith and you should expect good results. However at 1/3 MOA don't touch it until it starts opening up quite a bit.

This...

The parts are only as good as the guy you get to put them together, but if all your groups as good as the ones in the pics with factory ammo I wouldn't touch a damn thing until your groups start to open up. A shooter is a shooter, and it looks like you are in a special group of people who got one without the cost of a custom.

plus 10000 veryone says dont touch it..i have the same rifle as you and i was shooting over moa most of the time..so i decided to purchase 6mm bartlein barrel thinking rebareling it to 6mm creedmoor.before receiving blank barrel i decided "ahh what the hell" ill try different powder for the last fun.by the way ive only shot less than 700 on it.so i did try RL15 instead of varget with same set up 175smk...then first group one hole! then let 2 friends shot it they also got one hole! then day after barrel got home..i was like,now what! and ive been having the same advice as you"DONT TOUCH IT!"
now im stock with new barrel along with 150 brass 6mm hornady CM brass i recently purchased here..told myself ill wait till this 308 get toast? the way we shoot here in hawaii it will prolly take 10yrs or so:).now im just saving fund to purchase custom action for blank b arrel.
heres my 5r
20130403_143309_zps39879a69.jpg

some are 7 bullets on a hole:) i like to get more convincing shot sometimes
20130602_194336_zps1a8db939.jpg

10,000 rounds-1/3MOA from a factory Rem tube-It seems a little high to me. Chrome lined FN's yes, non- chrome lined factory tube fantastic!, if this is the wear you can expect from a 308 with 5R rifling, Remington is missing a great advertising opportunity!

Last edited:
I am a similar situation.
My 308 which started as a base LTR is extremely accurate.
5 shot groups I can cover with a dime are normal.

I have thought about rebarelling with the primary goal of getting a bit faster barrel but I probably wont mess with it until the groups open up.

Last edited:

I dunno my 5R does pretty well.
Maybe not all in the same hole but not all that bad.

Yup.... A bunch of signals groups.

Go put 5 groups on the same piece of paper then do it for 5 different range sessions then you'll have what your rifle/you are really doing.

you got a great barrel there now, shoot it till it is worn out and replace it with a quality barrel and you'll be good to go.

My Rem 5R has a 1:11.25" twist.

FH

EDIT: my 5R produces 5-shot groups of 0.6" or less at 100 yards with my hand loads of 44.0 gr of VV N550 under 168 gr SMKs and has produced a few 1/2" groups of 5 shots with Hornady Superperformance 175gr Match factory loads. Factory rifles can be accurate though are not necessarily designed for harsh conditions and may thus be less reliable in those conditions than a purpose-built harsh conditions rifle.

Last edited:
I usually average around .5"-1" groups with my remmy 5r 24" barrel and I usually shoot 168 grain amax...I have over 1k documented rounds in it. I think ammo plays a huge part in this as it REALLY likes the amax better than smk...

night eagle

I usually average around .5"-1" groups with my remmy 5r 24" barrel and I usually shoot 168 grain amax...I have over 1k documented rounds in it. I think ammo plays a huge part in this as it REALLY likes the amax better than smk...

night eagle

In my part it was the powder.i tried 168 smk 168 amax 175smk same powder primer and lapua brass and they all give me identical result 1moa to 1.5 sometimes bughole here and there but when i switch powderfrom varget to rl15 dramaticaly u saw better result to .3- .5 with 175smk ill be trying 168 amax n smk with rl15 soon:)

Last edited:
I have several full builds. My 5R, in a McMillan A1-3, cut to 20 inches, shoots as well as most of them. Better than some.

I just hit this spot with my savage 10 FP with a 5 R on it, I like shooting it so much I am neglecting all other guns. Its almost boring loading ammo for it now that I found the sweet spot, 43 gr varget over a 175 smk, or 43.1 RL 15 over a 175 smk. I feels so dam good to shoot 10 rounds through 1 hole, not every time but often. Win brass or Lapua, both shoot well, the lapua a bot more consistent.

Last edited:
I was just curious if anyone has every lost accuracy after switching to a high end barrel from factory? I have a 700 5R that shoots great (Usually around 1/3 moa @100), but when I shoot the barrel out I'll probably get some work done, true the action, and put a nice barrel on it. I wonder if there is any realistic chance of it not shooting better, or even if it would be possible to shoot worse.

The barrel is the heart of any accurate rifle. You can do everything to the action, chamber,stock, bedding,sights and loads and if you have
a poor barrel it may shoot Ok but it will never be a one hole rifle.

The same goes for a good barrel, if all of these things are not done it will never reach its potential.

So if everything else is done right a premium barrel should improve the accuracy.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Yup.... A bunch of signals groups.

Go put 5 groups on the same piece of paper then do it for 5 different range sessions then you'll have what your rifle/you are really doing.

While I understand what you're saying, not all of us are willing to burn up components shooting groups. I rarely shoot for groups, but I feel that if the rifle performs this way every time it goes out, it's pretty decent. I'll admit that sometimes I'm having an off day and the groups open up to .6/.7moa, but those groups usually have a called pull when the shot broke.
This from my 700p. I'm in the same boat as the OP, wondering if I would see great gains by having the action worked over and a new tube installed. And I'm not interested in getting into a pissing match, I just want to know if better equipment may help me to shoot more accurately.

null-8.jpg

While I understand what you're saying, not all of us are willing to burn up components shooting groups. I rarely shoot for groups, but I feel that if the rifle performs this way every time it goes out, it's pretty decent. I'll admit that sometimes I'm having an off day and the groups open up to .6/.7moa, but those groups usually have a called pull when the shot broke.
This from my 700p. I'm in the same boat as the OP, wondering if I would see great gains by having the action worked over and a new tube installed. And I'm not interested in getting into a pissing match, I just want to know if better equipment may help me to shoot more accurately.

null-8.jpg

I,m with you. I use my chronograph during load development to eliminate bad loads and If the first couple of shots have poor SDs I stop and go
to the next load. later I un-load them and move on.

When I find a realy good load I load up that load using the same bullet lot, powder lot and I am done grouping that cartridge/rifle combination
until I have to load more. Once I load more I will normally do one test only preferably under the same conditions. (Different conditions can totally change the POI and group size.

J E CUSTOM

At the end of the Day you have to ask yourself "Can I actually shoot better than this rifle?" then you have your answer.

There are far more 1/2"capable factory 700 Remington and Savages than there are 1/2" Capable shooters out there. just an observation.

Ya, one of my 5r's stacks 10 rounds under a quarter every time I ask it to. Pretty cool & lucky I guess. I can't remember the last time I cleaned it and no break in. That one just shoots really well.